Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Pin Box: Which one to get???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am thinking of getting an air-type pin box for my trailer to smooth out the ride and add control. Which one do you have / recommend? I am leaning toward the Reese 5th Airborne based on reviews I have seen so far. I have a Lippert right now.

thanks
Matt
25 REPLIES 25

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm quite happy with my trail air. You can see it work while driving over the bumps. I am quite new to th 5th wheel world and have bot towed without this on the trailer. I do have second thoughts about the $1,000 it cost to upgrade and wonder if the Morryde rubber pin box would have been just as good for nearlt half the price.

Either way I've had no chucking and nothing but a pleasant ride when towing a 40' camper with a SRW without any airbags.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
For the first 2 years with my 11,000# Wildcat I towed using the factory installed BAL Lippert 1621 clone (no shocks, no air, no rubber) and it towed great. The few times we even felt a chuck was crossing over an old, severely in need of repair, bridge joint (like those on I-20 in Shreveport). Everywhere else just fine though. Then Forest River sent me a new pinbox because the original one was rated less than the designated Gross Vehicle Weight for my trailer (side note: I had never loaded up to the GVWR limit, so my original pinbox never did exceed limit).

The new one they sent is the BAL Rubber Pin Box (aka RPB, it was the model that's a bolt-match replace for the LCI 1621). I had the new RPB installed and we've now towed about 12,000 miles with it. It made a significant difference and our last trip across the Shreveport bridges confirmed it is indeed a better ride.

The BAL RPB uses a rubber plate to absorb shocks (no airbag, no compression shock). We like and recommend it.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I โ€œupgradedโ€ to a Trail Air on our 5er probably 5 or 6 years ago. In my opinion the change was a waste of money as the ride is not significantly different.

X2. We traveled extensively with the TrailAir for 3 or 4 years and never saw the great improvement that people claim vs. the fixed pin box it replaced.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I โ€œupgradedโ€ to a Trail Air on our 5er probably 5 or 6 years ago. In my opinion the change was a waste of money as the ride is not significantly different.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
Also have Reese 5th airborne and we love it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2nd 5th AB and very satisfied with it. Takes a little to dial in, but everything is still in place inside RV and ride on both truck and RV is smooth. Kinda neat watching the pin box flex and not feel it in cab of truck.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply compare the geometry of the two. TrailAire wins hands down.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Have had a 5th Airborne on our 5er for 8 yrs. Works great.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Habe only had a TrailAir and like it just fine. With the shock and indicator lable its easy to see when you havemthe right amount of air in the air bag.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:
We like our Reese 5th Airborne so much, we had the dealer switch out the pin box when we traded in our trailer for a new one. Donโ€™t have experience with the other air pin boxes to compare though.
We did the same
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Reese 5th Airborne so much, we had the dealer switch out the pin box when we traded in our trailer for a new one. Donโ€™t have experience with the other air pin boxes to compare though.
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats