cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

led light questions

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking of replacing the lights in my TT with some LED lights. would like to see some input on what color or heat range to go in the TT. was thinking of something soft in the lights above the bed and in the bathroom. So I don't go blind if one of us has to get up in the middle of the night. I could like to leave the other lights in the dressing area and in the sink area of the shower room on the brighter side. some soft in the living area for watching tv and brighter in the cooking area. Am I on the right track or have you some better ideas. I'm open for suggestions thanks
16 REPLIES 16

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3100k that were very yellow and 3100k that were very white. LEDs are hard to shop for! I just used up 3 rolls of strip LEDs from led wholesalers and they have a color chart so I knew what I was getting. BTW, the 2026 3100k strip is a very good and cheap way to convert a fluorescent. The 2026 6000k is slightly bluish but not bad. The 2026 1919k is yellow and worked great for the above-cabinet night lights. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The responses here are the reason I held off and bought them in person. Everyone's definition of what's bright, warm, or blue is completely different. And while one may have no problem with 5000k+ (Daylight), others insist on a color temp close to what they have with the existing lamps. It's a personal preference. I'd rather get what makes me warm and fuzzy than worry about the bottom line $$. This is a one time buy.

A typical RV lamp color temp is considered WW (~2700k). All of my internal LED's are 2700k with the exception of the kitchen area and the microwave LED's at 4100k (Brite White) that have far superior color rendition, and as high of a color temp my brain can stand. Storage bays are daylight. Don't know about pricing these days, but the daylight LED's used to be far cheaper.

HERE is a good article on color temp, including a pretty good color temp chart.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I used warm white lights when I replaced my lights with LEDs a couple of years ago except for the light over the stove, where the DW wanted a white light. A couple of the "warm white" LEDs turned out to be a blueish white so I used them in an outside compartment.

Most posters have mentioned only the number of LEDs as determining the brightness. There is more to it than that. At that time there were 2 LED types that were used in most of the lights, the 1210/3528 and the 5050 LEDs. The 5050 is about 2x brighter than the 1210/3528 and drew about 2x the current so it only takes half as many 5050s for the same brightness. Now there are several newer LED types, mostly brighter.

I bought my lights on eBay and am happy with the lights. I suggest buying 1 or 2 and trying them out before buying a bunch. I have found a large variation between sellers.

The last I knew all LEDs are made in China, so buying from a US vender will only increase your cost.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ron64gc
Explorer
Explorer
Try here. Takes about 2 wks from China. Good vendor.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/2011_led

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shadow Catcher wrote:
Color temperature is expressed in degrees Kelvin and a 3200K is about what you get with a conventional tungsten bulb. Bulbs in the 5600K range are actually closer to day light and bluer, but the blue disturbs the sleep cycle.

standard incandescent softwhite bulbs are typically 2700K, rather yellow looking.

Halogens get a bit less yellow and range from 3000K-3500K.

For myself I find 2700K rather dim looking and 5000K "daylight" is too over the top harsh for general lighting and I also find it rather dim looking.. 6500K is way over the top too blueish making everyone looking dead (zombies perhaps)..

For me 3000K-4100K is my just right point for brightness and decent color rendition..

It is really hard to find LEDs which TRUELY are the color temperature that they state so you will end up having to experiment with a bunch of different LEDS to find the ones that suit your taste..

I have had problems finding LEDS in 3000K-4100K range which I like, pretty much most of them is 2700K OR 6500K..

I also had a problem finding LEDs bright and small enough to fit into my Puck style lights which had G4 20W halogens..

Found THESE LEDS which are Warm White or 3000K and they actually have the light output which matches the 20W halogens!

The color is really subjective (not to mention ACTUAL LIGHT OUTPUT varies, manufacturers tend to overstate the brightness) so if possible buy only one or two to try before committing to a large purchase..

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Color temperature is expressed in degrees Kelvin and a 3200K is about what you get with a conventional tungsten bulb. Bulbs in the 5600K range are actually closer to day light and bluer, but the blue disturbs the sleep cycle.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
See here:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28105889.cfm

I won't pollute this thread with info from that one, but I did some real-life research in different LED replacements in that thread.

EDIT: I did not mention in my comparison that I used "warm white" LEDs. The "bright white" is actually blue and dimmer than warm white. I put those in the closets.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
For my money, flat panels are the only way to go. Just pick how many diodes you want on the board. None of the ones that are shaped like various bulbs put out enough lumens, and they block their own fixture reflectors.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
At first I started with some ebay ones, which were more blue and didn't put off as much light as the old bulbs.

I ended up spending more and going with better made bulbs from m4products.com they often have 3 color choices and multiple bulb choices. We found the natural white a good choice for us, and we used the warm white for reading lamps.

For sure LED's are much cooler to the touch and save a lot of juice if you are looking to boondock much.
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I recently installed a bunch of these:
eBay LED Lamps

Thought they might be too harsh, but in fact they are just fine. And at $3 each, with free shipping, you could just get one or two and see if you like them.

I've been running LED for several years. Took them out of our old TT and moved them into our fiver when we upgraded. Needed more to complete all the fixtures. It's about the best thing you can do to your RV if you care about battery capacity.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the chinese LED replacements on Ebay. My first purchase was the bright blueish which ended up in the bathroom. I settled in on the soft white. Probley the best mod I ever made on my HTT
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
A good site is superbrightleds.com
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I change mine out and used the 5500K which is a whiter light and in the living space went with 30 led per blub and in the bedroom used 24 led
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
right, cool is blue, warm is not quite as blue. I am changing to LED bulbs a bit at a time, as some of them can be quite expensive. Keep an eye on the market, there are more and more LED products showing up, and the prices are coming down.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.