cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up a 5'ver.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a good video or write up on how to back up a 5'ver into a camping spot that someone could recommend.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
41 REPLIES 41

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
If the site is a tough one to get in, I have a thirty foot towing strap that I carry. I pull of to the side so I am not blocking traffic and place the strap where I want the wheels to finally rest. If my viewing side is out the passenger side I place the strap the width of the trailer plus extra room for driver side slide outs and some extra room. When I am backing, I use the strap as something to aim at. It works for me. I even use in a big lot where I want the trailer to end up perpendicular to the back of the site so it doesn't look crooked. It is hard for me to judge without a curb or other landmarks.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I have found that helps. After I survey the area I want to put the trailer I set a leveling block or anything where I want the left front trailer tire to be. Then I have a target and watch the trailer tire and my target as I back in.

May have to put target on right front trailer tire spot depending on conditions. I prefer to do left side if possible.

This does require a spotter to watch that no part of the trailer or TV hits anything as you are concentrating on the target.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
camperkilgore wrote:
All good advice here. When we went to a fiver after pulling a TT for years...the first thing that I ran into is the fact that the front of the fiver is right at the back glass of the truck, and nothing can be seen through the back glass or the rear view mirror. Before that, I could see the travel trailers movements through the back glass. Not so with the fiver.

So my advice is to learn to use the side mirrors. Take the time to aim the side mirrors(ideally, large electrically controlled mirrors) down, so that you can see the wheels on the fiver. As you back up, you will have to readjust the mirrors so that you can still see the wheels......take your time......and watch the wheels as you back up. If you have already gotten out and looked to see where you want the wheels to end up, then you can back the wheels to that spot.

Big side mirrors that are electrically controlled are essential. Your wife spotting for you is good, but sometimes she might not be able to.

All the other advice on positioning the rig to start the back up turn will also make it an easier process.

Great concept! I find the total use of mirror is so much easier, than twisting turning to look back over the shoulder! It also makes "Palming" the wheel easier.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice here. When we went to a fiver after pulling a TT for years...the first thing that I ran into is the fact that the front of the fiver is right at the back glass of the truck, and nothing can be seen through the back glass or the rear view mirror. Before that, I could see the travel trailers movements through the back glass. Not so with the fiver.

So my advice is to learn to use the side mirrors. Take the time to aim the side mirrors(ideally, large electrically controlled mirrors) down, so that you can see the wheels on the fiver. As you back up, you will have to readjust the mirrors so that you can still see the wheels......take your time......and watch the wheels as you back up. If you have already gotten out and looked to see where you want the wheels to end up, then you can back the wheels to that spot.

Also follow the previous advice about placing the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and moving it in the direction you want the rear of the fiver to go, and shuffle the steering wheel around

Big side mirrors that are electrically controlled are essential. Your wife spotting for you is good, but sometimes she might not be able to. I also have a back up camera looking out the rear window of the fiver, but I only use it to roughly gauge how far back to go after I've backed almost all the way in.

All the other advice which is offered in this thread regarding positioning the rig to start the back up turn will also make it an easier process.
Tom & Carol

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
This is NOT Rocket science (though it may seem like it at first)!

#1 Pull further forward than you would with a TT.
#2 Stay close to the side you are backing into, TV will swing wide not the 5er.
#3 Steer from the bottom of the wheel, push the wheel in the direction you want the back of the 5er to go, and PALM the wheel, going hand over hand will confuse the heck out of you!!
#4 Keep input small and start to straighten out early.
#5 Learn to use your mirrors, when you are not twisted around looking over your shoulder it is easier to steer.

This is what works for me.

X-2! I put emphasis on #4. Most people that are having issues while backing are "over-steering" or making too big of a correction. It's OK to have to pull forward to assist in making corrections but you should only need to pull forward a few feet.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Learned early on the the best thing the DW can do for me as she helps me back it into the yard is to keep up the chatter on the walkie talkie rather than wait until she has to yell "STOP" all of a sudden. You know, like "looks good, keep it up, going fine, a little to the left/right etc." One other thing, when you accidentally catch the corner of the roof with your side/rear windows shattering it to smithereens, it's not a good idea to blame the DW unless you want to spend the night in the RV at home for a few days. lol (don't ask me how I know this)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
My wife stays in the truck until its time to put some blocks under the wheels to fine tune leveling
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And professional drivers are taught to get out and look if you are questioning what you are doing. I still do that once in awhile for a looksee and to converse with wife/spotter about what I am attempting to do. We do use a handheld CB and the CB in the truck. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigdon68 wrote:
Best advice I can give you is to get a set of good walkie talkie's. One in the truck-- put it on the seat and the other for your spotter. Follow all the other advice about practice, mirrors, etc., but listen to your spotter.

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68

The best advice is learn to do without a spotter!!

My DW only job is to make sure no kids or animals run behind me!! I could watch for that, but just easier not to worry about.

The reason, you will not always have a spotter, and confusion between looking from the front and the back.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
stetwood wrote:
I would suggest for every 5-10 ft you back up, pull back forward 1/2 the distance getting your vehicle and 5ver more into a straight line. Each time you pull forward you are making the angle less sharp.

That's exactly what we do - and it really works. We watched our neighbor who offered to back it in for us the first time. He considers himself an expert and he must be because he backs his fiver around a corner with a fire hydrant on one side of the curve and he does fine. Anyway, he does this too - backs, stops, looks, forward, backs, stops, looks, forward (if necessary), back, stops looks. He gets in every time without a problem. Take your time.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
Like any skill, it just takes practice and patience. When I first got the 5er, I would stress out at the RV storage lot due to a sharp turn and "only" having 3 feet on each side of the trailer. Now, at my new house, my entrance gate only leaves about a foot on each side of the trailer. I was sweating bullets the first time, but now it's one shot and in. You will become a master if you challenge yourself a bit.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
5000 miles going forward is easy, 50 ft backing up...well. don't compare apples to oranges. 5ths have their own issues. Concentrate on the 5th wheel, it is NOT an A,B,C and not a travel trailer, it goes it's own way. Just practice. Some very good advice to follow the wheels. Just scope your area first so you know the hazards including overhead branches. Been doing it for 11 years an still get tense backing up.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest for every 5-10 ft you back up, pull back forward 1/2 the distance getting your vehicle and 5ver more into a straight line. Each time you pull forward you are making the angle less sharp.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice I can give you is to get a set of good walkie talkie's. One in the truck-- put it on the seat and the other for your spotter. Follow all the other advice about practice, mirrors, etc., but listen to your spotter.

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES