cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove/close Satellite mount

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old crank-up and turn dish, from DirecTV.
I no longer use it, and I suspect that it is the source of my leak inside.
Is there someone who may have tips on removing the dish, and closing up the mounting site?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
Just remove the old tv antenna and the radio antenna. Just pull the crappy things off (these we leaking like a sieve) make sure you clean the roof area really good with a roof cleaner, I was able to fit a pc of wood in the whole, and seal it up with a patch kit, but, you can use Eternabond tape, then seal around it with rv lap sealant.
So glad I removed unecessary items that could leak from my roof!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a rubber roof it's also very possible the leak is somewhere else and running under the rubber looking for an opening. I chased a leak like this and sealed it again and again until I lifted the rubber around the opening and sealed that. Water stopped dripping from that location and finally started dripping from the actual source which was the A/C unit.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect it is from Winegard and was used for Direct TV.
When mine was removed so a Winegard Traveler automatic dish could be installed it covered the holes in the roof but there were holes in the ceiling where the elevation display and cranking/turning mechanism was. I used some 3 or maybe 4 inch diameter round protectors used to protect a wall from a door knob.
The adhesive didn't hold well on the fuzzy ceiling so I used hot melt glue and that worked great. The protectors were unobtrusive and most people didn't even notice they were there.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it out/off and junk it. To cover the hole? Find a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum in sufficient size. Paint it white and using lots of Dicor glue it over the hole. No more leaking. At least from that spot.