cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone See This!!

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone see this yet?? What are your thoughts??

"New" Excel Winslow w/main door in slide-out
64 REPLIES 64

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Interesting what people find important in an rv. You would think it were things like, construction, building materials, weights and measures, etc. Instead, people worry about being being able to get to the bathroom while on the road. Wow, you stop at a rest stop and they have bathrooms.

I always get a kick out of rv shows. People talk about the number of flat screens, outside sound systems, color choices and valances.

All those things can be added or changed, the wall insulation, layout, and construction cannot.

Love this rv!

People take a wide range of items into what they consider in an RV. The manufacturer can use the best of materials and workmanship and find that the floor plan only appeals to a very few buyers. The choice is not all materials or all floorplans.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this in Trailer Living Magazine. While I don't really care for the look of the steps on the side, the fact is no set of steps are particularly esthetic. The interior layout rocks. I like the separation between the recliners and the dinette. This layout would not be possible without the door in the slide. The slide runs all the way from the back of the unit up to the steps. While some have said you can't access the bathroom with the slide in, I wonder if that is actually true. The slide comes up to the bottom of the steps, but I wonder if you can't access from the side of the steps. This unit looks like it has a lot of livability, and the one in the magazine came with 17.5 wheels and Goodyear tires. The tires are much better than most. The price point is on the high end, but I am not familiar with its overall construction. Good for them for thinking outside of the box. Pun intended.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting what people find important in an rv. You would think it were things like, construction, building materials, weights and measures, etc. Instead, people worry about being being able to get to the bathroom while on the road. Wow, you stop at a rest stop and they have bathrooms.

I always get a kick out of rv shows. People talk about the number of flat screens, outside sound systems, color choices and valances.

All those things can be added or changed, the wall insulation, layout, and construction cannot.

Love this rv!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks Russell. Just looking at the floor plan it looked like access would be blocked. Of course, I have not seen one yet. That isn't the first time I've been wrong.
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Skip, you can access the 1/2 bath and refrigerator with the slides in.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
OK, just by looking at the floor plan, I would say that not only can you not get to the bedroom (and therefore the large front bath) with the slide in, but you may not be able to get to the half bath either without climbing over the center island. If that is the case, you can't get to the bedroom, bathroom, or refer with the slides in. Why would Excel do this? They could have allowed access to the half bath by putting the dinette where the door is and shortening the curb-side slide. This would have resulted in a more standard 3 or 4 slide unit. I don't get it. Oh yeah, and I don't much like it either.

BTW, we have learned to live without access to the refer in our Cedar Creek. DW packs us a lunch which we carry with us in a little cooler. But for me, access to that bathroom has saved the day more than once.
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
No mfg's ?!? really - that's too bad that 'the horses' mouth would be blocked ๐Ÿ™‚

but their site, their rules !

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy. Big rule broken.

Too bad, but rules are rules.

No manufacturers on this forum. Sorry to say the posts by excelrvguy are by a manufacturer.

Good info though. But I would bet anything it will shortly be removed. It has to be very tough for them to post in any kind of manner, as wording is so particular that almost anything they say, trying to be helpful, comes out as some sort of advertising.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Could be perfect for snowbirds.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
relaxin wrote:
naaaa, don't like it, seems problematic, + 2 washrooms, and one with a double sink,,, like really??? why haul around the extra weight and square footage tied up in bathroom s, one is plenty, make the whole unit smaller or ad extra living room or kitchen space, put a bigger dine table instead of an extra bathroom, that would be more useful by far

Try telling that to my wife.
She has her heart set on Gulfstream Yellowstone 36FBQS.
Bath and a half does make sense if traveling with kids.

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
my thought is they designed it to be a house at a resort..the door in the slide would not be to bad if it was set up like the long termers at the local rv park..they have decks and supports under their slides..
1999 F550 truck conversion

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
It is an interesting layout. I bet people who stay in RV resorts with wide space would love it. Myself I dry camp in forest service campgrounds with lots of trees so it is not for me. But I like the fact that Excel is trying something new.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
This would be a pretty short thread, not to mention pretty useless for constructive criticism, if no one posted except people who liked it. All 1 of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess my mom is alive and well on the forum: "If you can't say anything nice about anybody(thing) don't say anything." Of course most forums of all kinds would cease to exist if that happened. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_E
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Gosh, I just love all this negative vibes whenever a new idea comes along.

Mind you, I probably would never own this particular model. But Excel says right on their web site that one can enter the fiver and access most anything with the slides IN.

So that means fridge and bathroom, of which I believe there are two in this model.

So lets open up a little on this rigid, negative thinking. Sure, maybe we would not buy one, but that does not mean we have to comment negatively about it.

I am positive I don't like the stairs hanging on the side of the slide (ugly)

I am positive I don't care for the door in the slide

I am positive I like the plan except for the door (slide the table over and put the door in the wall)

I am positive I like the extra water closet

I am positive I like the king size bed option

I am positive I won't be buying it any time soon

And I am positive these are my thoughts
If at first you don't succeed--don't try sky diving!!
I'd rather be camping

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
excelrvguy wrote:
The axles are actually 2 - 8K axles but when we spec the unit we use the weakest link which would be the "standard" G-rated tires (3750#/tire).

Even though "G" tires are standard, virtually every coach is ordered with optional 17.5" "H" rated tires (4850#/tire) bringing the overall CAWR up to the 16K capacity. Most order disc brakes also. This combination allows for almost 4,000 lbs of payload.

So, the next question is "Why don't they just make them standard!" The simple answer is.... marketing. In order to show a more competitive base price. The same reason electric windows and door locks are still optional on most cars. When was the last time you owned a car without optional electric windows & door locks?

Obviously, the opinion on this forum that no one likes this model. I certainly respect your opinions. I've been in the industry for 33 years and heard the same comments about slide-outs when they came out. When Excel introduced the first fireplace in an RV, we heard "Who needs a fireplace in an RV?" How many now own a unit without a fireplace or slide-outs?

Is it for everyone (Or even the majority)? No! Is it for you? Maybe not...

But our initial orders reflect the thoughts those who have actually been in it and love it.

If you would like to withold judgement until you see it, there will be one on display at the largest RV show in the Nation... Hershey

There have been some great innovations come from manufacturers who aren't afraid to try new things.

Good explanation on the axels. And I, like most of those commenting on here, couldn't tow this unit anyway due to weight. But if the wife said she loved it, odds are we would be getting a new truck. lol
I didn't really look around the site to see if you have other models but if you can use the door in the slide idea to take a 20' trailer and basically make one whole side a slide you have effectively added a good 30% to the interior space without increasing the length of the unit. Keep coming up with ideas. Some people like change.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500