cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making a memory foam mattress

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
We have a hybrid trailer, and the mattresses in there leave a lot to be desired, not nearly as nice as the ones in our old PUP. My idea is to buy one piece of memory foam, and make a new mattress for one bunk end, and doubling up the stock mattresses on the other bed. So, I have no clue on what foam to choose. It goes by thickness, and weights,and I get lost.Basically, what Im asking, is a 4 inch thick one that's advertised as 5.5 firmness , is that soft, to hard, to thick, etc??? and what thickness/weight would you use? and, does the memory foam cut easily, as I will have to custom cut my sized pieces to make the mattress fold in half for storage in the bunk end when closed?
Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer, and tips on going about this task.
15 REPLIES 15

a6Flyer
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon sells an 8in Memory foam Queen (60x80) for $189 f/s
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4ON90/ref=ox_ya_os_product

It is encased in a zippered casing and a cheesecloth casing under that. It is easily cut to size with a cheap serrated 6in steak knife (best tool for cut)

Very comfortable replacement for******mattress in RV at only $189

sabinazeeb
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a medium density 4" foam slab from JC Penny's online, of all places, for about $50. We then added 2" of memory foam on top. Cheap, easy, and very comfortable. I've also noticed that K-Mart sells very inexpensive 6" foam mattresses of any size in a box. Should do you fine for 30 nights a year. One big advantage of an all-foam mattress is that when your sleep partner moves, your side stays stable, and you don't feel it.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer still has the cheap inner spring mattress it came with. I added an egg crate foam topper, then topped that with a wool/cotton pillow top cover. I think I like it better than my expensive bed at home.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have made a lot of memories on a foam mattress:}

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
luckyscroller788 wrote:
. I will also give that FOAM FACTORY place a call, I can read all those descriptions on the various foams until rigor mortis consumes me, and still not be sure whats my best choice! Thank you all again for your help so far.

That was precisely took me to a mattress shop in the first place, I can read "firm but supple" till the cows come home, but my right hand against a mattress tells me in seconds if I'm going to like it or not.

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Ive visited the sites a couple of you posted, and I really appreciate your help. And, I never even thought about going to a mattress factory store (got one about 20 minutes from home, to see how much they would charge to make one for me.I guess I thought a simple camper foam mattress would be more trouble than its worth to them, but I will look into it for sure. I will also give that FOAM FACTORY place a call, I can read all those descriptions on the various foams until rigor mortis consumes me, and still not be sure whats my best choice! Thank you all again for your help so far.

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
Davidlatham2012 wrote:
come out the pocket and buy a sleep number bed. best ever and adjustable on both sides, and has foam under outer material
Thanks for your input, even though it didn't address ANy of the questions I have. I have a sleep number bed at home, and love it, but for a hybrid bed mattress that gets 30 or so nights use a year, I don't feel a sleep number is a wise choice for me, but thanks for your concern.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to cut foam, if you wind up doing it that way, is to use an electric kitchen knife. You can cut through the foam without having to compress it which makes for a much cleaner and more accurate cut.

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
What we did with our old hybrid was to add a three inch memory foam on top of the trailer mattress. We slid the memory foam into a duvet cover and for travelling just loosely folded the covered foam into quarters and stored on the dinette.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
luckyscroller788 wrote:
We have a hybrid trailer, and the mattresses in there leave a lot to be desired, not nearly as nice as the ones in our old PUP. My idea is to buy one piece of memory foam, and make a new mattress for one bunk end, and doubling up the stock mattresses on the other bed. So, I have no clue on what foam to choose. It goes by thickness, and weights,and I get lost.Basically, what Im asking, is a 4 inch thick one that's advertised as 5.5 firmness , is that soft, to hard, to thick, etc??? and what thickness/weight would you use? and, does the memory foam cut easily, as I will have to custom cut my sized pieces to make the mattress fold in half for storage in the bunk end when closed?
Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer, and tips on going about this task.

Foam now days has gotten rather expensive to experiment with (IE randomly buy and cut up) with possible sketchy results (IE to hard, too soft).

Instead of attempting to make your own it would be better to simply order what you want to the size you need and the prices are not all that expensive.

We have done this for both our campers and even our sticks and bricks.

The best source we found is FOAM FACTORY.

They will cut and layer, glue the foam to your specs and you can also buy from them a cover for your new foam all for not much more than the cost of a good quality "spring" mattress.

The beauty of a foam mattress is they can make it for you then vacuum it into a package small enough to ship via UPS right to your doorstep.

Give them a call and they will discuss the differences of materials and how it will affect the firmness.

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
when we went from water bed to std. mattress in our s and b house we were sad. We then bought a bus to re-convert into our fulltime rig. the bus was a band bus had several bunks. we used the foam from the bunks and added a 2" memory foam topper and enjoyed it very much. in time the foams took a memory set and we bought a real one from a store. Then we moved it to that bus when the house sold and then to the next bus. very happy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a similar issue with a clipped corner mattress in our Class C.

I went to a local mattress shop that makes their own mattress's, they advised me on which foam was needed and made the unit up for what I thought was an amazingly low price. They told me that the coils and such is where the money is, an all foam mattress is fast and cheap to produce.

I don't think I could have bought the foam (at retail prices) for what the whole mattress cost me.

Super comfortable too BTW.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced all the foam and cushion fabric in my TT. I was lucky, in that my BIL is an upholsterer and we traded labor.
I investigated the memory foam and other options and decided to pass on the memory foam as I didn't want a heat problem (I like it cool when I sleep). I bought This 4" Medium Density foam in 72" X 24" blocks. The foam was cut with a foam saw but an electric carving knife works just as well. The cut pieces are joined with foam spray adhesive. The above supplier, Rochford Supply, also sells memory foam if you want that feature. It is cut and fastened exactly like the closed cell foam.

The upgraded foam and materials are like night and day. I also have a foam bed topper but we don't use it anymore, the closed cell is Goldilocks-"just right".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
This guide might answer some of your questions.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog