cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing bathroom mirror from wall?

peteymella
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a bathroom renovation of our 07 Itasca Impulse. We would like to remove the mirror over the sink that appears to be glued onto the wall in someway. The frame around it was attached with brads and easily removed. Does anyone have experience with how to remove the mirror glass without ruining the wall behind it. My wife thinks WD40 sprayed behind the mirror will soften any adhesive holding it to the wall. Thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

Georgette_Hoski
Explorer
Explorer
Option 1:If it is okay to break the glass:

Attach suction cups and start pulling it away from the wall. Begin it with the end which is already loose. With the help of some cylindrical object, break the wall mounted mirror into 4 pieces.

Option 2: If you need the mirror safe:

This option will need some raw materials such as wooden shims, pry bar, tape, DAP lightweight spackling compound etc.

For the step by step process description check out: http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/bed-and-bath/remove-a-bathroom-mirror/project

peteymella
Explorer
Explorer
The mirror is off. It was secured to the wall with some double back tape & some kind of rock hard adhesive spread around. I was able to get if off with allot of heavy fishing line (that broke often). It took aver an hour getting through the adhesive. The wall behind it wasn't damaged by the fishing line, but the residual adhesive is impossible to get off. We're going to install a medicine chest there. Around the medicine chest in the areas with adhesive still showing, we're installing a new product that looks just like mosaic tiles but is actually peel and stick plastic. Anyone interested in looking into the tiles, http://www.thesmarttiles.com/

Thanks for the responses!!

gon2dadawgs
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Try using a piece of fishing line. Slide it behind the mirror from the top and pull it back and forth using it as a saw while also pulling it downward. You may be able to 'saw' through the mastic and remove the mirror.

You can also put tape corner to corner in an 'x' and gently break the mirror and remove the pieces...

(Good luck with it...but the second method is said to bring bad luck..:E)

Hey...I have done that! That fresh air in the Northwest is keeping clever alive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Michael
Home is where you unhitch

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Try using a piece of fishing line. Slide it behind the mirror from the top and pull it back and forth using it as a saw while also pulling it downward. You may be able to 'saw' through the mastic and remove the mirror.

You can also put tape corner to corner in an 'x' and gently break the mirror and remove the pieces...

(Good luck with it...but the second method is said to bring bad luck..:E)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I removed a mirror on mine and found it was held in place by about 6 pieces of double sided tape. Luckily the mirror came loose from the tape first and I was able to remove the tape and residue without any daqmage. I hope you are that lucky.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often if Mirror Mastic was used (and it probably was) the wall behind is getting damaged, put your energies into designing something in the new plan that will cover the spot with something new....