cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Storage

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stuck Storing my 5th Wheel out doors this winter and the forseable winters. It will be parked in a farmers yard but pretty exposed to wind. I live in south central MN so the winters here can be pretty harsh. I know it is not the ideal storage situation but it is what I have available. Looking for advise on covering or not to cover, covering wheels (aluminum wheels on 5th wheel). I would like advice from those that have experience in northern climates like we have here. It seems that I always get opinions from members that have no experience with the situation I am referring to. So if you don't have experience storing a 5th wheel outside in a northern climate please keep your opinions to yourself.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.
20 REPLIES 20

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Ontario had lake affect winds and snow every year. Just cover wheels let it be. I had a cover once and it rubbed the paint of the corner never again. I can at least plug it in every once and awhile to charge the batteries

Cnaperville
Explorer
Explorer
We live near Denver Colorado and we use ***Link Removed***STOW IT for our storage.

They are like airbnb for storage but specialize in vehicles. We rent a barn about 20 miles from out house and close to the interstate. I think they are only in a few cities or only in Denver area right now but it may be worth looking into.

If you have the extra space, you can also make money for storing others RVs or cars.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Me Again wrote:
skidooman93 wrote:
There are places that have room to store it but the 14' high door needed for it is the trouble. I haven't found place with a 14' high door that is a reasonable price. I refuse to pay $100/mo

I would pay the 6 or 7 hundred for indoor winter storage in a heat beat. The winter wear and tare while be more than that out doors.

Chris

X2. In fact we pay $200 per month but it's money well spent given the investment we have made in the RV. It's a very nice feeling knowing it's clean and dry inside the barn when it's really ugly, wet, cold, and snowy outside. We normally get a ton of rain here but we had an awful winter last year with a lot of snow and forecasts are now saying we have another one coming. :M

If a leak develops the cost of indoor storage will seem cheap in comparison to the cost of repairs. JMHO.

Is that for heated or cold? I can get clean cold storage that will fit my fifth wheel for $10 per ft. and with concrete floor for the winter (Oct - April) I seen advertised heated storage for $7 per ft per month. Not to hijack but was curious what others were paying.

Dan

It is unheated but it is a former chicken barn so it has tons of ventilation which keeps everything nice and dry. We don't get very cold here so I'm not concerned about it but I do winterize the plumbing. It is advertised as $6/ft per month and he rounds it off to $200 even.

One thing to be concerned about with storing outside is the numerous freeze/thaw cycles that occur. Warm sun during the day causes melt and that water can find little nooks and crannies to flow into just in time to freeze again. It doesn't take much of a breach of sealant somewhere to have water get in.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a park trailer that sat on the same site outside in central MN for 10 years. Once the roof gets a layer of snow on it there is no more UV rays hitting the rubber. Never covered anything. Had no problems at all. It was still in good shape when I sold it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Me Again wrote:
skidooman93 wrote:
There are places that have room to store it but the 14' high door needed for it is the trouble. I haven't found place with a 14' high door that is a reasonable price. I refuse to pay $100/mo

I would pay the 6 or 7 hundred for indoor winter storage in a heat beat. The winter wear and tare while be more than that out doors.

Chris

X2. In fact we pay $200 per month but it's money well spent given the investment we have made in the RV. It's a very nice feeling knowing it's clean and dry inside the barn when it's really ugly, wet, cold, and snowy outside. We normally get a ton of rain here but we had an awful winter last year with a lot of snow and forecasts are now saying we have another one coming. :M

If a leak develops the cost of indoor storage will seem cheap in comparison to the cost of repairs. JMHO.

Is that for heated or cold? I can get clean cold storage that will fit my fifth wheel for $10 per ft. and with concrete floor for the winter (Oct - April) I seen advertised heated storage for $7 per ft per month. Not to hijack but was curious what others were paying.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the trailer has no leaks where water can enter I would leave it un-covered for the winter. Summer sun does far more damage than winter elements. Also wouldnt recommend parking directly on dirt. Get it on a concrete pad or at least some blocks if you can.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

jay5er
Explorer
Explorer
HAD OUR FIRST FIVER FOR 5 YEARS COVERED IT EVERY YEAR, BLEW OUT THE WATER SYSTEM VERY YEAR. ADDED ANTI FREEZE TO THE WATER SYSTEM EVERY YEAAR. Literally after 5 years my unit looked like new when it was traded in for our second fiver. That unit could not be covered due to the unremovable gutter drain extensions. Did everything else the same. Sold that unit this spring, mechanically it was like new BUT after not being covered for 5 winters the exterior looked drab. If you can COVER YOUR TRAILER.......

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
100-200/month is pretty average. I will be close tp 700 for 6 months (Nov-Apr). Cheap insurnace. No wind, cover or snow. OP, does the farmer have a barn w/ a 14' door he uses to store equipment in? Worth a shot to ask.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
skidooman93 wrote:

Chris

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Does your county fairgrounds offer indoor storage? Ours here in Wisconsin do to generate income over the winter. That's where I store ours.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has always spent winters uncovered in a grass field storage lot. It's in a row of other RVs so the sides are protected a bit from the elements. I place the wheels on 2x8 boards and cover them with tarps. I leave it tongue low with all batteries and propane tanks removed and the roof vents (with vent covers)slightly open for ventilation. Never had a problem.

I have seen problems with covered RVs. First, the covers don't last more than a couple of years. They flap in the wind and rub against the RV leaving marks and a dull looking finish. I have also seen mold and mildew from covers that don't vent properly.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
skidooman93 wrote:

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Place boards under the tires as well (2x10x5' or 6') to get tires off the ground. Too bad you can't find an enclosed barn someplace.

I know plenty of people that keep their RVS outside during the winter and are fine if winterized and set up right without cover. I choose to store our new fifth Wheel in inside storage. For me its well worth the 650.00 bucks for the season here in upstate New York to keep it dry and out of the harsh winters. My last 2016 Travel trailer was inside for winter and we removed it in the spring clean, dry, and no mice.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We know what your talking about when it comes to the winter weather. We spent a winter in Wisconsin about 5 yrs. ago. We agree with others... Cover the A/C units and tires, and place boards underneath the tires, you should be ok. One other thing... Put a good coat of wax on the 5'er. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W