cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bigfoot Leveling System Problems

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
Over the past 3 years, water has gotten into my two rear jack reservoirs, displacing the hydraulic fluid. It just cost me well over $500 to have them purged and and refilled with fluid.

The repairing facility couldn't tell me how water could have gotten into the reservoirs. I called the manufacturer; they couldn't shed any light on the situation either.

Have any of you folks with a Bigfoot leveling system experienced this problem? Do you have any ideas what could be causing this? Yes, we have hauled our fiver during rainstorms.

Note: There are factory-installed mud flaps behind the rear wheels (and in front of the jack systems) of my fifth-wheel; might they have anything to do with the problem?

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK
28 REPLIES 28

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We just had this problem too (after seeing and responding to this thread). One of our rear levelers would not deploy and the reservoir contained pink fluid. We were able to fix it ourselves with a few parts-a funnel with a long tube and a manual pump used to remove oil from outboard motors. We called Quadra a couple of times for advice because we also needed to purge air from the hydraulic lines since we removed and drained them. It was a easy but messy repair and with the reusable pump and funnel plus the ATF fluid and shop supplies we spent about $75. We had to flush the reservoir about 4 times to get out all the contaminated fluid. It really is helpful if you have a person assisting you.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked ours to see if the fluid had any water, all looks great. I see we have the blue reservoir caps, we did install mud flaps when we first bought our rig, maybe it helps.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RECVEH2005 wrote:
Thanks, folks. At least I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

The rear reservoirs & pumps should have been designed with a more complete enclosure. To me their location right behind the trailer's rear wheels would make this obvious. I like the system otherwise, but this flaw will cause me to look for a different one on a future fiver.

Mike

Is there any room to move the pump; even to having to get longer hoses?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
RECVEH2005 wrote:

The rear reservoirs & pumps should have been designed with a more complete enclosure. To me their location right behind the trailer's rear wheels would make this obvious. I like the system otherwise, but this flaw will cause me to look for a different one on a future fiver.

Mike

X2
Larry

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happens to me about once per year on a 2011 DA 300FK. I watched the technician closely the first time and I've fixed it myself several times since. It's a messy job but not too difficult. I write that as somebody who can just barely change the oil in his lawnmower.

The first time I asked BF, they sent "new and improved" tank caps. No help. Later they told me to add mud flaps. It's happened once since.

I stop at NuWa in Chanute once a year for PM, repairs and upgrades. They had no suggestions.

I think the driving road spray seeps in through the vent hole. PM me if you want details about how I've fixed it. No need to flush the whole system. The water and fluid mix to form gunk that resembles Vaseline which clogs the intake screen. I've fixed it by cleaning the screen and tank then adding fresh fluid.
Larry

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2011 Cameo and for the last 2 1/2 year a 2014 Lifestyle with the Bigfoot. Have had no problems with either. I remember on our Cameo, Big Foot sent us new reservoir caps. It came with red ones and they sent us new blue caps. Maybe the caps are not sealing properly? Good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is also a 2011 Cameo and no problem whatsoever. I have had it checked where U get all my service, everything was always fine.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest to those who havent had any problems to check their fluid. Pink is not your friend in this case.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
We've not had any problems with our 2011 rig and we put lots of miles on each year. We toured the factory when our fiver was being built and I saw that they (Carriage-Cameo) assembled all the parts for the Big Foot system. Is it possible that HitchHiker could have also done the assembly? Check with them to see if they had any problems.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
The water can only get in between the reservoir and the pump housing or the vent hole in the fill cap. There is an O ring but the plastic res often distorts oil out and water in. I have resorted to wrapping with Walmart bags. Havent checked this trip.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
No problems here either but I would give the reservoir a check as it is only plastic. Purging is easy and only uses Dexron III transmission fluid, I would learn to do it myself.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
No problems on our 2011 with the same stuff.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same brand with the same mud flaps and have not had any issues with our BigFoot and water intrusion. Are you a member of the NuWa forum? Someone there might be able to shed light on your problem.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK