cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blown tire collision or comprehensive

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tire blow out and i have geico insurance. The blowout caused damage to the camper because i had to get off the bay bridge before i could pull over. I have been told that i am at fault and this will be a collision claim. I told them if I am at fault for a tire blowing (which the air pressure was checked before the trip and brakes and tires were serviced less than a year ago) then they can call me Jesus Christ for now on. How can this not be a comprehensive claim it is an act of god. Anyways they are reviewing the claim again because i told them if i am at fault cancel all my policies.
59 REPLIES 59

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
I used to be a claim adjuster and I would have definitely coded this as a comp claim. You should fight it because a collision claim can increase your premiums. Get a supervisor.

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I think we need to hear the rest of the story. Was the damage caused when the tire blew out? In other words the tire exploded and damaged the trailer. Or, did the tire blow out and you made the decision to keep driving because you were on the bridge and hit something? If you told them you kept driving to get off the bridge and then hit something, I can see how the claim rep may have concluded it was a collision claim. I am a retired Director of Claims and if the tire caused the damage to the unit and you did not run into anything, then it is a comprehensive claim. Even if the tire caused you to loose control and that can be verified it should be a comprehensive claim. Ask to speak with the claim reps manager. The rep might be a trainee. I did not work for Geico, but they are a good company. Each state has an Insurance Department that will assist you as well, but I am sure if you go to the supervisor you will be taken care of.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
If it was a Good Year tire less than 5yrs old they will pay for repairs and new tire,
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

chipper
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a defective tire to me & tire mfg should pay for damage.
gene

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
In KY hitting a tree or guard rail is a collision. Hitting a deer is comp claim so we are told to never hit a tree trying to miss a deer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
"A collision is an isolated event in which two or more moving bodies (colliding bodies) exert forces on each other for a relatively short time."

Which two bodies were involved? Ask 'em!

Wrong, there are single vehicle accidents all the time. Car slides and hits guard rail or tree.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Each state has slighty different twist to insurance laws and regulations. Most definitely comp in MI. Fight it all you can. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
I think the second moving object would have to be something other than your vehicle.

Do you insure the tire with one policy and the vehicle with another? I think I would fight it and immediately shop new insurance carriers once the claim is paid.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
BuckBarker wrote:
"A collision is an isolated event in which two or more moving bodies (colliding bodies) exert forces on each other for a relatively short time."

Tire and the road
Tire and the body
Tire and the rim

Take your pick...it's a collision.....Dennis

BRILLIANT! JUST BRILLIANT! It may be a moving incident but it is no collision.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A blowout is covered under you comp. coverage - as mine was.

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
yes it does matter because if it is defined as collision it, they can and will raise premiums. If it is comprehensive they can not raise premiums, and tire to the road is not a collision the tire was where it was suppose to be on the road.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
BuckBarker wrote:

Tire and the road
Tire and the body
Tire and the rim

Take your pick...it's a collision.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Does it really matter as long as they pay the claim? I don't have any deductables on either my comp or collision with my disappearing deductables.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

SuperdutyII
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect Geico is trying to abdicate their responsibilities.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer