Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower Curtain

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-

I'm prepping my rig for full-timing and I read so much about condensation issues, especially after a shower. Everyone says "make sure you get a fabric shower curtain" but they don't specify what kind of fabric I should be going for. Do I want a something that absorbs the moisture like cotton? I'm afraid this will cause potential mold issues. What does everyone suggest?
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer
17 REPLIES 17

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
SoundGuy
More pics
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
[quote=SoundGuy
More pics

Very nice work on all the mods you have done. Been looking at a way to cover the generator in bad w...
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A fiberglass rod and two curtain rod holders will allow a user to form any shape of shower curtain "hold-back".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LibertyHaven wrote:
I have a pretty tiny shower/tub in my TT. It's like taking a shower in a phone booth.

Are there other products that people have successfully used to fit problem-shaped showers?

Without pics I'm not sure this will help your situation but it sure has with mine - installed a PVC "shaper" to keep the shower curtain away when showering so it doesn't stick.

More pics start here.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pretty tiny shower/tub in my TT. It's like taking a shower in a phone booth.

I was looking into the Extend A Shower product to get enough extra room to at least keep the curtain from sticking to me, but after looking at it, I don't believe it would fit my shower. I have a 3 1/4 wall shower, with the quarter-wall serving as the side support for the sink and medicine cabinet, and the curtain has to cover the quarter-wall as well as the opening.

If I could put an extra joint in the Extend A Shower in precisely the right spot it might serve, but I'm pretty sure I can't. (Tell me if I'm wrong.)

Are there other products that people have successfully used to fit problem-shaped showers?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Our old trailer had the shower curtain on the ceiling "track" with the little wheels and a cheap plastic curtain.

Probably the best mod I ever did on that trailer was taking the track down and installing the Extend A Shower rod which gives you more room and allows the use of regular curtain rings. Wife picked out a standard shower curtain from Bed Bath and Beyond; don't recall if she shortened it though. Worked great!

EXTEND A SHOWER ROD
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! I think I'm going to go with a polyester shower curtain for now only because I really do like the options they have for different prints and colors. Depending on how long it holds up before I have to replace it or how often I find myself washing it, I may spring for that Stoette Nautilus shower door. I'm very intrigued.
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
..The other type is the "cloth" material type curtains. They are indeed made of fabric, but are treated with a water resistant treatment that prevents water from penetrating. They usually cost a bit more, can still be found in most places, and come in all kinds of colors and designs......

X2
Yup No need to make them they sell them at all the stores.

I had a favorite one in my sticks and bricks and I took it with me for my first MH. Now it's hanging in my Florida winter home! :B

No mold and in my case they last a very long time and no they don't mold! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
How about getting rid of the shower curtain all together and installing one of THESE a lot of newer high end RVs have them.

X2
I don't understand replacing shower doors with a curtain, unless the shower is small and you are big.

We have a nice three sided glass enclosed shower, if you want to cut down on condensation, get a better bathroom vent fan, either Vortex or Fantastic and run it the entire time you are showering and drying.
In addition get covers for the roof vents and leave them cracked all the time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
The idea is to get something that won't absorb a lot of moisture and will dry out fast.

This type of shower curtain is often sold as a liner but is fine to use alone. They can be washed with some bleach and look good as new, and last for a long time. I wash mine (at home) about every 3 weeks.

Microfiber Shower Curtain Liner

Of course they do get wet and have to dry off. To that end, you need to run the bathroom vent fan for a good amount of time after showering. I also keep a dedicated towel for wiping down the shower walls and floor, wring it out in the sink, and then hang it outside to dry. That removes a good bit of moisture from the RV.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I understand how a shower curtain will have any effect on condensation.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our triple glass sliding door with a curtain and liner. The liner is a heavy duty curtain liner for about $8 at Walmart. We use the same liner in our S&B. We've been using it for years in the camper without issue. We live in the camper 4 - 5 months out of the year during the summer, which translates to lots of showers. Unless it is really hot out, we usually leave the bathroom vent open with the vent fan running all the time to help dry out the bathroom.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
There are many designs for shower curtains, but there are basically two types. One is the plastic type that costs about $1.95 from Dollar General, and you can find them anywhere. The other type is the "cloth" material type curtains. They are indeed made of fabric, but are treated with a water resistant treatment that prevents water from penetrating. They usually cost a bit more, can still be found in most places, and come in all kinds of colors and designs.

As with any shower curtain, either one will hold water drops until the water drips down (cloth or plastic). There is always a residue of water left until it evaporates. That evaporated water is now in the air, and yes, it will settle somewhere else eventually, sometimes as rain, sometimes as dew, or in your camper as condensation.

But, with either style of curtain, if you are using your camper in a normal fashion, there is almost always an influx of fresh air and an out-flux of (stale) air. If you are using your camper in a normal fashion, in the Summer, roof vents open, doors open and close, windows open and close, fans blowing, appliances running, the water evaporates from the curtain, just like in a house and has no or very little effect.

Yes, you do need to wipe up any excess water, dry the shower / bathtub, or use a squeegie on the walls to help get rid of as much water as possible. But with just a bare minimal attention, you'll never have mold or black spots.

If using the camper completely closed up for a long time, then yes, moisture gets trapped without any kind of ventelation, and yes, mold growth has a potential be more prominent. But even in the winter, with moderate care and attention, wiping up spills, water spots, wiping down the shower/tub helps go a long way keeping "black" off the walls and around the molding.

Use any kind of curtain you want. You can always take them and shake them outside, toss them in the laundry to help keep them clean. And the nice thing about the cheap-o plastic ones? They don't cost much, they never last long anyway (yes, they all do begin to look nasty after a year or so, even in your house), so the el-cheap-o plastic $1.99 curtains are easy to just swap out any time.

My previous 2 campers had nothing but plastic shower curtain, and we never had a mold or "black" problem. But we did change shower curtains every spring (and the old ones became paint, stain, and varnish drip cloths in my wood working shop.