cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bikes falling off rear

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
Who has had a bike fall off from the back of their rig while driving?
My buddy was following a 5vr on the hiway and noticed the little kids bike starting to bounce around, so he backed off. Just then the bike came off and bounced on the tires up higher then the rig on its first bounce... creating havoc. No one was hurt.
Took him 3 miles to finally get the attention of the driver and told him.

I have always had my bikes on a pinbox mounted bike rack...my new rig (that's on order) won't have the room for the rack on the pinbox and I'm going to have to put the bike rack in the factory mounted receiver at the back.

I guess ratchet strap the bikes to the bike rack??
Any pointers...I'm not liking the idea of not being able to see them.
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar
25 REPLIES 25

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, seen it never done it because I never put them back there..

My best friend lost his approximately 35 minutes down the road from me telling him how much they were bouncing.. His response was "I got bungies holding them on".. Ummm... for those of you that use BUNGY CORDS you do know they are made of rubber and will do NOTHING to stop the bouncing, right?

At the very least, use straps that don't stretch and will tame down the bounce.

IMO, it will never happen on my trailer.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Thule T2 in my trailer's rear receiver hitch without issue. However since it's not approved for trailer use, I run a bike lock cable through all tires and frames then secure it to the hitch.

Should I have a failure I'm hoping I'll just be dragging the bikes behind the trailer and not creating a serious road hazard.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
add to the support for your recever. attach to the frame a good three feet forward of the bumper mounting.
think torque on said mount. this will cut such stresses.

but on my fifth I can tow a auto trailer with my fulley loaded jeep on it.
very special custom build setup.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I had the rear bumper cut off my Komfort, and a heavier tube welded on. Put a 2" receiver on the new bumper specifically for a bike rack. Haven't used it yet, and likely won't, as the FW's up for sale. 😞 If I =did= use it, I'd certainly try it out first and have someone follow me to see how it worked. I'd thought about bungees or ratchet straps to the top rack to proved extra support and/or cushioning if needed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

D2Wilsn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rear bike rack also. We had a set of bikes bounce off and lost them. By the time we rounded the block, they were gone. We bought new bikes. We now use heavy duty velcro around the tires, strapped to the rack, and then using the heavy duty straps around them and they have never moved.
Dale & Debbie
2005 4x4 GMC 2500 HD, Duramax w/Banks Power Pack, Banks Speed Brake, P2 Trailer Brake
2010 Heartland Sundance 3200 RE, w/2 air conditioners, electric rear jacks, fireplace, 16" wheels w/6,000 lb axles
2 spoiled Papillion dogs, Katie & Molly

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Few bother to read their bike rack manual....DO NOT USE ON A TRAILER OR RV.

Very few bike rack OEM's give the OK for trailers and RV's, those that do generally state that its ok, but they will not honor any warranty.

Swagman is one such rack that allows trailer/RV use, and I own two of them. No problems so far, but none of our out of state trips include bikes on the back. They go in the camper for long distance travel.

Front hitches are a great option as well, I used one on our previous TV and had zero issues. There is speculation that these interfere with cooling and whatever...with no facts or actual issues encountered.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do " Dealer Trades" for our local Chevy dealer. on one trip I was bringing back a new Chevy 2500 HD diesel for the dealer. Driving north on I 75 I was behind a pop up with several bikes on some sort of carrier. All of a sudden there were bikes bouncing all over the interstate. I was dodging and weaving, didn't recall any strange sounds, but got off at a rest stop that was just a mile up the road. Somehow there was no damage to the new truck. Sure glad I didn't have to explain how I brought in a new truck with a bike embedded in the grill.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `bike rack' to see what has already been discussed.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
I have three heavy Velcro straps specifically for bikes. I bought them from Amazon. I end up using the straps from the bike rack, the extra straps from Amazon, and the bike lock cable. I DON'T WANT THEM COMING OFF!
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
thedoghouse wrote:

What's different on the new fiver that makes mounting bikes on pinbox a problem?

The front cap sticks out farther over top of the pin box, which would make the rack closer to the back window of the truck.
The bike wheels will hit the window when turning
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We carry two bikes on a Swagman rack mounted in the receiver. The hitch bar has a threaded bolt through it instead of a pin which makes a solid mount.

Been Chicago to Tucson at least six times. One trip was Chicago,to Tucson, then to Tampa, then to upstate NY, then through Ontario back to Chicago. Never had a problem.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
klassic wrote:
Who has had a bike fall off from the back of their rig while driving?
My buddy was following a 5vr on the hiway and noticed the little kids bike starting to bounce around, so he backed off. Just then the bike came off and bounced on the tires up higher then the rig on its first bounce... creating havoc. No one was hurt.
Took him 3 miles to finally get the attention of the driver and told him.

I have always had my bikes on a pinbox mounted bike rack...my new rig (that's on order) won't have the room for the rack on the pinbox and I'm going to have to put the bike rack in the factory mounted receiver at the back.

I guess ratchet strap the bikes to the bike rack??
Any pointers...I'm not liking the idea of not being able to see them.

What's different on the new fiver that makes mounting bikes on pinbox a problem?
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
diftw wrote:
Anyone using a bike rack that attached to the front of the truck?

I have Curt front mount hitch with a Swagman XC bike rack. Rock solid with no wiggling and I have my eye on them at all times. Once at the campground I can fold up the rack and leave on the truck or it takes about 1 minute to remove it completely.

No cooling issues nor visibility issues. Have never driven at night but the bikes do not block my headlights. Simple install and well worth the money.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if different suspension types and air ride pin boxes have any calming effect at the back
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar