cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone buy or make a kitchen island for more counter space?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the fifth wheels and TTs have such a tiny bit of counter space, which has forced us to eliminate 70-80% of them.

Has anyone bought or made a kitchen island for more counter space? Or any other ideas will be appreciated.

We cook together every day from scratch, so together, we need a good bit of counter space for cutting, chopping, as we do a lot of stir-fries.

Most of the trailers with the wrap kitchens are on the long side and we would prefer to keep down the length.
47 REPLIES 47

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MookieKat wrote:
loulou57 wrote:
Are you asking.....what TT or fifth wheels have more counter space?

.....how to make a counter or island?

You will find that most TT or fifth wheels have the same amount of counter space. Except for a few high end 5rs that have an island. The odd TT that has an island has the sink in so you are not gaining
Our TT has a breakfast bar to the left as you first go in, with 2 stools, as well as the reg table. I use that for extra counter.

I thought you found a fifth wheel that you like the layout.

Have not settled on one yet. Still shopping.

This is a mod forum, so I am asking for counter space mods.

It is impossible to give any ideas on such a mod without KNOWING the EXACT LAYOUT of said RV.

As someone else NOTED, RVing is about COMPROMISES, you have a limited amount of SPACE to work with. You can't simply build a 6ft deep 20 ft long "island" into a RV that is 8ft wide and perhaps 40ft long like you can at your sticks and bricks home.

It seems to me that you NEED to trim down your "expectations" or perhaps you should consider just staying a Hotels. Or perhaps look at some 50+ ft Motor homes with quad super slides. Then perhaps you will find "space" for more counters..

As far as kitchen counter space, we USE THE OUTDOORS for all of our cooking. Prep work, cooking and clean up is all done outdoors, keeps the mess out of the RV. Helps to keep ANTS outside (AND YES, YOU WILL "learn" to "enjoy" ANTS when camping :M ). That works for us but we don't camp in winter nor do we full time.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. The one we have is similar to The Amazon clicky
My handle to raise and lower is different though. No wheel locks but haven't noticed a problem with rolling around while using it.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
This is a stainless steel one, I guess it would work, it has locking wheels but the height is not adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/TRINITY-EcoStorage-Stainless-Wheels-48-Inch/dp/B007W5Y91C/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1378754149&sr=1-14&keywords=stainless+island

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
I found this one on Amazon for $52.00 free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Invacare-Over-Bed-Table/dp/B000QA0EHI

Is this like what you have, Korbe? Is it stable enough to do cooking prep on? Are there any locks for the wheels to keep it from moving around while chopping?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I found a roll-around hospital cart,(the type you would eat from while in a hospital bed) and replaced the top surface to one that matched our counter. This cart has wheels and the top adjusts to whatever height we want. We will use it to extend our dinette, adjust it and roll it over to the sink, lower it and roll the wheels under the couch for a table, and normally set it in an area above where we put our dog bowls.

That is ingenious!!!

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has a resedential size double basin steel sink, there really is no counter. I use a wood cutting board to cover one side giving me work space and still 1/2 a sink. You can also buy folding shelf brackets and add your own extension (I want to do this one day)
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
In our home I have a small island on wheels. That might work for you if there is space in the RV for it. You would need a place for it to be wedged in when you travel.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the researcher in the family. When we considered a floor plan with a kitchen that only fit along two walls, I scoured the internet for movable Islands. Wanted movable, because when slides pull in, you lose some of the width depending on the set-up. So we wanted something we could push towards the back of the unit where there was more space.

I'm also a big fan of HGTV remodel shows and they've taken standard wall cabinets (because they are narrower) and turned them into Islands. Just add a lightweight wood look countertop, maybe some wheels and you're in business.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Korbe....great idea. I like that it lowers and can fit under your couch. It gives you a complete extra dining area.
Where do you store it when you travel?

I lay it on the bed. I did have to raise the legs of the couch about 2 inches so the table could easily roll under. And the raising of the couch those 2 inches made the couch a bit more comfortable.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Korbe....great idea. I like that it lowers and can fit under your couch. It gives you a complete extra dining area.
Where do you store it when you travel?

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I found a roll-around hospital cart,(the type you would eat from while in a hospital bed) and replaced the top surface to one that matched our counter. This cart has wheels and the top adjusts to whatever height we want. We will use it to extend our dinette, adjust it and roll it over to the sink, lower it and roll the wheels under the couch for a table, and normally set it in an area above where we put our dog bowls.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Someone on this forum bought a kitchen island with wheels and posted a picture here. Looked very nice and cost was reasonable too as I recall.

I did a search under and "kitchen island" got 0 results. Can you give me a link, if you know where it is?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Someone on this forum bought a kitchen island with wheels and posted a picture here. Looked very nice and cost was reasonable too as I recall.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Take a folding 6' table with you and cook outside, under the awning if raining LOL!

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Are you asking.....what TT or fifth wheels have more counter space?

.....how to make a counter or island?

You will find that most TT or fifth wheels have the same amount of counter space. Except for a few high end 5rs that have an island. The odd TT that has an island has the sink in so you are not gaining
Our TT has a breakfast bar to the left as you first go in, with 2 stools, as well as the reg table. I use that for extra counter.

I thought you found a fifth wheel that you like the layout.

Have not settled on one yet. Still shopping.

This is a mod forum, so I am asking for counter space mods.