cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Booth cushion foam

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
The booth bed is getting pretty uncomfortable... the first two years it was pretty good with an egg carton mattress over it, but now year four we're really feeling it. I think the foam is just wearing down. Should we replace the foam in the cushions with "better" foam? Seems like since the cushions zip that wouldn't be too hard but maybe that's not the answer? Comments or other ideas?

Note that we do leave it in a bed most of the time but when we have a rainy day we still need to be able to make it into a booth when we stay in, so we can't just put a custom mattress there. The beauty of the egg carton mattress is that it folds down pretty small when necessary.

Did several searches and couldn't find anything... so hopefully this isn't a duplicate question!
Thanks for any ideas or tips.
Travel4Family
7 REPLIES 7

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do it your self get some silicone spray to spray on the foam before trying to put it back in the covers.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! Good to know that is the right track, and love having several options to make sure I get the right foam!!

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
We just replaced ours from Speedwell Enterprises. Great foam cushions, excellent customer service.

www.speedwellonline.com

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to add to the selections of foam places,how about This Place.:B They say they will beat any ones price.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Foam comes in various levels of firmness....firmer foam will hold its shape longer and is better for furniture that gets used every day, but will also make a firm bed. The batting that ScottG mentions is also important to help distribute weight over the foam's surface and also helps the fabric keep its shape.

You can get foam at an upholstery shop, or if you take out the existing pieces and measure them, you can order customer cut from websites like this one.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same situation, even used the egg crate foam. I finally broke down and bought new foam at an upholstery supply outfit. The BIL is an upholsterer so I had him make new cushion covers, as well. He did a great job.

Here is the supply place where I got everything: Rochford Supply
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We suffered with lousy foam in the dinette cushions for years and finally broke down and had a foam store replace it. The new foam is high quality stuff that's used in sofa cushions and since it's a petroleum product, it's costly. They also installed a 1/2" layer of some kind of batting to make it even more sofa-like.
The results are well worth it!