cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flag Pole thought

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I have found instrustions for making a PVC flag poles, which even I could make.

I was thinking instead of pounding the rebar into the ground, would there be a way to use the travel trailer to hold it. I was thinking maybe somehow connect the flag mounts to the wood(2 by 12) I put under the front jack. Now how would I connect the PVC to the wood, and still be easily stored?

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
13 REPLIES 13

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
An employee at a local bank proudly flies the Stars & Stripes when at work. He hauls it to and fro in the trunk, so it breaks down into smaller sections.

YES...I took these today while making a few Saturday morning shopping stops. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Stupid groundhog :M

Are you sure that they don't do this just to be able to find their car? ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
An employee at a local bank proudly flies the Stars & Stripes when at work. He hauls it to and fro in the trunk, so it breaks down into smaller sections.

YES...I took these today while making a few Saturday morning shopping stops. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Stupid groundhog :M

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
God Ideas, thanks
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bend about a foot of a 4' piece of rebar or rod back on itself to form a 'V'. Then bend the rod at the 2' point to make an upright 2' post with the 'V' laying flat on the ground. Place the 'V' under the tongue jack foot and the flagpole on the upright post.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd weld a short pipe nipple onto the tongue. With 18" of flagpole extended through the pipe, the pole should be held well. If I wanted to get real crazy, I could drill and thread a hole in the nipple to accept a set bolt.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
We have a "version" of the PVC flag holder that allows for a counter-weight to be added to the opposite side. There is an addition piece of smaller plastic between the PVC and the rebar to help the entire contraption spin without hanging up on the rebar. The entire thing breaks down into 3 pieces (not counting flag/name plate). Very easy to store in our passthru compartment. Went under the table when we had our small pup.

Since they are designed to spin in the wind, placing it close to the trailer tongue may be a problem. Unless you intend to just let it drape. In that case, why not just bungee it to the tongue, forgoeing the heavy piece of rebar???

Yes...the counter weight on ours is a picture of our trailer transfered to a piece of wood. The other side has mine and DW names. The dog got mad because I did not include him, so I made his own name plague to look like a bone.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
One possible way to attach it to the 2x12 would be to securely glue and/or screw a block on top of the 2x12 at one end, maybe a 4x4x6 block, and drill a hole clear through the block and the 2x12. That would give you maybe seven or eight inches of wood to keep the rebar upright. A stack of 1x or 2x plank squares in alternating directions would probably be a bit sturdier than a single block with the grain oriented vertically, but I think either one would work out just fine.

riggsp's suggestion (or possibly using a clamp of some sort, like a couple of U-bolts, rather than welding) is also very good.

Make sure you have enough space around the tongue jack for the pole to properly swivel and the flag not get fouled up in jack handles, LP containers, etc.

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Weld a piece (maybe 6") of the rebar somewhere convenient on the tongue of the TT, then put an old tennis ball on it when not in use as a safety precaution.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a travel trailer, just bungie cord it around the tongue jack. One bungie near the bottom of the jack, near the ground. The other as far up the crank shaft as possible.

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
I made a flag pole holder out of 2" by 12" metal pipe welded to a flat piece of steel about 6" by 12". It is then placed under the tongue jack just prior to unhitching. The weight of the trailer holds it in place. The flag pole itself would be put in the 2" pipe. I felt putting it under a tire interferred with extending the awning. I saw the idea someplace here on RV.net. The diameter of the holder pipe could vary depending on the diameter of the flag pole.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Idea, I could double layer the 2 by 12 and then use a spade bit to make a hole for the PVC to slide into. Now the hole would only be about 3 1/2" deep, would that be enough to hold the PVC?

thanks,
Dean
2016 Silverado

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Good thought as well, I was thinking of making my own as I was thinking of doing 2 flags, one on each side of the jack.

I just need a way to hold down the rebar or pvc.

thanks,

Dean
2016 Silverado

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
they make one that goes under the tire