cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Satellite Setup

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
I would finally like to setup for satellite in my 5th wheel. As have many before me I can’t decide between Dish vs. Direct. I also realize that both offer monthly service options.
Things to know: I do not have ATT phone service but rather Verizon and that is a slight negative vs Direct. Also, I do not have either Dish or Direct at home just typical cable.
Outstanding questions include: 1. Do I drop the home cable and go totally Dish/Direct? (I could get my internet via my century link land line) 2. Should I buy the total package from Dish/Direct vs. buying hardware, converter and satellite dish from say amazon etc. 3. What have I not also considered regarding going satellite other than the obvious “choose an open campsite , avoid tree cover”. Thank you all in advance. Happy Trails
30 REPLIES 30

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer
We have cable at home for Internet and Dish for TV. We have had Dish in the camper for years. We went with Dish because it was cheaper. We use to have a regular dish that we had to point, we got tired of always having to point the dish and went with a Tailgaters. That was so much better. We liked that so well that we now have another one for the outside tv. I think that we are going to try a Wally this summer, we now have an older 211 and a 211z.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
We use DTV and still use a standard dish, non HD, single LNB. So, it is ez to find a single sat. thru a hole in the trees, whatever. One issue for me is physical size of the dish and storage, mine folds flat and hangs from two hooks in the front compartment, using minimal space. Not sure where I would store an automatic dish and what else I would have to rearrange or leave at home.

We also have to old directv setup with a portable stand. I have gotten to be an expert at finding the satellite through the trees. We have the standard signal. I can not get the HD signal through the tree branches. The HD signal has a wider footprint than the SD. Soon, I think, directv will drop the SD and make everone use the HD.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
This setup works better than the Tailgater and 211 receiver I had before.

Have looked at the Wally myself. Interested what you like about the Wally when compared to the 211z.

The main reason is the remote is RF on the Wally so I don't have to keep the cabinet open above the TV to use it. The menu is different and I think it has more functions but maybe that's just me. Bottom line is I would not go back if I had a choice.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both companies over the years and when the Hopper and Joey came out we made the switch for good for our home service. We also use Dishnet sat for our internet service. It only made sense for us to go with the Tailgater and 211z through Dish for an additional $7 a month. Roll out the cable point it southish and turn it on. By the time I get the rest of camp set up the dish is up and running.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
wallaceb wrote:
I would finally like to setup for satellite in my 5th wheel. As have many before me I can’t decide between Dish vs. Direct. I also realize that both offer monthly service options.
Things to know: I do not have ATT phone service but rather Verizon and that is a slight negative vs Direct. Also, I do not have either Dish or Direct at home just typical cable.
Outstanding questions include: 1. Do I drop the home cable and go totally Dish/Direct? (I could get my internet via my century link land line) 2. Should I buy the total package from Dish/Direct vs. buying hardware, converter and satellite dish from say amazon etc. 3. What have I not also considered regarding going satellite other than the obvious “choose an open campsite , avoid tree cover”. Thank you all in advance. Happy Trails

I have had directv for 14 years. Only real problem is that we can not get the network programs, abc cbs fox, when traveling. We can only get the satellite programs.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
We have Direct TV at home and in our motorhome. No complaints I like direct tv and they have been good to deal with. We bought a portable dish at Camping World that uses only Direct TV. We did have to get a box from them that was compatable with the system.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish and a Pathway X2 with the 211 receiver. We also have Dish at home. We couldn't be happier with the ease of setup or the $7 a month fee for the RV. The biggest thing when purchasing, for us, was ease of set up.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
This setup works better than the Tailgater and 211 receiver I had before.

Have looked at the Wally myself. Interested what you like about the Wally when compared to the 211z.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish at home so I have a Pathway X2 automatic dish with a Wally receiver plus external hard drive so I can use the DVR capability of the Wally and they work great for $7 a month. I did have to buy the dish, hard drive and Wally for about $550 up front. This setup works better than the Tailgater and 211 receiver I had before.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

cockroach
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a Tailgator 3 with 2 receivers and 1 coax connection on the Tailgator. How does it serve both receivers? TY for your response.
Good Health is merely the slowest way you can die !!!🙂

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
We were in a similar situation when we still owned our house. We elected to keep the cable for signal quality (e.g. no rain fade) and for internet service. In addition we knew we would be selling our home in a couple years so it didn't seem to make much sense. We purchased a 211z and a Tailgater to use with the RV.

The only issue with that was with the RV plan we had to pay for a full month for every month we wanted to use it. Living in AZ we would normally take our RV out once a month and usually just for a 3 night weekend. So in affect we were paying $30+ a day for satellite for the 3 days used (our plan is $97.02 a month, including HD). Some will claim you can use it for 3 days and have it discontinued to receive a refund. However that is not Dish's policy.

Now that we fulltime we continue to use Dish and the lack of DNS isn't an issue. As we travel throughout the US we just keep changing our service address to receive the main networks (i.e. NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.).
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We use DirecTv and have for years. As full timers, we have Distance Network Service giving us the networks on both the east and west coasts which Dish does not offer anymore. Before we had our rooftop satellite installed, we used a system from tv4rv.com which made set up on a tripod easy.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest difference between the two at least for me was the cost of going Hi Def with Direct. Auto tune antenna for HD Dish is abt $3-500. HD Direct Tv is $1500 and you don't own the receiver, you rent it.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

glodal134
Explorer
Explorer
I have had satellite Dish and or Direct TV for about 20 years, In our home at the farm. If I had too chose I would take Dish anytime. However I recently purchased a long range HD antenna from amazon for about $ 39.00 and installed it on my 5th wheel at our permanent campsite at oak harbor Ohio. ( on the lake ) I was amazed at the reception I get 35 0r 40 channels at no cost. I pull Detroit - Flint - Cleveland - Toledo and if I want to watch a movie I crank up my laptop and watch Netflix. My main complaint with Dish and Direct is the cost. The sky's the limit Depending on the level of service that you chose. I'm going to install a long range HD antenna on my farm house and I might try FLING and If it works out I might pull the satellite plug for good.