cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best years for used Duramax?

obie311
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife is interested in a Arctic Fox 29.5K. I think the all up GVWR is 16,600. I want something with enough torque and tow rating to not be over-stressed.

I started looking for regular 3500 DRW extended cab used trucks but they are in short supply and when you find them, they are jacked up and over-tired and inevitably owned by "Big Foot" wannabees. These trucks have so much invested in "cool mods" they cost more than a new truck.

Then I started seeing some pretty interesting deals on C4500 Kodiaks and Top Kicks w/ the Duramax/Allson combo. Relatively low mileage (60-150K) between $32-55K depending on age, trim and mileage.

Is there a best year or bracket of years for reliability in the Duramax/Allison equipment? I've read a lot on the various forums about LBY's and LBZ's but I couldn't sort out any consensus.

Appreciate any real-world advice from Duramax haulers pro or con.

Thanks,
36 REPLIES 36

snipe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 LLY 2500HD, the only change I made was to swap the turbo mouthpiece to a LBZ version to address the known overheat issue which I never experienced but did the mod anyway. I run synthetic oil. Since the truck stays in my garage most of the time it has less that 48000 miles on it. Pulls great!

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2012 Sabre 31RETS
2017 FORD F250 Lariat Diesel

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I Love my 2008 LMM, we bought it new. I have added bigger wheels and tires, replaced the original fuel tank with a 52 gal titan, and added a VVT brake.....it has 34,000 miles on it, barely broken in!! Yep, it sits garaged, and I only use it to tow my 5ver. I hope it lasts another 8 years...I just replaced both original batteries.

With diesel fuel very reasonable, I'm thinking of parking my MDX, which uses premium, and making it my daily vehicle.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

mastercraftka
Explorer
Explorer
Cycleman07 wrote:
No one can argue that the LBZ Duramax was the best year for the Duramax motor...However the creature comforts and new interiors and body styles of the 2015's are hard to beat. I pull a 12K pound fifth wheel with my 2015.5 Denali HD and it doesnt know its back there.

No arguments here, I just have a hard time spending more than half of what I spent on my first home on a truck. I might have bought my last new truck several years ago.
They are very nice however and yes lots more HP.
2016 Cypress 38BHR
2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevrolet Duramax

Cycleman07
Explorer
Explorer
No one can argue that the LBZ Duramax was the best year for the Duramax motor...However the creature comforts and new interiors and body styles of the 2015's are hard to beat. I pull a 12K pound fifth wheel with my 2015.5 Denali HD and it doesnt know its back there.

mastercraftka
Explorer
Explorer
mrbarkley wrote:
We have a 2006 3500 4WD CC DRW LT Chevy with the LBZ Alison 6 spd combo. It had 90K on it when purchased in 2010. The current mileage is 207,000. We are fulltimers and spend May to Oct. in West Yellowstone, MT. from there we visit family in Superior,WI and then on to Florida for the winter. We will be making this trip for the 6th time in late April towing our 37' 17,000lb 5th wheel. It averages 11 MPG towing and 17MPG empty. The injectors were replaced at 201,000 miles. Other that that it has been a very reliable and capable vehicle. By the way I sold both Chevy and GMC trucks for 15 years and this is the model I sought out for my own personal use.

I am on my 3rd Duramax! With that said I had the first year model ever and loved it should have never traded it in on my 07 (not classic). That year there were two models two engines one was a fuel HOG! Plus thats when diesel fuel went through the roof and has really never recovered compared to gas.
Ok now I have an 11 LML and love its look and the power that it brings but the emissions **** is a kick in the you know whats. It is not the cost of the DEF it is all the **** that goes along with it. I have had lots of problems replaced the tank, went round and round with GM. I have a 115k on it right now and I holding my breathe. I love it otherwise, I will delete the next time I have an issue.
Finally, if you can find a low mile 06 that would be the one to get IMO.
Good luck.
2016 Cypress 38BHR
2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevrolet Duramax

