cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Pump? Replace with OEM or Upgrade??

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
My pump for my fresh water tank has finally quit pumping, was acting up some last year, but wouldn't do anything this weekend.

Question when replacing it stay with the same specs? Or get one that can pump more gallons per minute?

Where and when I'm camping getting more water for the freshwater tank is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely replace. There are many very good pumps out there depending upon space available and just how much more water you want.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shurflo 4008
3 gpm/55 psi
Has internal bypass to control cycling at low flow
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the variable speed pumps. If you decide on a single speed pump don't get a higher capacity one just because it is available because it will be kicking on and off more frequently than is desirable. Our 4.0 gpm variable pump handles everything we want. It's not like a house where one might have several uses for water at the same time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM pump that came in my C was, I would assume, as cheap as they come. I can't remember exactly why, but I decided to upgrade it before it died (and keep it on hand as a spare). I went with a variable speed pump that was fairly expensive. It was a NIGHT AND DAY difference. With the OEM pump, I wondered if other people at NP campgrounds thought I had my generator on! I'm sure it wasn't that loud outside, but it felt like it from the inside. The variable speed pump is just so much better - primarily from a noise perspective. I like that it ramps up and down rather than the jolting on/off of the cheapo. I want to say I spent a couple or few hundred bucks at CW for the new one? Not sure - it's been a few years...
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A really good pump is a nice luxury. A cheaper one would do the job but a good one is just like at home.

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
My last trailer I upgraded the pump because I used it a lot. It's still probably worth the upgrade just because it's nice to have. In water pumps you get what you pay for.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Before you replace the pump, take good strong wires from your battery to the pump connections, and see how the pump performs. That will cost you very little, and it may prove a loose connection in your wiring and the expensive pump is just fine.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel