cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are your slides independently actuated?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to a salesman about an Open Range "The Light" and he mentioned that the two opposing slides were independently actuated. He insinuated that other brands had slides that operated only simultaneously. He also mentioned that the slides on that particular RV could be opened out to any degree you wanted, that is to say a little or all the way or anywhere in between. That statement made me wonder if that feature was unique to most brands or common in most brands. Thoughts on this?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
36 REPLIES 36

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '08 KZ Durango with 3 slides, operate electrically and have 3 independent switches that can be operated in any sequence. With all 3 slides closed (in)we can use every aspect of the RV.....a nice feature when on the road.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for other brands - or newer models.

2006 Jayco.

Slides operate independently.

Only reason I can think of to *partially* open slide/s, is for access to something the slide/s block when it (or they) are "in".

BTW - handy *if* the slide blocks something when it's in.

~

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
On my Cardnial, the front two 10ft slides are cable operated and have separate switches. The cable system for these two slides allows for a full size basement storage as there are no hydraulic rams to move the slides. The other three slides (two bedroom and large kitchen slide) are all hydraulic operated from one switch or remote and can be indivually selected if you do not want them all to open.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
The three slides on our Cougar are operated independently with their own switches. However, I do not have two slides that are directly opposite each other, but I'm not sure why them being opposite each other should matter.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

fatman71
Explorer
Explorer
My Winni Raven operates individually activated slides. and no problems
2006 Ford f-350 King Ranch 6.0l Diesel Crew Cab 4 x 4
2013 Winnebago RAVEN 3350DB
1997 Fleetwood Bounder 38z

1 wife 1 daughter 1 cats, and life to go.
Live To Love And Love To Live

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
I was talking to a salesman about an Open Range "The Light" and he mentioned that the two opposing slides were independently actuated. He insinuated that other brands had slides that operated only simultaneously. He also mentioned that the slides on that particular RV could be opened out to any degree you wanted, that is to say a little or all the way or anywhere in between. That statement made me wonder if that feature was unique to most brands or common in most brands. Thoughts on this?
Open Range are separate slide motors. They have the BAL cable system which lightens the unit 3-500# per slide. All slide motors can be gotten to from inside the rig and worked with a drill with the flexible shaft supplied. Have not had a bit of trouble with the motors or the cable.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are independent.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
One switch operates all my slideouts in "sequence". The pump has three control valves I could use to disable any of them.
As explained to me the hydraulics always push the "easiest" slide out "first", in our case its always the small bedroom slide, then either of the two big slides go out, usually the kitchen followed by the Dining room, but sometimes it varies or one goes partially and then the other.
Recent Repair Shop maintenance / check sure improved their operation after 9 years of use.
Our floorplan allows full access except to the bedroom dresser when slides are in and we routinely just put out the Bedroom Slide alone as neither of the others move until its done.
So the single switch works for us.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Augusta Flex with 3 slides and they individual operated also.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I really wouldn't recommend using a slide or leaving it, that is not fully extended or retracted. The walls/seals help support the slide.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

greende
Explorer
Explorer
My Cougar has 3 electric slides and 3 switches.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
Our two slides, full in living area and wardrobe in sleeping area, are indecently actuated by switches in the area where the slides are. That way, if we didn't want to put out the large slide, we can just put out the wardrobe one by itself.

I now have a visual of you flipping the switch....help me get it out of my head.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Our two slides, full in living area and wardrobe in sleeping area, are indecently actuated by switches in the area where the slides are. That way, if we didn't want to put out the large slide, we can just put out the wardrobe one by itself.
John A. Lichty

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Did the salesman also point out that the wheels come with rubber covers filled with various gasses to ensure a smooth safe ride? And that the walls are covered with an exterior skin to repel the elements?
I was in sales for 40 years, always looking for a "feature" my competitor didn't point out.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)