cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&W companion hitch question

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my first B&W hitch. So I am still learning. Those of you that take it in and out of your truck. Do you replace it with the gooseneck ball or just leave the hole empty?

If you leave it empty doesn't it get dirty and harder to put the companion hitch back in?

If you put the ball in do you put it in upside down so bed is clear? If so doe the latch pin under neath still latch? How much if any grease do you apply?
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
12 REPLIES 12

RDS33
Explorer
Explorer
I don't leave mine in unless needed. I know that they can bind in the hole and be very difficult to remove. So if you want it in remove once and a while to clean it. I know of one of my son's friends had to jack from the bottom and still had difficulty getting his out.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all.

I also talked to B&W, they mentioned that a small forgers coffee can lid fits perfect on the hole with plug in. I will be. Removing my hitch next week so I will see how it goes.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
I fill the hole with the turn over ball when the hitch is removed
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
To keep the crud out of mine, I just cut a six inch disc out of a piece of magnetic door sign material scrap I got from a sign maker. Covers the hole and stays put......of course, it looks better if your truck is white.

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Right now I'm running with the hitch out for some extra room, but left the post in place, primarily because I'm usually alone and keeping the pin open to replace the post is a pain.

On the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitches I've owned, it's just a matter of pulling out the handle and turning it to the right. The pin locks in the retracted position until you turn it to the left, and the spring will snap the pin into the locked position assuming the holes are lined up.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I'm running with the hitch out for some extra room, but left the post in place, primarily because I'm usually alone and keeping the pin open to replace the post is a pain. If I needed the flat bed I would just leave the hole open. My tonneau cover does make a difference. I would cover the hole if hauling something that might get in there and muck it up.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
If the hitch is out I leave the hole empty. I haven't had any issue inserting the hitch back into the truck afterwards.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I put my ball in upside down, so it fills the hole and makes the bed flat.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Only put the ball in if hauling dirt or gravel.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
On my 2500HD I flip the ball and put it back in the hole. Now, if you're hauling trash and/or dirt, it =can= work in and jam up whatever's in the hole. I'd =love= to see B&W make a sealed plug that would help with this. Still, a very rare problem.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine in inverted and the pin does slide through it. I have plenty of clearance to do this.

I have left it open on several occasions for weeks at a time and the hitch slides right in. I'm guessing unless you are hauling dirt that gets wet and turns to really thick mud that hardens like steel; you won't have a problem because the hitch is heavy enough to break through gunk as it slides down into the hole.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck is a 2WD. Because the 2WD Ram rides lower than the 4WD (at least ours with the IFS does), there's not enough clearance between the inverted ball and pinion snout of the rear axle to turn the gooseneck ball over for storage. For this application, B&W supplies a small, lightweight plug that fits in the Turnoverball gooseneck hitch and is retained by the latching pin. The plug fits flush with the top of the gooseneck hitch and gives a flat bed floor.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600