cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50" side by side (ROV) width regulation

Bakersfield
Explorer
Explorer
Question: DW wants to sell her ATV and purchase a SxS. I am told the larger SxS 60" width are not permitted on ATV trails. What is your experience?
27 REPLIES 27

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Bako, be real cautious on the 50" thinking,as some forests do not recognize the RZR as an ATV, due to the description being more than just width. There is also a requirement to sit straddle, have handle bars, and not be over a certain weight. I know MT doesn't allow them on 50" trails, UT is okay in certain forests, CO didn't allow them, and ID is iffy. I don't think there are any 50" trail restrictions on the Sequoia in the area you mentioned. Just sayin'.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
In our neck of the woods, the rebate usually goes UP after the first month of the new model. Have seen $1000 discount on last years Rzr, six weeks into the new model year.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Bakersfield
Explorer
Explorer
Hockeytchr wrote:
The 2014 570 LE will be a different color it will be Blue Fire......

Other then color change, anything else improved? They are offering a $300 rebate on the 2013, and perhaps that is the way go?.

Hockeytchr
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014 570 LE will be a different color it will be Blue Fire......
2015 Keystone Hideout 38fqds
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercrew
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercab
2005 Club Car
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
1995 17' Gilgetter Pontoon

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bakersfield wrote:
Thanks for the great replies and insight. We like to ride in the Sequoia National Forest, Kern River Ranger District. We has decided on the Polaris RZRยฎ 570 EPS Trail LE and mainly chose it for the Electronic Power Steering, Engine Braking System, 50โ€ width, and it will fit on a pick up bed.

Another question: The 2014 RZRยฎ 570 EPS Trail LE is coming out in couple of months. Has anyone heard rumors of any changes from the 2013 model?

I don't think it's a couple of months but just over a week. July 29. Might wait and see plus Polaris usually offers some kind of rebate; however, if there is a specific color you want w/the EPS get it now because they change color schemes quickly & it's rate for them to bring it back

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Bakersfield
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great replies and insight. We like to ride in the Sequoia National Forest, Kern River Ranger District. We has decided on the Polaris RZRยฎ 570 EPS Trail LE and mainly chose it for the Electronic Power Steering, Engine Braking System, 50โ€ width, and it will fit on a pick up bed.

Another question: The 2014 RZRยฎ 570 EPS Trail LE is coming out in couple of months. Has anyone heard rumors of any changes from the 2013 model?

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to go bigger that 50" the Arctic Cat would get a very good glance...that thing is BAD.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
If you run the SOCAL desert you will be miserable with a 50" less utv- unless you are just crawling along.

If I was out of Bakersfield I would buy the biggest baddest and widest RZR I could find and be done with it. For those few times when you need a 50" or less UTV- rent it.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
basically, the 50" ? is a mess and you'll need to look at your area in detail
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
mapguy wrote:
On Uncle Sam's domain there are three trail class for motorized. The MVUM -if adopted, dictates what is open to each category -including roads. Road usage is another full can-o-worms that can not be addressed in an easy post as state regulations and statues dictate how roads can be used for the most part....

1. Motorcycle -two wheels in a line
2. 50" and under
3. over 50"

Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

Link http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8z...

Link goes to the Panhandle National Forest in Northern Idaho...

A better starting point is this National Forest Locator Map
http://www.fs.fed.us/locatormap/

Then you have to drill down and find the MVUM as each Forest & Grassland puts them in a different place. Also, the MVUM is free for the asking at any Ranger District office -the full color topo map is not free. You really need both the Forest topo and the MVUM to ensure you are on a legal trail.

IMO the MVUM is very difficult for the average person, but it is the way it is.

MVUM page for the LOS PADRES NF as an example:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/lpnf/maps-pubs/?cid=FSM9_034094&width=full

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:
Had a friend on his new XP get a $250 ticket this weekend for being on a 50" trail in the Bighorn Mountains, WY. It was good for all day, so if your gonna get caught, you want to get caught early.

Thats an expensive trail ride. We are debating buying a 50" vs wider at the moment also.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
mapguy wrote:
On Uncle Sam's domain there are three trail class for motorized. The MVUM -if adopted, dictates what is open to each category -including roads. Road usage is another full can-o-worms that can not be addressed in an easy post as state regulations and statues dictate how roads can be used for the most part....

2. 50" and under
3. over 50"

Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

Link http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8z...
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a friend on his new XP get a $250 ticket this weekend for being on a 50" trail in the Bighorn Mountains, WY. It was good for all day, so if your gonna get caught, you want to get caught early.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer

2. 50" and under
3. over 50"