cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Less fuel stops

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
It has always been one of my pet peeves getting fuel in a crowded fuel station and nobody willing to give you an inch to get to the pump. Well today I think I might have solved that problem. I installed this 40 gallons RDS tank and now I have a range of about 900 miles on my rig. Now I will be able to get where I am going and fill the truck without the fiver attached. This is how the install went. I set the new tank inside the truck it fit perfectly. Drilled a couple of holes to hold it down. Before I locked it into place the cramped work began. I had to take the fill spout out and cut a section out so the new valve would fit in place. Then splice it all back together with hose clamps and hose extensions. Man talk about tight. It was like working in the bilges of my boat. With that done I needed to take the hose and drill a couple of holes in the truck bed one for the fuel line to attach to the new fill tube and one for the venting of the tank. This is where the holes were drilled and the tube that connects to the new tank. This shot shows the vent tube that travels down the back side of the fuel tank to the undercarriage of the truck And the fuel line going down to the fill spout

All in all a pretty fun project I will let you know how it all works in a couple of weeks. I am planning my first trip with the new set up just to see how it works. RDS seems to make a pretty darn good tank.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

36 REPLIES 36

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Think I saw that on 'Moonshiners' ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Correct. Diesel is OK.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
I think I read somewhere that a gravity drain is against DOT rules.
Yeah you got your laws mixed up. Your talking gas we are talking diesel.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I think I read somewhere that a gravity drain is against DOT rules.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I'm green with envy! My fuel stops dropped drastically going from a gasser with a 26 gallon tank to my diesel with 39 gallons, but this upgrade would be great.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

hawkman541
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 91 gallon RDS. It works great. Even switched it from one truck to the new to me truck. I like the new design for the filler cap. Mine is exposed, and I have to keep a locking cap on it. Good luck
2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my RDS since I got my new truck. It is a great upgrade!
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010