cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Carbon 357 - 30 Night Report

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our Carbon 357 in the beginning of May and was able to spend our 30th night in it over the Labor Day weekend. Unit was ordered with the following options; 2nd 15K AC, 5.5K Onan genny, rear beds, rear door screen, rear patio w/ awning. Added myself; Goose Box 20k hitch, JT Strong Arms, AirMaxx vent covers, TireMinder TPMS, 32" LED TV in garage, 4" mattress topper in the master. Camper loaded (shipping sticker 12,780#'s) is probably around 14.5-15k#'s pulled with a 2006 F350 DRW....towed around 1000k miles so far. Here are my impressions from over the summer.

This is my first TH and by far the biggest camper that I have owned. Previous units were a 32' Sunnybrook FW (2000-2003) and a 35' Dutchmen TT (2003-2015). While the unit is large, (40' long and 13' 2" high) where I have camped so far has not been a problem, you just have to plan accordingly to make sure the size of the site will work for you. With power everything (landing gear front and rear, awning and built in LED lights) set up time is about half of what it was with my old TT. No more hand cranking jacks or hanging lights from the awning. Add to the fact that I no longer have to load/unload the golf cart (which we take both to the lake and the beach) in the back of the truck...using the garage and the ramp door is a dream.

Overall quality: I am extremely pleased with the finish and fit of the camper and happy to report very little issues at all. The camper is comfy and well suited for our family of 4 plus a 70# black lab. We spent a week in Myrtle Beach and my parents stayed with us...so four adults and two kids and never felt cramped or stepping over each other. The bath and 1/2 in the garage is something that we thought we wanted and that has turned out to be a wise choice! Everything from fixtures, drawers, cabinets seem to be above quality from what I have had before...everything else does what it supposed to do. I guess my only complaint, but expected, is that the stereo system is total junk...it will be replaced over the winter.

Issues: As I said I have had very few issues but i have had some to deal with...the worst being some of my interior LED ceiling lights are burning out. Nothing major though, some of the issues will be (was) fixed by me and the others are going on a punch list for a trip back to a Keystone dealer. Issues that I have had:

Reversed Tank Labels - Fixed by me
2nd Black Tank Valve needs to be adjusted (leaks a little) - Punch List
One of the hangers for the genny exhaust pipe broken - Punch List
Both Vacuum Breakers in the black tank clean out systems were bad - Fixed by me (deleted)
Shower door not sealed - Fixed by me
Interior LED's first dimming then not working. (2 in bedroom, 1 in hallway, 2 in main room) - Punch List

Of the add-on's that I have put on the camper I am not sure which more to recommend. The Goose Box is an awesome hitch. I know that there is an anti-goose neck crowd out there, but this setup is wonderful. Nothing in the bed plus a dampening system on the hitch, it is soooooo smooth going down the road. I little bit of a pain to line up, but well worth the trade off in comfort and function. The JT Strong Arms should come standard on 5ers...even at 40' the unit is rock solid while we camp. My last TT the camper would jiggle every time some one rolled over in the middle of the night....not now!

We decided four years ago right about this time to upgrade and get a large toy hauler...it took us this long to do it. After researching I first decided that I needed a bigger truck (had a 99 F250) so that put us back a little. We literally shopped that entire time by either online, shows or going to different dealers. We changed our mind so many times on the unit that we wanted (Raptors, Road Warriors, Torques, XLR's, Wolf Packs) and we are so pleased that we ended up with this camper, it is perfect for us!! The right price point with all of the features that we wanted. We have had so many compliments on it this summer...we love it!!

Mod Edit: Please set photos to post no wider then 800x
2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball
13 REPLIES 13

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
I love hearing stories like these. I'm one of those who had a nightmare with his former Cyclone toy hauler but from what I have heard, the guy I sold it to already sold it to a guy in NY. So its long gone. Success stories are what need more and more to hear from.

Camper looks awesome. You and I are neighbors (Garner). Just curious. Where'd you get it? Danville? Locally?

There's the definite down side to purchasing a used RV...buying an RV that started out as junk and continues to be junk with the new buyer being unaware. Not saying sellers fault NC, just saying that any used RV can still be a lemon.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
Great post. We're looking at TH as well and this is useful information!
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my carbon at my local camping world dealer which was a selling part since they are only 20 minutes away.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
I would think they still get paid by Keystone

Yes they would. If you go to Keystone's website there is a link for Authorized Service Centers. I just went and checked and another dealer just as close (Camp Town) is now listed but they do not even carry Keystone's to my knowledge nor does their website indicate so. I bought my first camper from them in 2000 so I actually am going to call them this week to see for sure. I would rather take in to them over CW. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016 Keystone Carbon 357

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think they still get paid by Keystone

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
face_down wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
I love hearing stories like these. I'm one of those who had a nightmare with his former Cyclone toy hauler but from what I have heard, the guy I sold it to already sold it to a guy in NY. So its long gone. Success stories are what need more and more to hear from.

Camper looks awesome. You and I are neighbors (Garner). Just curious. Where'd you get it? Danville? Locally?

Thanks...and yes we are neighbors! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I dealt with both Bill Plemmons here in Raleigh and the guys in Danville, VA but ultimately ended up buying from RV Wholesalers in OH. It came down to cost...Plemmons was out of the ballpark and Danville was close...off by 3-4k. Warranty work I will be going to Camping World which is 5 miles from my house, I spoke to them about it before my purchase and they have no problem with that. They are a Keystone dealer, just not a Carbon dealer.

That is outstanding. My biggest drawback to RV Wholesalers is warranty work. Didn't know CW would do that.

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:

Thanks...and yes we are neighbors! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I dealt with both Bill Plemmons here in Raleigh and the guys in Danville, VA but ultimately ended up buying from RV Wholesalers in OH. It came down to cost...Plemmons was out of the ballpark and Danville was close...off by 3-4k. Warranty work I will be going to Camping World which is 5 miles from my house, I spoke to them about it before my purchase and they have no problem with that. They are a Keystone dealer, just not a Carbon dealer.
2016 Keystone Carbon 357

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
MartyMoose wrote:
Nice camper. Nice portable awning. What brand is it? Looks big and simple to put up.
Thanks

It is a Quest Sports Canopy...I picked it up at Dick's on clearance for 1/2 off as I think they were discontinuing them. They are very nice, shed water down the sides instead of all around the perimeter and have some nice pockets at all four corners. Made it a whole week at the beach without even a hint of blowing over or destroying itself. I guess they have stopped selling them as they are not an "EZ-Up" and take a few minutes to put up and take down.
2016 Keystone Carbon 357

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Nice camper. Nice portable awning. What brand is it? Looks big and simple to put up.
Thanks
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love our Carbon 327 also, we seem to have the same options, but one thing I would have liked is a second awning over the garage entrance door.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice rig. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice...enjoy it??
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife