cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Repair - where to start?

basalt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - my neighbors just bought a new RV and are getting rid of their TT. It is a Skyline Corp Funtime. It needs some work, but looks like it has potential and they said they could give me a good neighbor discount ๐Ÿ™‚ We don't plan this to be a long term project, just to see if we'll use it enough to buy a newer one.

So my first and main concern is the roof. Luckily it looks like it is one piece aluminum. The roof is warped and moves a lot (see vid) and as you can see in the pics a lot of work to be done to seal around everything.

Could this be as simple as scrap off the old junk and reseal/monstaline or something? Inside looks good, but there is some discoloration in the roof in one place, but the roof looks straight inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WiloIw3T0

You can see a little discoloration at the top left of this image, but I'm not certain if it is from water or not:

Thanks for any advice!
21 REPLIES 21

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know....
If you already have an RV in good condition, it might be a piece of junk but if you don't have anything to camp in it may be a godsend.

The pictures depict a roof that has had about as poor a sealing job as you'll find. I had a similar roof, many layers of different caulks, roofing tar, and sealing paints. I removed all the stuff either mechanically with heat gun and scraper, mechanized wire brush and, finally, chemicals and solvents to remove any trace. I then sealed everything with Eternabond tape and applied an elastomeric roof paint. I have had no further problems with the roof leaking.

I'm guessing a couple of weekends for cleaning and sealing it all back up. Solvents and Eternabond will cost around $100. Tires-they are leased, you need to put new ones on every few years.

Newly painted and sealed roof:
Before--

During--

After--
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RV daytrader wrote:
I agree with above posters...I would not take it for free!

Sorry but me too.
I bought something like that about 25 years ago. Paid for it two or three times in materials and eventually just took it to the dump.
Trust me, even if free it isn't worth it.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with above posters...I would not take it for free!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

I agree, this unit has had poor or no maintenance.
You need to check the tires, brakes, electrical, HVAC. And that's assuming there's no major water damage.

If you really want to try the repairs, Eternabond and Dicor Self Leveling Caulk are great for roof repairs.

If you decide to tackle the project, please keep us updated.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
You wrote: "they said they could give me a good neighbor discount. "

FREE would be too much money.
They should pay you to haul it away.
If you need a project, why not mow the lawn or plant a garden.

Seriously, the above advice you have gotten about "running" is good advice.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

basalt
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Run away, don't walk. That discoloration may be just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to water damage. You can have mold and dry rot all through out this rig. I don't even see a cover on the vent.

It is very obvious that this rig has not seen any preventive maintenance since day one. If it's only a couple hundred dollars, you can try to salvage it, but I sure wouldn't touch it.

Ya, the vent cover recently came off. They have ordered another. Was thinking of offering $500 but it also at least needs tires so sounds like that is too much. Also sounds like it probably isn't worth what the monstaliner would cost.

Was just hoping to get something cheap to see if we'll even use it or like a TT (we usually tent camp) before we drop $$$ on one.

It doesn't stink inside lol!

Thanks.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Run away, don't walk. That discoloration may be just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to water damage. You can have mold and dry rot all through out this rig. I don't even see a cover on the vent.

It is very obvious that this rig has not seen any preventive maintenance since day one. If it's only a couple hundred dollars, you can try to salvage it, but I sure wouldn't touch it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)