cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Birds and Trailer Hitch

josten367
Explorer
Explorer
Right now it's the time of year that birds build nest and lay eggs. Every year I have to remove the bird nest from under the FW hitch and tongue. Does anyone have any idea's to keep this from happening or putting something under there to keep them from building nest?
2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel
31 REPLIES 31

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what it is about Mylar the birds don't like? Just curious.

After a little research I found Mylar Reflective Tape this. Bird B Gone.

It's simply the shiny/reflection they don't like. And it appears that after short order the tape looses it's shiny from the sun (UV) and it renders it useless. Just sayin'.
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Mylar balloon, cut it into strips and tape the strips near the pin box.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Exterminator companies have a caulk type product that they say you only need a couple in strip inside the hitch somewhere and that keeps the birds out.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
crabbin cabin wrote:
WE used wadded-up newspaper in the pin box.
BTW - once they are in there it is against federal law to disturb them! You must wait until they eggs hatch and all leave! Just so you know - big brother may be watching!!
Oh man! No wonder all those black helicopters have been flying over my house...federal law, you mean those dirty Grackles are a federally protected species, really???

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
5ertime wrote:
So far a CD on fishing line, dangling in front of opening is working

Looks like the: quickest, cheapest, and easiest suggestion so far!

Maybe an old Frank Zappa CD would increase scare potential..:W

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
There so many good and easy recommendations here. We had a Junco build a nest in our hitch too. They build a big nest for such a little bird. I threw a couple of aluminum disposable pans inside the hitch. It must be the shiny they don't like. Keeps the birds out. I take them out when we travel. rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Found an Oregon Junco nest in mine. I waited till they fledged and pulled it out. Two weeks later I walked past and found they had built another one, four more chicks!
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

flintrv
Explorer
Explorer
I sealed it off.. Here is the video on how I did it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt9OmHEgQw

Thanks and God Bless

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Trash bag filled with wadded up newspaper - stuff it in the pin box when you're parked.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Door Screen attached with velcrow, provide a quick attachment and removal, but make sure these birds are not migratory birds and if you remove them you are breaking the law and is subject to fines and jail time, the migratory bird act is more severe than the endangered species act. so be careful.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
hammer21661 wrote:
I also have another bird attacking my truck. that is another story.

We have problems with Robins trying to mate with the side mirrors right now. They******all over the place, peck at the mirrors scratching them, and tracking their******all over the car. My solution is going to be survival of the fittest here really soon. They are doing thousands of dollars in damage to the cars on our lot, and the insurance company wont do a thing about it. We called the DNR and they told us it was nature calling and would not interfere.

Mine is an all red bird. I had to fold the mirrors in and he still works over the hub caps in the duals. I also had to put a piece of cardboard over the hitch mirror on the fuzion.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
hammer21661 wrote:
I also have another bird attacking my truck. that is another story.

We have problems with Robins trying to mate with the side mirrors right now. They******all over the place, peck at the mirrors scratching them, and tracking their******all over the car. My solution is going to be survival of the fittest here really soon. They are doing thousands of dollars in damage to the cars on our lot, and the insurance company wont do a thing about it. We called the DNR and they told us it was nature calling and would not interfere.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Michael's and bought a peace of green foam 3" thick 24"x24" cut it to fit snug and block the hole backside.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
I read this about an hour ago and decided to check in the dark after I played with the tuner in the truck. I stuck my arm in the pinbox and I almost had a heart attack when i felt a piece of grass or whatever and the bird shot out. of course my arm came out quickly and I ripped the skin off the back of my hand. When I can see tomorrow I will be doing an eviction. I also have another bird attacking my truck. that is another story.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.