cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have a car topper boat or kayak when towing a 5er?

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Started thinking about how to go fishing from a 5er and wondered if anyone has been able to fit a rack over the tow rig to carry a small boat or Kayaks.

Pictures would be great to see if they're out there.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
20 REPLIES 20

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Canoe, I'm leaning towards a 12' - 14' aluminum boat with higher sides than most so I'll want the racks with a loader.

I like the headache rack idea or the travel carrier on top of the cab with the t-Mount on the front, I planned on installing a hitch receiver on the front for either bikes or a small motorcycle and my alternate toys (when I get them) is going to be a small kayak for the wife and a longer ocean kayak for me.

Still like seeing what guys are doing and getting great ideas on how to rig up for carrying toys to play with...

Bill

Bowti wrote:
Bill
There are many examples of setups if your do a search. It is very easy to carry at least 15 feet with the front t-bar and a single roof rack.
Don't know what exactly you want to carry, but I carry a X-13 sportspal canone ( 57 lbs), along with a 4 hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard motor (33 lbs), which I put in the basement of the 5R works for me.
The sportpal allows me to hit all the waters I want to have fun in, as it is unsinkable for safety reasons and suites my fishing life perfectly.
Also understand most of the football goal post front end carrier racks pivot so you only have to lift half of the weight of you boat at a time.
Our first fifth wheel!!!

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer

Here is my setup. I carry two 10' kayaks on Thule roof racks mounted on two sets of J-cradles. I have a 6.75' box. I have to mount the kayaks as far forward and close to center as possible.
Works great!!
Bob
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Bill
There are many examples of setups if your do a search. It is very easy to carry at least 15 feet with the front t-bar and a single roof rack.
Don't know what exactly you want to carry, but I carry a X-13 sportspal canone ( 57 lbs), along with a 4 hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard motor (33 lbs), which I put in the basement of the 5R works for me.
The sportpal allows me to hit all the waters I want to have fun in, as it is unsinkable for safety reasons and suites my fishing life perfectly.
Also understand most of the football goal post front end carrier racks pivot so you only have to lift half of the weight of you boat at a time.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Jgeorger1
Explorer
Explorer
We have Thule bars mounted on our Ram 3500 long bed, and carry 2 Old Town Otters no problem.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pics, looks like you have room for longer boats also.

I've been looking at home made boat tenders or launchers, few cables and a boat winch and it might work just fine.

Bill

nremtp143 wrote:
Front mounted receiver with a Rhino-Rack T bar, set of roof racks on the cab.
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen the folding boats but that's not going to quench my need for salt. I'd like a high sided boat for crabbing and fishing the bays and the option to switch out to an ocean kayak, those run pretty long from what I've read.

jerem0621 wrote:
Portaboat is a great option.
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jerem0621 wrote:

I have a 14' Porta Bote that I carry beneath trailer secured with ratchet straps
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 14 ft jon boat with 2 kayaks.
I have posted pics of it before.
am away from my computer that has them right now
it really works well. I do carry my boat right side up. With it upside down I got way to much movement. Will ty to get pics when I can
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Front mounted receiver with a Rhino-Rack T bar, set of roof racks on the cab.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a Darby T-bar and a front mounted receiver to carry a 14' kayak. Used one roof rack on the back of the cab. Worked well.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Yakima roof rack and J holders and carry two 10' kayaks with no issue, about to upgrade to 12' kayaks and should still have plenty of room. Rack easily comes off when not needed.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 10' anglers kayak on the roof of my crew cab. I've got roof racks on the roof. It works very well.
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a dually quad cab with two Yakima bars mounted across the roof. Then a kayak rack mounted to each bar in the middle. The kayaks are stacked (one on top of another). I use a ratchet strap across each bar and over the kayaks. Then there is a ratchet strap from the rear of the kayaks to the fiver hitch bolt. This is an 8' bed. Then a ratchet strap from the front of the kayaks down to the bike rack that is mounted to a receiver under the front end. I'd take a picture but they are off for the season while we are in Yuma, AZ. for the winter. When we use them here in the Colorado River we just throw them in the truck bed. In Montana and Idaho during the summer, I often see trucks puling a fiver with a canoe or kayaks over the truck roof.