cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum Roof Trusses - Grand Design uses Wood Trusses ???

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
One of my priorities during my search for a new 5er is a 6 sided Aluminum infrastructure ….. with aluminum roof trusses.
My thinking all along is it is easier to recover from water intrusion damage, if insulation and paneling is all you need to replace; whereas wood rot is a major structural repair…on top of the insulation and paneling. And isn’t metal to metal bonding more rigid than metal to wood bonding?

We are days away from pulling the trigger on a new Grand Design Solitude, and I have just overlooked the aluminum frame issue because I was told in July the Solitude has the aluminum roof trusses. And on the Grand Design website in July 2015 under the features it clearly states “Aluminum Frame Construction” (no mention of only 5 sides). In the early days this was a show stopper. We automatically eliminated rigs that did not have 6 Aluminum sides. The RV industry is filled less expensive, lower quality rigs with 6 sided aluminum infrastructure.

For a company that is setting new standards in the RV industry, why does GD use wood for the roof trusses? Is it a cost cutting measure? Is there an advantage to wood over Aluminum?

We are literally considering pulling the trigger this weekend, and this just occurs to me. This is a probable show stopper !!!!

Aluminum roof is a big deal to me so ……Why wood trusses? What am I missing?

Note: I have posted this question on the GD forum.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas
25 REPLIES 25

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 buddies that have Solitude's and it is a 10in I beam frame (go out and measure it)I guess you did not look or know what to look for as others brands in the price range ,Heartland Big Horn and Montana Legacy's too name a few have 12 in I beam frames Awesome Sony or Samsung HOME Theatre DVD/Blu Ray Surround systems STANDARD not options My buddies Solitude's TV and Jensen/Furrion "sound" Systems STINK and if you go to the GD Forum many people have asked them to change that and the stairs,add a vacuum, rear Cap, ceiling fan etc.. to no avail,you did Not get the best 5er for your money.... Sorry Again Solitudes are not bad Rv's it is just the EQuipment they put on their flagship RV is what others put on their mid range models but if you are happy with it that is all that counts ,I will give ya they have had good customer service but then again I had no problem with Heartland and Keystone's customer service either
Dave&Jeanette wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
The honeymoon is over for Grand Designs people are catching on to them cheaping out on ALOT of things like... Wood trusses,old school 10in frame ,cheap Tv's and Sound systems,No central vacs,no rear cap,cheaper suspension and pin box, no whisper ducted A/C No 4 step entry and the list goes on, for my 65K I want more bang for my buck than they offer,look at the other brands in the Solitudes price range and you will get it ,some first time Rv owners have no idea what to look for other than looks do yourself a favor and compare the things I just listed with their competition and you will see,they are not bad 5er's but just have some catching up to do and you would think after 3 years or so they have been in the Business they would improve but they have not

I looked at a lot of other 5ver's and for my money I went with the Solitude. I know that my Solitude does not have a 10 inch frame as you are stating. All RV manufacturers use what I consider to be cheap TV's and Stereo systems. Most manufacturers still do not have the whisper quiet AC, so that was not a factor in my decision. 4 step entry would be nice but not a deal breaker.
The biggest thing I learned about GD was that their reputation for service after the purchase and their customer service is what puts them heads above all the other manufacturers.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
The honeymoon is over for Grand Designs people are catching on to them cheaping out on ALOT of things like... Wood trusses,old school 10in frame ,cheap Tv's and Sound systems,No central vacs,no rear cap,cheaper suspension and pin box, no whisper ducted A/C No 4 step entry and the list goes on, for my 65K I want more bang for my buck than they offer,look at the other brands in the Solitudes price range and you will get it ,some first time Rv owners have no idea what to look for other than looks do yourself a favor and compare the things I just listed with their competition and you will see,they are not bad 5er's but just have some catching up to do and you would think after 3 years or so they have been in the Business they would improve but they have not

I looked at a lot of other 5ver's and for my money I went with the Solitude. I know that my Solitude does not have a 10 inch frame as you are stating. All RV manufacturers use what I consider to be cheap TV's and Stereo systems. Most manufacturers still do not have the whisper quiet AC, so that was not a factor in my decision. 4 step entry would be nice but not a deal breaker.
The biggest thing I learned about GD was that their reputation for service after the purchase and their customer service is what puts them heads above all the other manufacturers.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I actually find the roof on our Reflection stiffer to walk on than the aluminum truss roof on our previous Titanium. Installed a central vac myself. Piece of cake.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't be concerned about wood trusses. I think it's the Teton FW that is exclusively wood framed, and that is one of the best made FWs available. As others said, maintain the roof and you needn't worry.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
Some think wood roof trusses are better because they don't conduct cold as easily as aluminum.

I agree about using aluminum structural parts and having less chance of rot causing structural problems.

Also look for vents on the roof for the attic area.

As to which is better, I don't know. The one I am going to buy soon has aluminum trusses.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be more concerned about the OSB roofing material than the framing members. Wood is used extensively throughout on TT/5ers for roof framing. I would have no qualms about it.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
You speak as if roof leaks are inevitable/expected. Keep up on roof maintenance/inspections and likely not an issue.

X-2 maintain the roof and you won't have to worry about leaks. Also make sure to check the seal around the windows.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd sure like to know what those "new standards in the RV industry" are...They don't look any different than any other mid priced RV to me..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
You speak as if roof leaks are inevitable/expected. Keep up on roof maintenance/inspections and likely not an issue.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
You might check back at GDOF. There are answers and even one from GD.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat