cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton tow vehicle and 27HFS Hyper Lite

Powderhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious as to whether anyone is pulling this toy hauler with a 1/2 ton truck? I have a 2012 Ford F-150 Super Crew and am contemplating purchasing this trailer. I would be hauling a Harley Ultra Classic as well. Live in Oklahoma and will be going both east and west from here so will have varied elevations to deal with.
Thanks,
Powderhorn
13 REPLIES 13

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck doesn't have enough for your trailer. You need more tow vehicle than trailer always. You say you wont be anywhere near the gvwr of the trailer but things add up quick. If you can trade up to a 3/4 then I'd do it.
TV: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab HEMI
TT: 2006 KZ Jag 29JB

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your numbers are ok if they're accurate. You just need to see if the hitch weight is within the specs of your truck. To me this would be the big concern.

If you really like this trailer, see if you can hook it up to your truck. If the nose of the truck goes up too much then don't get it. If it's ok, see if you can take it for a test drive. The bottom line is that YOU have to feel safe with the setup.

Powderhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that have posted! The trailer has an unloaded weight of 5578 and GVWR of 8079. Truck is rated at 7500. I will only be camping at campgrounds with hookups, so water weight will not be an issue, nor will I need the added weight of a generator. I will be using an equalizer hitch and electric brakes and at most will only have about 1000 lbs of cargo. I will never pull to Colorado as I oppose their politics and drug policies as well as gun laws. For the dollar spent I think this will be a very good setup for the trailer, I can always trade up to a 3/4 ton if need be. Again, THANKS for the input. Powderhorn

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Yep theres a huge difference between pulling my 19 ft toy hauler with my 1/2 1500 Dodge Hemi 5.7 Gasser. Then towing with my buddies Dodge Ram 2500 heavy-duty 5.9-liter Cummins turbodiesel 3/4 ton.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Al_s_R_T
Explorer
Explorer
LOL !! You guys made my day....

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Al's R/T wrote:
old guy wrote:
can you tow it? yes, just not efficiently or safely.

I'm sorry but I do not understand statements like that; if a truck is rated for, like my 2011 Ram Longhorn with 5.7 hemi at 10,100 lbs and I pull my 2014 Coachmen toy hauler at 9000 lbs loaded, how can it be unsafe or even un-efficient ?

My Ram has 3.92 diff ratio, 395 hp/ 410lbs of torque with a 5 speed auto trans, for a combine weight of 15000 with trailer; my previous 1998 Coachmen 300qb motorhome, loaded at approx. 15000 lbs, with a 4 speed trans, 460 cu/in with less torque/hp, about the same tire diameter as the Ram, and about the same brake rotor size was safer according to you ?

Just came back from a 6k miles trip, from Montreal to Moab, Vegas, LA, San Fran and back; average for the trip: 10.1 mile/gallon at 57 mi/hr (with 3 days straight of 25 miles/hr headwind) ; same trip 2 years ago with the motorhome: 6.5 mi/gal same avg speed and I can tell you, crossing the Rockies from Denver both times, I much prefer the Ram/toy hauler combo, more powerfull but also safer as there was 8 wheels available to slow down instead of 4...
By the way, main reason for going under 60 mph was mainly to keep a safe margin for the trailer tires, rated at max 65 mph..

I agree bigger is better but necessary ? I am looking to trade the 2011 for another Longhorn, 2014 with the new 3.0 diesel, 8 speed trans and air suspension, I could spec a 2500 with a Cummins but that would cost me 6 grand more, for a couple of thousand pounds and payload I do not need plus the harsh ride the 47 weeks I'm not travelling ? No Thanks...
OP, you'll be fine...If your truck has a higher rating than the trailer gvwr of course...

Just my opinion based on facts and hands on experience....

You must remember. You will need a Kenworth to safely tow a lawnmower. Or at least that is the opinion of many on this forum

I've seen some pretty big lawnmowers along the highway!!!!! LOL
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Al's R/T wrote:
old guy wrote:

I'm sorry but I do not understand statements like that; if a truck is rated for, like my 2011 Ram Longhorn with 5.7 hemi at 10,100 lbs and I pull my 2014 Coachmen toy hauler at 9000 lbs loaded, how can it be unsafe or even un-efficient ?

My Ram has 3.92 diff ratio, 395 hp/ 410lbs of torque with a 5 speed auto trans, for a combine weight of 15000 with trailer; my previous 1998 Coachmen 300qb motorhome, loaded at approx. 15000 lbs, with a 4 speed trans, 460 cu/in with less torque/hp, about the same tire diameter as the Ram, and about the same brake rotor size was safer according to you ?

Just came back from a 6k miles trip, from Montreal to Moab, Vegas, LA, San Fran and back; average for the trip: 10.1 mile/gallon at 57 mi/hr (with 3 days straight of 25 miles/hr headwind) ; same trip 2 years ago with the motorhome: 6.5 mi/gal same avg speed and I can tell you, crossing the Rockies from Denver both times, I much prefer the Ram/toy hauler combo, more powerfull but also safer as there was 8 wheels available to slow down instead of 4...
By the way, main reason for going under 60 mph was mainly to keep a safe margin for the trailer tires, rated at max 65 mph..

I agree bigger is better but necessary ? I am looking to trade the 2011 for another Longhorn, 2014 with the new 3.0 diesel, 8 speed trans and air suspension, I could spec a 2500 with a Cummins but that would cost me 6 grand more, for a couple of thousand pounds and payload I do not need plus the harsh ride the 47 weeks I'm not travelling ? No Thanks...
OP, you'll be fine...If your truck has a higher rating than the trailer gvwr of course...

You must remember. You will need a Kenworth to safely tow a lawnmower. Or at least that is the opinion of many on this forum
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2013 XLR 27 hfs, purchased it in the fall of 13, drug it back and forth to Denver twice down I-25. Mine ways 6300lbs dry, which is the way I was towing it with my 11 ram 1500 4x4. We have a weight distribution/antisway hitch, trailer was very well behaved running 75mph, however going up a moderate grade my hemi struggled to keep us and 60 mph, it would do it, it just wasnt happy.
We have since switched to a 13 ram 2500 ctd, I am alot happier pulling with the diesel, I approximate our weight around 7500-8000lbs loaded, I think the 1500 would have struggled on mountain passes pulling that much weight.

Hope this helps.

Al_s_R_T
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I know more about the trailer than I do about the truck. The trailer has a GVWR of 8079 LBS. Now if we just knew what the tow capacity of the truck was.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
Ratings are there for a reason. Everything depends on your style of driving and setup. Are you gonna break any land speed records....probably not. Do your homework on hitches and double check everything with your weight ratings and find out if there is anyone pulling with your truck and how they like it. Check them out on a FORD Forum. Good luck in your search!
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck is rated to tow the GVWR of the toy hauler, and rated for the GCVWR of both truck and toy hauler, then she'll tow it. She may not like it if yer close on weights and winds are up, but she'll tow it. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER