cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting an outdoor sensor

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
We have an indoor/outdoor thermometer mounted on the wall next to DW's chair. I place the outdoor sensor under the right slide on a ledge. Unfortunately, I have sometimes forgot to bring it in when breaking camp. 3 sensors later I figured I should permanently mount the outdoor sensor outdoors; but where and how? Should I place it in a plastic sandwich baggie and zip tie it to my bike rack? If you have an outdoor sensor, where and how did you mount it?
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo
24 REPLIES 24

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Stuck mine underneath next to the water pump. We took off mid Nov. and wanted to see the temp in what I considered the most vulnerable at the time. Keeps it pretty close to outside temp as it turns out so OK for me.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Propane tank where exhaust won't affect it, Lots of places as suggested above.
In Quartzsite, AZ I hung a non wireless out a door hanging near the ground and a Pack Rat chewed the bottom of and stole it.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

watt100
Explorer
Explorer
I do like filrupmark does and put mine on x-chock were I won't forget it!!
2016 Ram 3500 SRW
2016 Grand Design Reflection

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine stashed up under the top step in my Kwikee steps. I use step covers and that creates a hollow spot under each step and there is a gap between the two ends of the cover where the springs pull the cover tight. Protected from wind and rain and when the steps fold up for going down the road, the sensor is sandwiched between the two steps and the mounting plates on the frame keep road hazards (debris, turbulence, and driven road spray) from getting to it. The clip on the sensor holds it just fine and I've only had it vibrate off (Oklahoma highway worse than a washboard) and when the steps deployed, there it was, laying pretty as you please on the bottom step.

One added benefit in that location is that I get a pretty accurate temp reading while underway. Plenty of air circulation despite the aforementioned protection. You would think that with what I paid for this coach that it would tell me what the temp outside is, my toad and daily driver do, but, not this beast.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is an Accurite wireless. Inside display is mounted to the wall....outside sensor is mounted to a pole and it stays out in the sun....rain and snow. Mine has to be outside so the wind and humidity sensors work.
cpaulsen

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
On our motorhome, I placed the sensor just below the awning tube. Since we always used the awning, the sensor usually wasn't in full sun. On our current Bungalow, I put the sensor next to the soffit light on the south east corner of the TT. Since it is parked at a season site, I don't have to worry about the soffit not facing south.

Not sure why folks are wrapping outdoor sensors in plastic bags. I would think that would produce inaccurate readings.

-Michael

Sitting in the shade with almost all the air squeezed out isn't hardly going to matter. Maybe a degree or two difference as the outside temp rises and falls. But over all there will be no difference for long periods of time when the outside temps aren't changing at all. I don't think anyone can really tell the difference between a couple degrees.

Sitting in the sun with or without the air squeezed out would be like a putting it in a closed up car.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
westend wrote:
If it's an "outdoor sensor", why does it need to be protected at all?

Outdoor sensors doesn't necessarily mean totally water proof. I've thrown away 2 outdoor sensors used at home that wind blown rain had gotten under the battery cover. The batteries had rusted and corroded. Didn't know until the outside temperature wasn't displaying any more on the indoor receiver. The new one is hanging under the front porch now in the shade where wind blown rain can't get to it but air can still circulate around it for accurate measurement.

Permanently hanging under a trailer without bagging it is kinda like rain driven by severe tropical storm winds when driving in the rain. Weather proof / water resistant does not mean water proof under all conditions.
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about the effect of blowing rain on the sensor.
I have one of those cheap weather stations with a temp sensor and batteries inside. It is installed under a soffit on the garage. It hasn't failed from water, yet.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
If it's an "outdoor sensor", why does it need to be protected at all?

Outdoor sensors doesn't necessarily mean totally water proof. I've thrown away 2 outdoor sensors used at home that wind blown rain had gotten under the battery cover. The batteries had rusted and corroded. Didn't know until the outside temperature wasn't displaying any more on the indoor receiver. The new one is hanging under the front porch now in the shade where wind blown rain can't get to it but air can still circulate around it for accurate measurement.

Permanently hanging under a trailer without bagging it is kinda like rain driven by severe tropical storm winds when driving in the rain. Weather proof / water resistant does not mean water proof under all conditions.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I put ours in the wheel chocks . It stays out of the weather and I don't forget it !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is tie wrapped in with the propane tank.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is in a sandwich bag and ziptied to the propane line under the trailer. I don't know if the bag helps or not, but I can't see the harm in protecting the sensor from the fury that happens under there when underway.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Velcroed mine to the frame of the MH,
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
In the area that the steps fold up into, it makes for a shaded area, easy to get to. It is secured with zip ties.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On our motorhome, I placed the sensor just below the awning tube. Since we always used the awning, the sensor usually wasn't in full sun. On our current Bungalow, I put the sensor next to the soffit light on the south east corner of the TT. Since it is parked at a season site, I don't have to worry about the soffit not facing south.

Not sure why folks are wrapping outdoor sensors in plastic bags. I would think that would produce inaccurate readings.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)