cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Foot 30amp cords ?

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I park my 5er near my garage in a certain spot as its the only one that it fits in. I am going to have an electrician come and put a 30amp fuse in my panel and an outside box/plug in the corner of the garage closest to the trailer. Im not quite sure if a 50ft ext will make it so I was wondering if any members have every chained 2 50 ft extensions together and did it work ?

I know the general rule of thumb is the longer the cord power lost I just want to make sure the AC will still run with a cord that long.

Thanks
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
12 REPLIES 12

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. I cant bury a permanent wire as this is at the cottage and RV's are only allowed for short periods so all has t be mobile according to the bylaw. I think you are right though I will put a 50amp box at the wall and have the electrician make me a proper gauge cable to go that distance and just use my 30/50amp adapter when I plug in
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin

patnchris
Explorer
Explorer
It's not so much the wire that causes the issues. It's the plugs. I have, on occasion had to run an extension off my 40 foot shore cord. Running the a/c plus the convertor and the fridge cause the plug to get a lot warmer than I thought was safe. I didn't have a volt meter handy, but my bet is that there was a substantial voltage drop.
Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW There are to many posts of electricians and wantabe electricians wiring a 30A RV plug with 240V. The 30A RV plug is NOT a standard household plug and is very similar to the 240V 3 wire standard household dryer plug. Miswire the plug and it will let the smoke out of your RV.

The 4 wire 50A RV plug is a standard household plug. It is 240/120V and works well with a 50/30 RV adapter for your 120V RV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The voltage may be OK with one AC but none of us can say for sure. It depends upon the AC size plus other loads, the AC voltage at the plug under load and the quality of your extensions and especially the plugs.

The safe sure route is to have the electrician install adequate sized wiring for a plug within reach of the single RV plug. And at that point you should consider installing a 50A circuit which will handle all of your current and future needs.

Yes I know it will cost a lot more but then you've covered all bases.

Bob

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The reality is PER CODE you can go 100' with 10 awg wire and not have serious voltage drop on a 30 amp circuit. And thats exactly what we did at our house.
After going through 100' of 10awg and then 25' of power cord I loose about 3~4 volts for a balance of 114~118V at the AC while it's running.
I would recommend you simply make your own ext cord out of 10 awg exterior rate Romex so you have fewer connections.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Two cords plus the 25 in the rig will have excess voltage drop if you do anything other then run the converter.
That distance you should use a #8 or better #6 wire. You could lay 6/2 with ground UF cable on the ground. You could use heavy duty SO or SJO cord on the ground. Of course you can't drve on it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At my sons house I use the 30' 50A cord and a 25' 50A extension and 2 25' 30A extensions. No problem with voltage.

Bob

NORM_WADDELL
Explorer
Explorer
To explain a little....

"Power" is not lost.....VOLTAGE is lost.
The loss is the current in Amperes times the resistance
of the wire........longer wire = more resistance.

Lower voltage will make lights dimmer, make electric
cooking slower..........probably not noticeably.
But, lower voltage INCREASES the current drawn by
motor loads.....your air conditioner !

Get a voltmeter........a cheap one which plugs into
a receptacle IN the R V will do it.....as long as the
voltage remains above about 108 volts, all is OK
If the voltage falls below that, turn off some loads
until it increases.....if you cannot increase it,
turn off the air conditioner.

And,placing the receptacle closer to the R V might not
make any difference.........there are wires which lead TO
the receptacle, and they cause voltage drop (loss) too.
They could be SMALLER than the portable cord, causing MORE loss.
L NORMAN WADDELL
30 FOOT ALLEGRO
SATURN TOAD
WIFE AND 2 DOGS SUGAR BEAR & COCO BEAR

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason the electrician you are hiring cannot place the outlet closer to where you park the RV ? The best solution is always to use the shortest extension cord you can.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just use one cord. Custom make the length if needed.
Better to run a trench and outlet near the RV.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my mh plugged into an outside receptacle using the standard cord plus two 25' extensions. Works fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I've done it before and was still able to run my AC with no apparent current issues. Would it be better to run an underground feed with a riser and box near the RV so you don't have to use extension cords?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)