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Ill add on after browsing a few post everybody loves they're LBZ and so do i. 🙂 Bought it used (07) with 83k miles for 28k. This past weekend i towed for the first time with it a 19' toy hauler a lil over 5k lbs and man i couldnt be happier. So yes my vote is LBZ. I looked for this truck (bone stock) for a solid 2 years up and down california. 8th letter vin is "D" and the door badge says Allison/Duramax with Allison being blue lettering.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
'07.5 LMM here. Basically the same as the LBZ, but with the DPF and new body. I've had it since new and it has been an excellent truck. I traded my '04.5 LLY for it. I wanted a dually and the 6-speed Allison. I've replaced the alternator and several glow plugs, as well as brakes and rotors in the rear. That's about it. I do baby it as far as maintenance goes and I have a daily driver for work and other things. It only has 61,000 miles on it and just this week I replaced the original batteries. I've been real happy with it going on 9 years, and due to the cost of a new one, it's not going anywhere.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 06 LBZ. Have had some minor issues, but nothing out of line for a 10 year old truck with 156,000 miles. I did get caught in the few months of bad head gaskets, but luckily that was fixed by the extended warranty with the new style gaskets.

I looked at a new version of my truck the other day. Sure was nice inside, but sticker price was $61,000. I think i'll keep mine a while longer, lol.

And yes, I too get offers to buy it all the time. Just about anywhere you go where people know anything about diesels, the offers to buy it start coming in!!!
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coming into this RV game with zero knowledge about US trucks or their engines we got extremely lucky.

We have a 2006 6.6L 6 speed. Bought it at 6 months old with only 16,000 on it. 170,000 miles on it now & it has been about flawless. It has a bad glowplug but I don't care. Don't drive in cold weather. It is a bone stock 2WD dually crewcab longbed dually. It has done some serious pulling. MD to AK 3 times. MD to West Coast 3 times but maintenance wise it is one pampered truck.

Never been to a GM dealership but have a great smalltown garage with a great reputation that gets more or less a blank sheet every spring to go through everything. If in doubt, replace. I treat it like I treat my boats.

Had a weak moment a couple years ago thinking it might be time to replace but concensus here on RV.NET was keep it. As confirmed above it is one of the great model years. Like the looks of the 2006 better than the new ones too.

It is off to Newfoundland in June.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Old Duck wrote:
I'm with BigSkyFamily except my LB7 is an 02. Knock on wood, no injector issues yet with the stock ones. Even knowing I'll put some $$ in the injectors one of these days, it's a great truck and just getting broke in with 104,000 on her.

Same here. I'm just over 93k, though the =truck= is old. Needs paint, plastic, new leather on the front seats and a few interior parts that have started breaking. D@mn AZ heat!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
I did a lot of research and looking and found our 06 crew Lt with 175,000 miles 4 years ago for 14,000. Spent a 1000 on body work and small stuff and now has 235,000 and still running strong. Gets 13 towing our 28 ft fiver and 20 empty. Best vehicle purchase I have ever made. Will likely be my last truck.

ron4750
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 1/2 LMM and would not trade for and older one. If I could afford a new one I would buy one.
Ron

mrbarkley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 3500 4WD CC DRW LT Chevy with the LBZ Alison 6 spd combo. It had 90K on it when purchased in 2010. The current mileage is 207,000. We are fulltimers and spend May to Oct. in West Yellowstone, MT. from there we visit family in Superior,WI and then on to Florida for the winter. We will be making this trip for the 6th time in late April towing our 37' 17,000lb 5th wheel. It averages 11 MPG towing and 17MPG empty. The injectors were replaced at 201,000 miles. Other that that it has been a very reliable and capable vehicle. By the way I sold both Chevy and GMC trucks for 15 years and this is the model I sought out for my own personal use.

wagon_b0y
Explorer
Explorer
Depend on what your budget is, look into a 11+ duramax. They have bigger brakes, stronger frame, bigger hubs and wheel bearings. Comes with a built in exhaust brake. The the LML motor has more power than previous years. It has over 100ft/lbs more torque than the older ones.

Downside is the emissions unless you delete it. 😉