Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Mount Bike Carrier???

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We have a 2" receiver mounted to the rear bumper of our Travel Trailer and we recently purchased a 4 bike carrier from Wal Mart. We took it on it's first trip and it destroyed the paint on our bikes. No matter what I did it managed to scrape them. It was $150 rack so I thought it was OK but I guess not. We are returning that and looking for another option. The Thule looks great but is awfully expensive. Can anyone make a recommendation for a 4 bike hitch mount carrier? The difficult part seems to be that we have 2 adult sized mountain bikes, and 2 kids bikes that all need to fit. Having the kids bikes always seems to put their bikes near our chain or pedals etc. Should I just spend on the Thule or is there another less expensive option? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice here. Just make sure your registration plate isn't covered by the bicycles. Some have to move them.

IAMICHABOD wrote:
Some really good advice here,and some good bike carriers too, I have a Swagman that is rated for use on a RV. What some of the problem is that they bounce a lot and if the rack is not tight in the receiver that added movement only amplifies that bounce.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some really good advice here,and some good bike carriers too, I have a Swagman that is rated for use on a RV. What some of the problem is that they bounce a lot and if the rack is not tight in the receiver that added movement only amplifies that bounce.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. I have a whole tool box full of them.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider. This will keep everything tight.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

I also use pool noodles that are split to put around any part of the bike that may come in contact with another bike or the rack and use velcro strips to keep them on,pull them tight and press.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem with cheap bike racks. Nearly destroyed a $600 bike when the brand new rack bent almost in half on bumpy Oklahoma turnpike roads. It's just not worth it to risk using a cheap rack. We bought a used Yakima for $50 (less than the cost of the new cheap one!) it's solid steel structure holds the bikes perfectly and solid. We always put the larger adult bikes closer to the rig with the light weight kids bikes on the end.

kpratte
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
Yakima has never let me down. Pricey, but when my holds up to $4,000 of bikes at times, scratches or damage is not an option.

HoldUp 2 with option to extend for 4 bikes.
I've got the Thule equivalent and love it. Only issue is weight, the rack ways in around 50lbs. If I want to extend it, it's another 50lbs, so 100lb bike rack on the end of really long lever holding over 100lbs of bikes, yikes.

I had a friend weld c-channel into the 2" receiver and welded that to the frame. Essentially the receiver is at the bottom of a "T". It keeps the receiver from twisting and pulling off the bumper.

- Ken
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax Platinum, TRD Swaybar, Timbrens
2012 Keystone Sprinter 272BHS
Reese DC Sway, Fastway Flip, Tekonsha P3
Yamaha 2400iSHC Generator

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous trailer I used a 4 bike carrier in a receiver that ripped the bottom of the trailer frame off. Four bikes is a lot of weight on back of trailer.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:
Thule and Yakima both state in their manuals that they are not designed for use on the back of trailers or other towed vehicles. They won't honor the warranty if used in this capacity.

I believe Swagman is the only brand that actually rates their bike rack for the back of a travel trailer, and then only specific models. Their disclaimer is very similar:

'1. Purchaser is advised that the load created by rack and bicycles will exceed the strength of trailer or 5th wheel bumper, mounting location or
the bike rack. The rack is not under warranty if mounted in this location.'

While that is true, the reason is many people bolt a receiver to the bumper on the trailer and think they can use the bike carrier on this. The bike carrier ends up getting ripped off when the bumper breaks. It is possible to integrate (weld) a receiver hitch into the frame of the trailer and IMO is the only way to do this safely.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
Yakima has never let me down. Pricey, but when my holds up to $4,000 of bikes at times, scratches or damage is not an option.

Same rack I've got, awesome, and won't scratch your bikes.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Thule and Yakima both state in their manuals that they are not designed for use on the back of trailers or other towed vehicles. They won't honor the warranty if used in this capacity.

I believe Swagman is the only brand that actually rates their bike rack for the back of a travel trailer, and then only specific models. Their disclaimer is very similar:

'1. Purchaser is advised that the load created by rack and bicycles will exceed the strength of trailer or 5th wheel bumper, mounting location or
the bike rack. The rack is not under warranty if mounted in this location.'
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
Someone gave us a tip to buy a rack that holds more bikes than we actually need to carry, which gives you a little more space on the rack. I was told you'd have to do some ninja moves to get 4 bikes nicely mounted on a 4-bike rack. Seems to work for us! (We don't use this on our TT since our bumper isn't set up for that and doesn't have a hitch)
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a four bike bicycle rack on the back of a travel trailer for thousands of miles. only once did the bumper fall off due to the bouncing and weight.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When you shop for a bike carrier, check to see if it disallows use with a RV. Many if not most, do.
I have destroyed two different racks. The Swagman was the only brand I could find that stipulated it was OK with a RV. Mine is 9 years old and as solid as the day I installed it.
Then there's the bumper. Inmost cases they aren't strong enough to hold a rack. My bike rack nearly ripped my bumper completely off.
They need to be reinforced. (A spare tire is nothing like a bike carrier so don't think you'll be fine because of that)

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i had a swagman triple and it was a really good,solid rack.it also tilted down so you can open the tailgate without removing it.well worth the $.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Swagman XC. This unit holds both tires in place with on bracket holding bike in place. Our bikes don't move and inch. Little pricey but worth it.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian