cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspension options/opinions / sizing issues

shenandoah75
Explorer
Explorer
I did the under slung conversion, ez-flex mods on my prior travel trailer and it went well. On my Jayco, it's not as easy...

I've got the D52 axles, 33" wheelbase, 29.5" spacing between the hangers (all match dexter specs in their literature). But the equalizer is of the tall variety (4" o/c vertical between the top mount and the bottom shackle slots, 6" wide between them). With EZ-flex, i'd loose ~1" of height. I don't have it - i only have 2" between tire and floor bottom @ load....

By my calcs, Equa-flex 4K would give up 1/2" width between the shackle points and nearly an inch vertically. Lippert support says i could go to the 8K unit and increase height slightly instead, but in both cases, if i draw this out, the shackle points are nearly an inch off diagonally at each shackle location. I suspect the spring pack won't have that much give to get them installed but maybe the shackles would allow for it? Can anyone comment on this?

I think both the MorRyde CRE/SRE are out as i don't have the clearance their qualifications note at all.

Axles are overslung. I feel increasing the height even the few inches after adjusting for the EZ-flex just doesn't seem like a good idea as it already rides high with 15" 225/70R15s, the tall I beam frame and the 2" square suspension tube welded under that.

Anyways, I write this feeling pretty much defeated, but willing to take any advise if i'm wrong on my beliefs the springs can't swing that much shift in shackle position or whatever...

-brad

p.s. This Link looked promising and seems to indicate equa flex would work. It doesn't state which model though, but i tend to like Lippert's response, use the 8K unit on the 5200 axles if it works
05' Suburban K2500 8.1L w/ 4.10s
2012 Jayco 32TSBH
6 REPLIES 6

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only thing left to do in the end is post a follow-up with pics.... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just a suggestion, since you will have the U-bolts out, it would be an opportune time to at least install the lower brackets for shock absorbers. Mor/Ryde and Mobile Outfitters (Lippert) have a complete kit or you can use Monroe shocks which is what we did. Monroe shocks are inexpensive but the upper and lower brackets are NLA. The Monroes come in different lengths so you can customize the installation easier. Upper brackets are easy to fabricate and the lowers are simply made by welding on the right type and length of tube to the ends of standard tie plates. I can post info. and pics of it when we're back home if you want.

Shocks are an excellent upgrade and I highly recommend them.

shenandoah75
Explorer
Explorer
no room to drill the hangers lower to gain the clearance. There's only one hole and it's center is located only about 3/4" from the bottom of the hanger. I could mount new ones / extend (would prefer the former) but that's beyond my capability as i have no welding / alignment ability so we'd be way beyond DIY / driveway at that point. The underslung seems the most reasonable despite my initial resistance.

I just looked at most of the 5th wheelers in this campground we're in (including both Montanas) have them in the underslung conversion and it doesn't look that bad.

What the heck - i just ordered the underslung and ez-flex kits ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Jayco 32TSBH

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I follow everything but can you drill new holes in the existing brackets to get all the geometry and height right? What about welding on extensions if necessary. I did a big change on our previous FW... heavier, longer and more arched springs and ezflex. I had to relocate the outer hangers to get the shackle angle right, which is important. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

shenandoah75
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for reply...

I have an equalizer that is 4" high. Dexter has no direct EZ-flex "match" for this as detailed in this link.

I believe when all three vendors talk about clearance they are referring to "on the ground" and/or loaded (which is where i'm pulling the 2" measurement from).

I also got a second response from Trail-Air today. Hope they're ok with me reposting, cause i think others might find it useful:

"He must have the 4โ€ tall equalizer on it currently.
So using the large equaflex with 2.25โ€ hole center shackles, looks like that would move the shackles ยพโ€ closer to the frame. So no good he should have 3โ€ so heโ€™s 1โ€ low now then moving it up another ยฝโ€ isnโ€™t good. Youโ€™d have to cut hangers and weld in a spacer tube and new hangers and shoot for 3โ€ of clearance above the tire."

I honestly don't understand this... i drew this out on paper and it doesn't look to me like the "large" unit would drop it as the vertical height is great than mine (Pythagoras would put their height @ 4.45" vs my stock 4"). I guess the thinking is that even though the height is higher, so is the width, so the shackles would be positioned at a steeper angle for the spring eye holes to mate up...

I'm now thinking the ez-flez, the over-slung conversion and 1" drop in height (from ex-flex) may be worth it. The drop from the ez-flex should mostly negate the spring pack thickness. Meaning i'd be raising it only about the thickness of the axles + the new spring pad. e.g. ~3" Maybe i can live with that. The steps would be ok if not better. Right now the lowest step is only 3-4" off the ground. On our last campsite during this trip, site was really un-level and it was actually sitting on the ground.

thx again
-brad
2012 Jayco 32TSBH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why there'd be a problem but it's a bit hard to visualize what you're got exactly and what you are describing. The installed dimensions for the Dexter equalizers is basically the same as the ones that would be on your TT.

We recently installed the Dexter EZ-Flex equalizers and wet bolts and have the same axle spacing but have under-slung axles. There are two spring hanger heights, one is 6" from the center of the spring mounting hole to the underside of the frame and the other is 4". Yours is the 4" variety? I was not 100% certain that their equalizers would fit either, but the Dexter info. said it would so I went ahead and ordered them. Zero issues in the end.

Not sure how you are doing the calcs. Don't forget that measurements are a little different for the TT lifted off the ground and when it's sitting on the ground. The equalizers compress a little bringing the ends of the springs a little closer together (and centers of the holes in the equalizer).

I think it was JBarca on the forum that outlined what he did for his EZ-Flex install. I remember he mentioned having height issues as well and he welded or bolted on extensions to the bottom of the hangers. Can't recall just why he did this but I think he added shocks as well.

You *could* convert to over-slung axles but then your step(s) may be too far off the ground and you would either have to change the hitch shank position or even replace it. Some spring hangers have a 6" and 4" position mounting hole. If so, you could just relocate the spring positioning. But you could have just 4" ones.

Shock absorbers would reduce the vertical movement. Maybe adding another leaf spring would help too. We installed Monroe shocks this year and the improvement is HUGE. The rear end used to bob up and down wildly but now it's steady flat line. We don't have a tire clearance issue but I imagine the tires don't get anywhere near as close to the wheel well as before.

The Dexter equalizers are far superior to the Trail-air ones. Don't know anything about the Mor/Ryde one. The Dexter parts are well made and heavy duty.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Don't you hate it when you do a ton of research only to realize your SOL?
I did the same thing recently with regards to replacing my awning with a power unit. After hours of research I finally figured out it couldn't be done - or at least not done right.