cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bags

batmack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I was not concerned about the weight. Was curious about the benefits of air bags.
9 REPLIES 9

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My heavy bed put me close to the bottom OLs and they ruined the ride. I added the bags and tried removing the OLs but my 2wd really needed that extra 3/4". I put them back in but with the ends cut off. Then I added a 3" x 24" PVC expansion tank to the bags cuz the compression was coming up too quickly. It was a serious of trial and error but I got my dually riding better than any 1/2T I've had. I can tune out bad roads with the bags and the air-adjust Rancho shocks do just as much good as the bags. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
mdamerell wrote:
We added them not for the weight but to get us away from the overload spring. When loaded we were 1/4" off the overloads so when we hit a bump a got a double bounce as the suspension bumped off the overload springs. The air bags leveled us a little and got ride of the second bump. We run about 5-8# empty and the ride is a little worse but made a difference while loaded. I set the bags about 15# then set the trailer on it. Have not measured it with the trailer attached. Some people air the bags up separate to allow them to level side to side. I just "plumbed" them together so they equalize like on my big truck.

Would love to just swap out the suspension for an air ride suspension but not in the budget.
Since you do not need the overloads, would it have been cheaper to just remove them?

Probably; thought of taking the frame brackets off but not sure how I would use the truck in the future. This way I have more options. By scales I have 3,500 cargo capacity and only 2,600# of pin weight so I have room. The 2004 trucks had low numbers compared to the new trucks.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
LINK to other Air Bag post
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I have used air bags on my last three trucks Including the one in the sig. First I use Air Lift Ultimate. They can be run without air as they have a bumper within them. The first truck I always had to make sure I had 5lbs in each min. when empty. I use them to assisted with the loaded ride. They make a difference on bad roads. They will level out truck aka headlights Also I put a compressor on this truck what a nice option. My opinion is I tow big, heavy and far. Why not make the journey as pleasant as possible.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
I put the airbags on to: 1) Level the truck a bit (run at 35psi) and 2)dampen the bounce going over things like freeway overpasses or RR tracks. Makes for a much smoother ride and the "chucking" went away completely.
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
We added them not for the weight but to get us away from the overload spring. When loaded we were 1/4" off the overloads so when we hit a bump a got a double bounce as the suspension bumped off the overload springs. The air bags leveled us a little and got ride of the second bump. We run about 5-8# empty and the ride is a little worse but made a difference while loaded. I set the bags about 15# then set the trailer on it. Have not measured it with the trailer attached. Some people air the bags up separate to allow them to level side to side. I just "plumbed" them together so they equalize like on my big truck.

Would love to just swap out the suspension for an air ride suspension but not in the budget.
Since you do not need the overloads, would it have been cheaper to just remove them?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Our Ford came with them installed. Just got back home after 5,400 miles of towing fully loaded in 9 weeks with only 20 lbs in them. They helped level everything and kept us from bouncing a lot, but didn't ride that well when we were driving about solo. Usually I only have 10 or less pounds in them. Don't know as I'd get them myself unless the truck/trailer needed leveling help.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Level the TV and I'm guessing might help to stabilize the suspension a bit as well ... or at least my Timbrens did!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS