cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum 5th Wheel

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are there other 5th wheel manufacturers, like CampLite, that use aluminum construction--especially in the roof and truss areas?
9 REPLIES 9

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have zero fear or worry about wood construction. A HUGE positive for wood is the simplicity of adding to or modifying it. I'm a little leery of fiberglass bat insulation though. How many wood boats are out there? Preventive maintenance is the name of the game.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 5er had aluminum roof trusses and our new one has wood, the walls are aluminum. I don't know if it is just the the way they were constructed but the wood truss roof is firmer to walk on.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MewshawManor
Explorer
Explorer
There are some manufacturers who have aluminum studs but use wood trusses. We specifically asked and were amazed how many we found out used wood for roof support. We made sure our particular K-Z was all aluminum.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
aluminum can have its issues too, but I prefer it to the wood.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, good to know most of them are aluminum now! Didn't see aluminum mentioned at many of the websites I visited. Guess it's so commonplace now they don't make a big deal out of it anymore.

I've seen too many older 5th wheels with structurally compromised, water damaged, wood structures. Have no desire to deal with these issues.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My Montana is aluminum.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of Thor, Forest River brands are all aluminum.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's fairly common:
Palomino/Sabre Factory Tour Photos:
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The Majority of the manufacturers use aluminum.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed