cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we just Too Picky!!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
The DH and I are looking to upgrade from our TT to 5th wheel. We just picked up our 2014 3500 HD Silverado 4x4 Diesel. We went that way cause we didn't want to have any limitation for weight on the 5th wheel we pick out. There are some beautiful 5ths out there but really do people that design these trailers or any of them for that matter actually camp. Our biggest want is to have the theater seating across from the entertainment center so we can look straight on to the tv and not have our necks turned all the time. Just makes good since to us! Not that we really stay inside that much but in our retirement years we will be in it months at a time. Then we find if they have the living room set up that we like, then the kitchen lacks counter space or storage space or both. Salesmans always say you cant have it all. Well I say when you are talking 60000. and up for a unit we want it the way we want it! 🙂 So are we too picky!!!!! Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
39 REPLIES 39

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of your info on the different 5th wheels! We r looking at everyone of the 5ths that you guys suggested. Lots of good info on here. I agree it is so much easier to look on line, find the dealer then go see the unit. We drove a couple of hours and checked out the Grand Design Reflection and Solitude and oh my what nice units!! Very impressed!! The workmanship on these units are impressive. Well to all of you that are looking for that perfect 5th like us, good luck to you also. The unit we choose will be one that the weight limit works well with our truck. Trust me my DH knows all about figuring the weight limit. Thanks again everyone! now back to research 🙂
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. We have been shopping for new 5th just recently and I have said the same thing "who designs these things?" One we looked at had way too much closet for a 26'r and a bank of itty bitty drawers that wouldn't hold more than two pair of underoos. Made no sense. We asked for some changes but after awhile I was redesigning the whole rig.
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
The DH and I are looking to upgrade from our TT to 5th wheel. We just picked up our 2014 3500 HD Silverado 4x4 Diesel. We went that way cause we didn't want to have any limitation for weight on the 5th wheel we pick out. There are some beautiful 5ths out there but really do people that design these trailers or any of them for that matter actually camp. Our biggest want is to have the theater seating across from the entertainment center so we can look straight on to the tv and not have our necks turned all the time. Just makes good since to us! Not that we really stay inside that much but in our retirement years we will be in it months at a time. Then we find if they have the living room set up that we like, then the kitchen lacks counter space or storage space or both. Salesmans always say you cant have it all. Well I say when you are talking 60000. and up for a unit we want it the way we want it! 🙂 So are we too picky!!!!! Thanks Tara

Two things:

First, your 3500 can tow a lot, but there are quite a few fivers that are too heavy for it.

Second: We have a Bighorn 3160 Elite. It has two recliners (theater seats optional) directly across from a 44" flat screen. It comes with a soundbar and subwoofer installed. It is prewired for satellite. I have a Winegard Trav'ler with DirecTV in both LR and BR.

Our kitchen has lots of counter space and a center island with the sink. You can tow it with a 3500, but just. Our trailer, loaded, weighs 13,500 and puts about 3,000 lbs on the truck (2,700 on the rear axle and 300 added overall).

We are very happy we chose the Bighorn.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We liked the Crusader 315RST as it had theator seating across from the TV area. It was very comfortable to sit in the chairs and watch TV at the camper show.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Another floorplan with a nice tv/chairs/fireplace configuration and lots of counter and cupboard space:

Coachman Brookstone 315rl
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

SeaRayOwner
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
We just picked up our 2014 3500 HD Silverado 4x4 Diesel. We went that way cause we didn't want to have any limitation for weight on the 5th wheel we pick out.

I think you will find you do have some limitations even with a great new truck. GM unfortunately is trailing in the tow capacity ratings when compared to the other two diesel truck competitors (Ram and Ford). I switched from GM to Ram for this very reason. There is of course even more capacity to be had if you wish to venture into a MDT or HDT.

With Duramax/Allison 4x4

3500HD Crew Cab Long bed DRW max 5th wheel weight is 22,600LBS
3500HD Double Cab Long bed DRW max 5th wheel weight is 22,800LBS
3500HD Regular Cab Long bed DRW max 5th wheel weight is 23,200LBS

3500HD Crew Cab Long bed SRW max 5th wheel weight is 16,900LBS
3500HD Crew Cab Short bed SRW max 5th wheel weight is 17,100LBS
3500HD Double Cab Long bed SRW max 5th wheel weight is 17,200LBS
3500HD Regular Cab Long bed SRW max 5th wheel weight is 17,500LBS

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3500hd-diesel-trucks/specs/capabilities.html

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Yea just brought home a 2014 Ram Longhorn drw Aisin 410 etc. It will not be an issue.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
With that big old MS, sure hope you got a pretty recent 1 ton dually as a minimum.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
It is your money and your dream so be picky and get what you like. My wife is a from scratch cook and has the appliances to go along with the title. We looked for the right kitchen with adequate counter and cabinet space. Anyway we settled on a Mobile Suites 38rssa in large part due to the kitchen and the theatre seating and the 72in. King-size bed. On order due in about a month from now. Yes and we camp at state parks with our 37ft fiver now. There will always be places you can't get in but there are plenty more you can. So live your dream. We are happily living our full time dream in sunny and hot SW Fla.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Be picky. It's your money. We plan on buying a Lifestyle in a year or two. bought the Dually this year, so we can pull it. I want some of the same things you also want. We will be picky, and keep looking till you get what you want. You can order.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
You are going to need more truck to safely pull/stop the really high-end units.

So true.

I know when we were looking it took a while to find the RV for us. When we walked into it and looked around we knew we had found it. Haven't found anything since that we like better then what we have.

2004 Hitchhiker 33LKTG Champagne.

Don't give up anything on your list. Be picky. If your not, you will be disappointed.

Good luck.

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
We also had a salesman tell us that we should not be expecting to get everything on our wish list. I had a checklist in hand, with #1 being a large rear window. He kept showing us units with rear kitchens or bedrooms until we walked out. We searched online plans and found a Montana High Country with a rear living room. THEN we located a dealer that had one in stock so we could look at it before purchase. It has everything we wanted and we love it! Keep your wish list handy and don't give up!
Cardinal 33TSLE

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
You're on the right track looking at any of the Grand Design models. They are totally top notch, and you won't find a better customer service than with GD. I have a 39' solitude and totally love it..

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
The Reflection 303 is just under 34'.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW