cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum vs Wood construction

Helipilot
Explorer
Explorer
Narrowing down our final choices for a fiver. DRV Mobile Suites have an aluminum frame and cold weather capability. Excel have a wooden frame and also cold weather capable. For long term use with proper maintenance which would be better?

In full disclosure, we have owned an Excel tow behind and found it comfortable but heavy. Currently have a 2015 GMC 3500 crew cab, 8' bed, DRW diesel as our proposed TV.
Roger and Barbara
On the pale blue planet, retired and happy!
2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 with vanity slide
22 REPLIES 22

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

All other things being equal I'd favor the metal frame.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Having dealt with water damage on last wood trailer (no fun...)my new trailer is all aluminum and I feel much better about it.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I vote aluminum because leaks can do alot of damage before they are detected.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum doesn't rot.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that both methods are used by high-end builders, like your examples, and low-end builders.

It comes down to workmanship, which in your examples are both excellent.

Personally I would go with which ever rig suits your needs best.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both. I now will always go with aluminum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wood frame as long as there are never any leaks to cause damage to the wood.

With an aluminum frame water is not going to cause damage to the frame. It might cause delimitation and damage to the wood inside however.

With proper maintenance and no leaks, both construction methods are certainly acceptable.

It really is a matter of personal preference. Just like Chevy vs Ford. They are both good, just a matter on what you like.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We looked hard at both before we made our choice. We even went to the factory in Kansas for Excel. We liked both units. No issue with wood vs. alum. Both are quality units and we loved the hickory cabinets and wood floors in the Excel Limited. For us the deciding factors was the kitchen layout and the storage in the bedroom and as full timers a little more length. The MS had more storage in both areas. My wife is a make from scratch cook so she has lots of appliances. The closet is bigger and we had more storage in the dressers. Both are heavy my MS came from the factory with a dry weight of 17245. I have not yet weighed it. My Ram handles it with ease and probably most late model DRW Diesels will handle either one also. Either one will serve you well it just comes down to floor plan and options.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a search using the function at the top of the page. It has been discussed several times recently