cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My remodel

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first camper, bought last April and used the bejeesus out of it and love it. We are not new to camping by any means, did all tent camping up until now including 2 weeks out in Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons etc. Posting for others as inspiration for a complete remodel. Plans are to paint all cabinets and woodwork, new vinyl flooring, new carpet, new upholstery and adding a rotating TV wall like in the new campers. When looking for our camper we had a wish list: slide, bunk house, good foundation to start with and we must be able to pay cash. Even though there are 2 of us currently, we wanted a larger camper to hopefully someday have kids and grow into it. We settled on a 33' Fleetwood Mallard, sleeps 9 (ish, because of the small dinette and one smaller rear bunk). We have had as many as 6 in there comfortably for a couple weekends.

Living in S.E. Michigan doesn't allow you to work on it throughout the winter so we took advantage of one of the first nicer day of the year to pull it out of storage and strip the wall paper boarder and start taping off for paint.

The day we looked at it

Rustic reclaimed oak vinyl plank flooring

Sample of the new upholstery. Bottom is a "Greige" (grayish-beige)
top is the floral that has yellows, oranges, grays and white.

Looks cleaner without the boarder already!

Smaller rectangle is the TV size, Larger is the "frame" around the TV that will be trimmed out after the hole is put in the wall
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard
64 REPLIES 64

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Everything looks really nice... What paint did you use to do cabinets and other wood grain finishes. Did you do a light sanding on everything to scuff it up so paint will stick and not peel later?

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Are you using a rust remover first or painting with Rustoleum? Also, did you add some plates to the front of the frame for support for the LP tanks?

Back bumper looks great. I want that to move my batteries back there.

Just hitting with a wire wheel and painting with rustoleum . The tanks are the same setup from the factory, I did no changes there. I did however move the battery to behind the front cross member. Out of sight, out of mind for sticky fingers that may try to walk off with it. Currently, I carry the spare tire in the bed of my truck, I plan to make a tire carrier and put it between the frame rails under the camper near the front to help offset the weight of the box on the back.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
Looks fantastic! Nice work.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Nice progress and work
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Are you using a rust remover first or painting with Rustoleum? Also, did you add some plates to the front of the frame for support for the LP tanks?

Back bumper looks great. I want that to move my batteries back there.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

westend
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
Nice welds, looking good.

X2 Nice work!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Nice welds, looking good.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Made valances and curtains and now it looks much more finished off

I added a couple receivers on the back of my frame to put a storage box

I also started painting the frame, lots to go in this department

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
captainkirk1856 wrote:
I like the fabric choice, it looks great. I really love the TV box you made. How do the cords not get tangled up when you swivel it? Also, does it have a way to lock in so it doesn't move and bump the TV against the slide when traveling?

Thanks! Since it's only my wife and I we just be sure to turn it one way. If it's facing the living side, it rotates counter clockwise and clockwise if it's facing the bedroom side. I drilled a hole through the outer box and frame around the TV to drop a detent pin in it to stop from spinning while traveling. So far, no problems.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

captainkirk1856
Explorer
Explorer
I like the fabric choice, it looks great. I really love the TV box you made. How do the cords not get tangled up when you swivel it? Also, does it have a way to lock in so it doesn't move and bump the TV against the slide when traveling?

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
really looks great! Well done!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work!

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
It looks terrific. Great job making it your own.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great work! Although the overall style isn't exactly my first choice, the workmanship looks to be very good and the results are cohesive and attractive and functional. I hope you get lots of use and enjoyment out of your renovated trailer.