cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stronger rear end

hxcburrito
Explorer
Explorer
if i was to beef up my leafs (possibly 2500) and replace my shocks with towing shocks, will this increase the lbs i can tow?
2009 dodge trx4
2011 skyline nomad 268

Wife & 4 daughters

2005 dodge 1500 slt - 4.7l... gone and I'm glad
22 REPLIES 22

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get a truck that is rated to handle the load that you want to put on it. Go big or stay home.

We I camped in tents and tent trailer, a Ford Courier could handle the load. As we upgraded to 5th wheel trailers we had to upgrade truck. Duck tape, bailing wire and aftermarket want-to-be part are not going to cut it.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You can install overloads, etc, to correct "squat" somewhat, but you are still limited in what you can carry by the ratings on your rear axle and tires. You can do the same with air bags with the same limitations. In other words, you can't make a 1500 into a 2500 by bolting on some parts.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sometimes you've just got to let go of the music when the phonograph wears out ... time for a new truck!

:B

X2!

You can put as much lipstick on a "pig" as you want, but in reality it is what it is (a pig)..

There a lot of folks who subscribe to the idea that adding aftermarket parts gives them more capacity than what the manufacturer specd.. The problem is no matter how much YOU modify the suspension the only thing matters is what is on your vehicles data plate (and YOU can not "change" that).

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you've just got to let go of the music when the phonograph wears out ... time for a new truck!

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
On a 1500 no, the axle is already the limit.

On most 2500's it's not needed before you run out of tire capacity.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why no just buy a 3500? Usually much cheaper than trying to make one

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
hxcburrito wrote:
if i was to beef up my leafs (possibly 2500) and replace my shocks with towing shocks, will this increase the lbs i can tow?

No.
-- Chris Bryant

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your axle weight capacity is probably the critical factor. Upgrading the other items will not increase that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper