cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any haulers with 20 foot cargo length?

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I'm new to RVing and hauling but I have an 18 foot "toy" that I want to take with me camping to various places across the US. I'm trying to decide between buying a toy hauler vs. buying a 30' motorhome pulling a 20' enclosed trailer. The motorhome-pulling-a-trailer idea sounds like a 55' train of disaster just waiting to happen, but the problem with toy haulers is that most of them only have a 10'-12' "cargo area". My toy is just a little over 18 feet long (but only a few feet wide at the ends). Does anyone have any suggestions on any toy haulers like that? Personally I'd just settle on a bare bones 20' enclosed trailer but the misses wants a bed to sleep on and a bathroom to pee in and the usual stuff like that... go figure 🙂 Also I don't own a tow vehicle yet so I'm leaning towards a 5th wheel as opposed to a TT (for stability and handling advantages etc.)

Thanks for any advice!!
40 REPLIES 40

Bedlam
Most standard Class C motor homes run an extension off the rear of the vehicle chassis which limits them to 5000 lb towing. Most enclosed trailers 18' or longer are over 2500 lbs empty. You have to get a Super C to get higher tow ratings which will increase the vehicle price. If you want 4wd, few Class C rigs offer it as an option.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

WGLASSJR
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever consider a 29'or shorter MH with a slide and a 18' cargo trailer?

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
Identifier wrote:
I need to find a truck camper to go visit though so I can check out all the models since nobody around where I live sells them (they don't sell the toy haulers either).

YouTube

You can find almost any video on any RV you want. Start with the search term truck camper interior once there.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need an enclosed gooseneck trailer with living quarters. Lengths up to 53ft.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

DCBarger
Explorer
Explorer
The only drawback to a TC is they are not really comfortable to hang out in like if you got caught in bad weather. We were always doing something else and the camper was only for dining/showering/sleeping and they are perfect for that. Other than that, they are a great RV. No power train, registration and fairly easy maintenance. With wireless electric jacks, on and off really quick. We had 2 Lance Campers over the years. First one when the kids were young and loved it. I was racing cars at the time and also riding father/son enduros with my boys. We towed a 20' enclosed for the race car and a small utility trailer for the MCs. Never had a problem with it.
Time went on, sold the first TC, did the MH deal while the kids were growing up. Sold it and bought another Lance TC. I had a 1 ton dually and never gave it a thought about weight. It was OK with our 4k lb ski boat, but couldn't imagine towing our current enclosed trailer behind it like we used to. IMHO Some of the new/larger TC's are to much for a 1 ton truck if you want to tow a bigger trailer. Do your homework on these.
DW is saying to go for a toy hauler this time around. Still looking/thinking which way to go but a shorter/lighter TC is still a consideration.

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
Cyclone has a new model, CY 3418, with full actual 18' garage (not 17.5' like the 4018), but I don't like the layout. No couch, no table. Just two swivel chairs.

Funny you mention TCs. I've been looking at truck campers myself, such as the Lance, Adventurer, Ascent, etc. I have a RAM 3500 Dually so I'm not worried about weight. What's fascinating though is that some truck campers actually have MORE features than the gigantic 5th wheel toy haulers! Both have queen beds, places for your clothes, kitchen (stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator), drawers, full bathroom (even with separate tub in a lot of truck campers), couch/booth/dinette, etc. In fact, some of the larger truck campers even have both a booth/dinette AND a separate couch with pull-down bunkbeds over them as well. But 5th wheel toy haulers, despite being so much bigger, don't seem to add any more counter space, more seating options, or more surface/table space. The closets and refrigerator might be bigger, there there might be more storage space, but most of the additional square footage seems to be spent on hallways and the ability to walk around the bedroom.

Personally I'd rather the bedrooms in the toy haulers were kept small & cozy, and let me use the additional room for a nice big dinette/table and a big reclining sofa. Maybe even a coffee table and a 60" TV or something to make it feel like a real "home". Maybe I'm unique but I really don't need all that walking space around the bed (I don't mind if gal climbs over me ;)) and I think open floor space is wasted space.

Honestly the only benefit I can see to a toy hauler vs. a truck camper + utility trailer is that you can use the garage as an actual workspace/livingspace when your toy is not in it. Also you can boondock for much longer in a toy hauler due to the larger tanks.

I think I'll wait until I'm ready to be a full-timer before I get an actual toy hauler, and in the mean time I'm thinking of just getting a truck camper + enclosed utility trailer. I need to find a truck camper to go visit though so I can check out all the models since nobody around where I live sells them (they don't sell the toy haulers either).

DCBarger
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread as I'm in the same situation. Our "toy" is only about 18' but heavier at almost 3k lbs. I had a Lance 1121 TC but it was so heavy (almost 5k lbs wet & loaded) I was concerned about towing our 26' enclosed race trailer with it. Sold the TC and now considering either another smaller TC or going to a TH that will fit the race boat. Another limiting factor is our truck is a 2000 Chevy dually with a 454 gas motor. With 3 kids in college, buying a new truck is out of the question for the time being. Reading everything I can find on larger toy haulers or smaller TCs.

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
The 18' length is with the wing disassembled. When the wing is assembled it's about 34' wide.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The wing doesn't disassemble for transport?
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BigJon05
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 07 Raptor 3924 SS. It has like 23' to the kitchen counter and 1 slide for the master bedroom. I think they only made them for 1 or 2 years.
2007 3924 Raptor
03 F350 PSD longbed, 6" fabtec, BFG 35, airbags and compressor
09 Can-am Outlander 800 max xt ltd
07 Can-am Outlander 650 max xt

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to get a garage model and still make it work-

Just leave the door open from the garage into the living space and have the wing sit in both spaces- you might need to change the door so it opens into the garage but that is an easy change. Another option- build a box the wing can sit inside of on the roof itself.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Bedlam
That's what we did. To extend dry camping capaciticies, the enclosed trailer has additional LPG, fresh water and gray water tanks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Our Weekend Warrior has 19 1/2' of cargo room to the cabinet. It is 36' in length.

Here's another possibility since the toy doesn't weight much. A regular truck with a truck camper and a small enclosed towable trailer. Wife would have her bed and bathroom and you would have a simple enclosed trailer.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer