cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone installed a generator in front of 5th wheel?

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Posted this over a the Laredo forum but I thought it would be a good idea to reach a broader audience. I am referring to a Laredo but if you have done it on another unit let me know.
We camp off the grid often so we use a Honda eu3000 for AC, micro wave and battery charge. I had a great rack on the back of my TT but would like to mount/store it in the front of a 316RL. Has anyone tried such a thing? Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIvz4FdFq6w? Wonder if there is room?
8 REPLIES 8

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
I would only use generators designed for the front of the 5th like onan and generac. Otherwise you are mounting an air cooled generator, designed to sit in the open, in an enclosed area. Then there is the whole exhaust gas thing.

There is a you tube showing a guy that mounted a winch to raise and lower generator in and out of front of 5th.

My plan is to use Larin tailgate lift to raise and lower my eu2000's in and out of the front of the 5th.

x2 on the designed idea... have a 5500 onan LP in the front compartment. gets air and exhaust air out the bottom... has the transfer switch mounted in the rear near the fuse pannel... works great.
HTML

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
I would only use generators designed for the front of the 5th like onan and generac. Otherwise you are mounting an air cooled generator, designed to sit in the open, in an enclosed area. Then there is the whole exhaust gas thing.

There is a you tube showing a guy that mounted a winch to raise and lower generator in and out of front of 5th.

My plan is to use Larin tailgate lift to raise and lower my eu2000's in and out of the front of the 5th.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a ytube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTVPeeRDwY for the pinbox mount. Looks like it would work. The DW might think it a bit unsightly though. By the way does anyone know it a eu3000 will power a 15k AC?

Flanman55
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to see how people wire in a 120V 15 amp Plug so I can do the same... Leave the generator in the front and not lift it in and out. And not have to take out the big 30 Amp. Just want a cleaner look to it.

rob-bill
Explorer
Explorer
I just carry my Honda locked to my toolbox in front of the 5th wheel hitch in my truck. Going down the road I run the gen to keep my small freezer cold.
When in camp I lock it to the trailer & just plug my shore cable into the gen works great for me.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
I saw once where someone put an enclosure for the generator on the pin box.
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to give up space for my 4 batteries.,
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like a lot of modifications just to take a portable genny along.

That front compartment mod isn't good for anything else so might as well just install a genny permanently....many 5'vrs have gens installed in front compartment or even a roadside compartment.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31