cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stoves & Ovens

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that most of the TT's we're looking at - in our price and weight range - only offer a 2-burner cooktop rather than the 3-burner range or oven. I'm guessing this is more of a cost consideration than weight, but in many of the smaller TT's an oven is not even an option.

So my first question is... Is is possible to change out the cooktop at a later time? Whatever we end up buying will likely be new so not planning to make any changes while it's under warranty but just wondering if it's possible.

Another thought... Is is possible to swap out the microwave for a convection or microwave/convection combo? I have no idea how a convection oven works so not sure if it'd require special wiring and or venting?

What are your thoughts on this?
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP
41 REPLIES 41

2littletime
Explorer
Explorer
If looking at an oven, check the 21.5 height. The standard 16" is a bit small.

PUCcampin WOW can I come for breakfast? please,please
2013 Fun Finder 214 WSD
2007 Chevy 1500 TV
2005 Chevy Tahoe TV
Equalizer 1,000 lb.
Prodigy 2

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy these threads, it shows how different people are in their preferances, and that there is no right or wrong way to do it.

OP yes, you could have the cooktop changes out as long as there is enough space below and on the sides, and if you love everything else about the rv it would be worth doing.

I love having the convienence of the stove/oven, sink, fridge, cupboards all in one place rain or shine. I cook for our family of 5, (and have cooked for as many as 9), with the kids having some differing preferances, so our 3 burner plus oven gets a workout every trip. Plus, I pride myself on completing all parts of the meal at the same time. Everything is hot when it is served.

Typical breakfast - seasoned pan fried potatoes, which have to be started first and take the longest. Next is a full pound of bacon on the broiler pan with the oven set to broil. Bacon is SOOO GOOOOD cooked this way! Pancakes for the kids, veggie omlets for us. Yep, that is 3 burners and the oven going at the same time! Or a typical dinner. Steaks in the broiler for us, pot for mashed potatoes, pot for steamed veggies, and a pot for mac and cheese for the kids. Yep, oven and 3 burners!

I would not be satisfied with fewer burners or just a cooktop. And since we drycamp a fair amount, a convection / micro would not be usefull.

Good luck!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like that cooktop upgrade too. Looks like a quality must-have item and would give more space for pots. What brand is it? The standard Suburban stove seems rather basic and minimalist. DW would kill me, but when I run out of mods to do, I can see doing this.

We have an oven, have never used it, likely never will, and it's so tiny. I can see reclaiming the space for storage. We don't use the cooktop much and use the BBQ whenever we can, but when it's cold and wet outside, you can't do without the cooktop.

If there is such a thing that will fit, I'd also like to install a better range hood.

Tom_M wrote:
I needed to fill in the gap in the front of the counter when I removed the old cook-top so I built a shallow drawer. Since I wouldn't be able to get a perfect match with the existing woodwork, I went with a contrasting scheme. The handle is teak and the drawer front is dark stained oak.

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I am going the opposite route. Taking out the stove and putting in a cookbook only with shelving where the oven was. I have a convection microwave that bakes perfectly or I bake on the gass grill.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

TexasH
Explorer
Explorer
We have a three burner stove with a full oven, plus a Sharp Microwave Convection Oven and use all of them pretty regularly. My DW likes the oven for baking cakes and such, and the convection for baking meals. The microwave is for quick heat ups, and the stove top for regular cooking. We do cook (and eat:B) a lot when we travel.

The microwave/convection oven can be installed in a cabinet, but you need to order a built-in installation kit (for Sharp ovens, call 1-800-BE SHARP). The kit provides air ducting to vent the heat from the convection oven to the front out of the cabinet.
2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That's too nice, Tom! Good job!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
galtgirl wrote:
Tom M....LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your range top conversion. This is exactly what I want my hubby to do in ours. Did you build new drawer fronts or order from the factory?
We have a 10 year old 5er that has dark walnut cabinets so I imagine matching the wood will be a problem. Our oven doesn't work and I'd much rather have a high end cook top and storage space where the oven is now.
I needed to fill in the gap in the front of the counter when I removed the old cook-top so I built a shallow drawer. Since I wouldn't be able to get a perfect match with the existing woodwork, I went with a contrasting scheme. The handle is teak and the drawer front is dark stained oak.
Here's a couple more photos:

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
beachcomber_1 wrote:
Other than having to kneel down to light we use our oven all the time. We do not burn everthing we putt in, use a pizza stone to stabilize heat. Works great.

Hi All.

Like beachcomber said, us a Pizza Stone or something similure. We also drop the Temp some and do use an "Oven Thermotor" also, and wqe don't have hardly ever have any troubles at all.

But of coarse we have been doing this for over 46+ years now. Got the hang of it many many years ago. Its all childs play to us now.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill, plus two Very Happy "Yorkie KiDs" who love to travel as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

EAGLE_N5ST
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3 burner stove and I use all 3 often. I also have a microwave/convection oven and love it. When I need more cooking space I carry a toaster oven and a NuWave PIC. The PIC is a wonderful way to add an extra burner when needed and takes up little space. It works well for a larger pan and then you can use the stove for the smaller pans as you do have to be very mindful of the size pans you use on the stovetop. I know that this is something else to carry with you but it is an option that lets you cook inside or outside. You can also take along an electric skillet. Just options to think about. Most of the suggestions depend on your lifestyle and what you like to do.
JOY
DH Rick----aka "Admiral Eagle"
3 sons--2 dogs--Schnauzer Heidi---Chihuahua Paco
5 grandchildren 2 girls 3 boys
2006 HR Admiral SE HR# 103335
Nova Trailblazers #139--Holiday Hams #435
FMCA #393316
MAP REFLECTS ONLY CAMPED IN STATES

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
The only time I use all three of our burners is when I'm purging the air from the lines after it's been sitting a while.

X2

I have a 3 burner cooktop. I don't recall using more than 2 burners at the same time. I have a Sharp Carousel R-820BK microwave/convection oven. It works great. I love the fact that it has a 2nd heating element located beneath the turntable.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

true4uca
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely use our stove inside, no oven. We have a coleman & BabyQ outside. Have made banna bread & nuffins in the BabyQ. Just went to the thrift store & bought an old 6 muffin tin & a loaf pan. Didn't want to ruin my good ones.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I use all three of our burners is when I'm purging the air from the lines after it's been sitting a while.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Other than having to kneel down to light we use our oven all the time. We do not burn everthing we put in, use a pizza stone to stabilize heat. Works great.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
To add to my ongoing rant about TT stoves/ranges, really! The ovens don't have any easy way to light, they don't hold anything and burn most. And what's with that stupid "toast/broil" idea? How many people actually broil in their ovens? How bout dropping the burner to the bottom of the oven and hooking it up to the piezo system? I can't be the only one who finds this really annoying!