cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel to goose neck???

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just bought our first camper. 2002 R-Vision Trail Lite model 5281-S. We will be towing it with our dodge 1500... For now. I have been reading that converting from 5th to gooseneck will save some weight. More importantly I would rather not have to mess with the in and out of the hitch when i am using my truck for other things.

The 5th wheel has an aluminum frame. I have heard people who "think they have heard that you can not goose neck an aluminum framed camper?

What do you think?

Thanks, Mike
21 REPLIES 21

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Most certainly your camper is not aluminum 'framed' but aluminum superstructured. The frame is steel. Check it with a magnet.
Using a goose neck adaptor on a rig designed for 5th wheel adds a lot of leverage to the frame. The pin box attachment frame is not designed for that added stress. Warranty will be voided.
It is a PIA to have a 5er hitch in the bed of the truck, but I feel it is offset by the ease of hook up.

Good info.

Contact the trlr mfgr's Tech Line and ask - way better info than an internet forum..:S

BTW - how long does it take to remove/install your 5th wheel hitch?
(Mine takes all of 5-10 minutes to a "clean bed". No big deal)

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed it; does your truck already have an in bed ball for a goose or are you setting up the truck?
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ever seen the pin box structure and overhead frame on a 5vr.
Compare that wide spread, thin cross beamed structure to a goosneck trailer design.

YES some folks use a gooseneck adapter...and don't have any known damage.

Then some folks who have never used a gooseneck adapter have had a complete frame/pin box failure.

It's your trailer.......use what you want.
Personally I stick with a hitch design that the 5vr frame was designed for......and not add an additional stress.
Enough of that happening with the bouncing going on while traveling on the bad roads.

My sentiments exactly: It is YOUR trailer, do it YOUR way!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dbear
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Other than the shock reduction in the Goose Box, it is really no different that the G/N adapter as for additional stresses on the pinbox area of the trailer. manufacturers void the structural warranty if you use a G/N adapter for a reason. It is not good for the trailer frame.

K

The why has it been approved by Lippert for use on their frames?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
avantidave wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
see the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch if you want to limit the impact on the FW

x2

I have gone from traditional 5th wheel hitch to gooseneck adapter and now to Andersen Ultimate, which is for me the best yet.

Absolutely the best, IMHO, especially for a Half Ton, Payload conscious application.

Add some Fiver Rails and use the Anderson designed for Fiver rails. The hitch is in and out in about 2 min and only weighs like 40 lbs and can handle 4500 lb pin weight. No reaching into the bed to latch and unlatch the hitch. Wonderful set up IMHO.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Well....Your Camper is WAY off warenty, that way, when you do something the MFG did not intend...YOU pay for repairs...............everyone is happy..( Except maybe you when you did something not designed for it).

Your choice.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than the shock reduction in the Goose Box, it is really no different that the G/N adapter as for additional stresses on the pinbox area of the trailer. manufacturers void the structural warranty if you use a G/N adapter for a reason. It is not good for the trailer frame.

K
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a goose neck hitch you will be required to have safety chains, which means crawling into the bed under the 5th wheel overhang to hook them up and disconnect them. You also have to hump the trailer up and over the ball to attach or unattach it. Then there is the issue of needing a second person to spot for you to get aligned over the ball when hitching. Given that you do not have a goose neck ball or hitch now, do it right and get the 5th wheel hitch.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

avantidave
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
see the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch if you want to limit the impact on the FW

x2

I have gone from traditional 5th wheel hitch to gooseneck adapter and now to Andersen Ultimate, which is for me the best yet.
Dave

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used an adaptor and no permanent frame damage but the siding and paneling all broke loose from the flexing. No cheap or easy fix for the alum. siding with the crown staples snapped off. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MJO21 wrote:
Do you think the "ultra lite" would be safer. ( dry weight 5100lbs). Or be more dangerous because "ultra lite" is lighter therefore weaker?

There is nothing unsafe about the Trail-lite. It used vacuum laminated walls, roof and floor to minimize weight. Walls use minimal aluminum studs, only around the perimeter and door/window openings. But this is no different than advanced home construction like SIPs (structural insulated panels). Weight savings in the superstructure and interior furnishings means the frame and running gear can also be lighter.

My Trail-lite was solid. There have been other brands of lite units that were not as well built as the TL. I think you made a good choice. The completely smooth underbelly is also more aerodynamic than any other fiver. The only problem that some owners experienced was excessive floor flex, the floor is 3 inch rigid foam with 4x8 sheets of plywood glued on top, but glue failure at a joint allows separation of the plywood and foam (especially at high traffic areas).
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

dbear
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ever seen the pin box structure and overhead frame on a 5vr.
Compare that wide spread, thin cross beamed structure to a goosneck trailer design.

YES some folks use a gooseneck adapter...and don't have any known damage.

Then some folks who have never used a gooseneck adapter have had a complete frame/pin box failure.

It's your trailer.......use what you want.
Personally I stick with a hitch design that the 5vr frame was designed for......and not add an additional stress.
Enough of that happening with the bouncing going on while traveling on the bad roads.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Underbed mounts are available for both GN and fifth wheel hitches. Weight difference between the two choices is nil relative to the total truck/fiver weights. My fifth wheel hitch breaks down quickly and easily when I need to carry a big load or to move a GN trailer around. I prefer being able to see the hitch from the driver's seat, makes hookup an ez single person hookup w/o getting in and out of the cab multiple times. Aligning an out of sight ball to the trailer is not near as ez and safety chains are required. Finally, should the increased stress cause frame damage, repairs are very expensive, not worth the risk.

A good alternative is the Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch, which is really an elevated ball mount with a compact king pin to ball convertor. So this is a light weight ball hitch with the hitch point visible from the driver's seat and has minimal increase in stress to the fiver frame.

BTW, I had a 2001 Trail-lite, maybe the same model number, I can't remember. Anyway, the frame is definitely steel. The superstructure uses aluminum studs and the underbelly panels are aluminum. But if you look inside the front storage compartment or where the torsion axles bolt to the frame, you will see the steel frame.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos