cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 F350 Lariat with 7.3L Diesel

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
We have heard from our trusted mechanic that if you want the best diesel in a TV, go with the 7.3L in the F-350 from 1999-2003. We have found one in great shape, only 75K miles and sweet price. Our intel is that this thing is a towing beast and we cant go wrong with it.
Any thoughts on this TV from the forum would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
37 REPLIES 37

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
Transmissions were awful.

x2 Great engines though

Not totally true, I have towed heavy with my early 99, still have the stock tranny, but have had a 6.0 transmission cooler in there the entire time I started towing heavy fifth wheels, before that it was a light weight travel trailer. IMO towing heavy with the inadequate cooling they had is what killed the majority of the 4R100 transmissions. I have towed heavy the last eight years with a tuner, and the 6.0 transmission cooler . My transmission stays cool, and shifts as good as it did the day I bought it nearly 15 years ago.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
Bought ours used back in 2006 with 96k on it, It has 151k on it now, no issues at all. Added coolant filter (dieselsite) when I swapped to ELC, and added an external transmission filter (dieselsite) with a pump out port. Keeping the oil changed every 5k and transmission fluid is scheduled every 25k. It doesn't smoke and is not that loud. We keep it washed and waxed, love this truck!
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention ours has an exhaust brake, a hot chip and turbo.
An exhaust brake is a worthwhile addition. We can go down a 6% grade in second gear and hardly ever need to hit the brakes. The chip helps but costs in fuel; 8 mpg towing and only about fifteen bobtail.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
Transmissions were awful.

x2 Great engines though

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
suse1023 wrote:
i'm told that with some modifications my 2001 7.3 dually 4x4 crew can pull (or more importantly--STOP!!) upwards of it's rating--any one know which mods are going to achieve this?
i don't want to walk into a diesel performance shop and be completely ignorant!!

After all the mods you still are going to have a truck with the same GVWR.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Robert6401 wrote:
That's true, I probably should've had more tact. Sorry OP.
It's not like we all drive Buicks! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
That's true, I probably should've had more tact. Sorry OP.
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Robert6401 wrote:
When I want truck advice, I go to a truck forum:

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31

When I want RV advice, I come to an RV forum.

I'm not sayin........, I'm just sayin'.

Good advice to a point. There is a lot of knowledge on the truck forums how ever often those discussions are for those looking for more power and speed. Truck forums are not geared towards towing but more towards racing.
There is a lot of DIY info on those forums as well,nevertheless it does not hurt to discuss RV towing characteristics of a truck with those that tow RV's.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jmconneely
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 02 F350 DRW Thanksgiving of 2012. It was a company truck. Had 305,000 miles on it when I bought it and it went right thru inspection with a few minor repairs. I already have 9,000 miles of my own on it and only repairs were, an oil cooler and a front hub. Had a 5th wheel hitch installed when those repairs were made. Can't wait for our first trip.

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
When I want truck advice, I go to a truck forum:

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31

When I want RV advice, I come to an RV forum.

I'm not sayin........, I'm just sayin'.
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
suse1023 wrote:
i'm told that with some modifications my 2001 7.3 dually 4x4 crew can pull (or more importantly--STOP!!) upwards of it's rating--any one know which mods are going to achieve this?
i don't want to walk into a diesel performance shop and be completely ignorant!!

I feel your pain. I hate gear heads! Lol. I chipped mine ( some won't reccomend it) Airad intake and modifyed exhaust. Loads of power !
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

suse1023
Explorer
Explorer

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
I got 180k miles without any problems out of my 99 before I traded it in. Great tow vehicle for towing my 12k 5er.
HR

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A 7.3 PSD is a great truck. However as others have mentioned the transmissions are the weak link. The OEM 4 speed tranny does not compare to the modern 6 speed transmissions. The 7.3 also lacks an exhaust break which has become standard equipment on today's trucks.
The 7.3 is still a decent truck however simply due to age and a lack of modern basic features I would no longer consider it the best diesel going. The payload capacity of the 7.3 is also lacking vs. the newer trucks.
In the end the 7.3 is a legendary power plant that is still very capable, while it does not match up to the ability of the newer trucks it still shines in the bang for the buck category.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short! Got 17k for my 2003 with 175,000 miles last week. Great truck! No smoke and lots of modifications.
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box