cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Break away switch cable

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious where everyone hooks their breakaway cable while towing. I usually hook mine to the release lever on my hitch but it does seem like enough. If the trailer ever becomes disconnected, it won't pull the cable far enough to engage the trailer brakes.
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH Fiver "No Worries II"
2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7L PSD, CC, DRW, Lariat "Mistress II"
Ford 26.5k fifth wheel hitch
38 REPLIES 38

robwhite61
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
Hook mine onto the aft hitch rails at the bed.

X2 or 3
2001 Ford F-350 DRW, 7.3L Turbo Charged
2013 Heartland Prowler 31 PRET

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
djgarcia wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
Those switches are quite inexpensive and easily replaceable by just about anybody. If however you are unable to do so, I would just disconnect the battery and tow the vehicle to the repair shop. By doing that the emergency breakaway will not be functionable so drive very carefully.

May not be legal but that is what I would do - depending on how far away the repair shop was and whether travel on high speed highways was necessary.
Barney

Would that be the same as using the "battery switch" knob and just turning it off like you do when you put the 5th wheel into storage for the winter??

Probably not. That battery disconnect switch is usually for the house batteries but the breakaway is most likely wired directly to the battery and would not be affected by that switch.
I guess it kind of depends on how the switch is wired. You should be able to take a look and see where the breakaway wire goes.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
I had a "brake away switch" stolen from my 5th wheel while we were away from the RV Park. What is the recommended way to disengage the brake away switch so I can unlock the brakes on the trailer so I can move the trailer and get it into the shop to replace the "Brake away switch"??????

That is a sorry story. Who ever stole it probably really needed it, and could not afford the $10 bucks to buy a new one. Since I have had a previous problem with mine, it developed a short and the plastic casing bubbled, I now carry a spare, so if it ever does fail again, I won't be caught in the middle of nowhere.

I really think it was some kids just screwing around in the park who were just intrigued by the brake wire hanging down. I did exactly as you suggested and bought 2 to carry one as a spare:)

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
djgarcia wrote:
I had a "brake away switch" stolen from my 5th wheel while we were away from the RV Park. What is the recommended way to disengage the brake away switch so I can unlock the brakes on the trailer so I can move the trailer and get it into the shop to replace the "Brake away switch"??????

That is a sorry story. Who ever stole it probably really needed it, and could not afford the $10 bucks to buy a new one. Since I have had a previous problem with mine, it developed a short and the plastic casing bubbled, I now carry a spare, so if it ever does fail again, I won't be caught in the middle of nowhere.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
It happen to me that the cable come unhook and I was stuck on 290 coming from a side street.I block the traffic for one hour the police came but they don't know what was wrong.I didn't know at that time what was wrong ether ,until I find out by myself I was new in the RV at that time .Some time you need to find out the hard way.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Hook mine onto the aft hitch rails at the bed.

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
I use a padlock to lock the hitch handle in the closed position when I am hooked up and I put the loop of the breakaway cable onto the shank of the padlock before I put it into the hitch handle.

My wife's uncle who we travel with often had some "funny" guy pull his hitch release several years ago while parked causing him to drop his trailer onto the bedrails of his truck. I have been using a lock on my hitch ever since to avoid this type of vandalism.

I do the same, "Pranking" is now a ridiculous fad.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I use a padlock to lock the hitch handle in the closed position when I am hooked up and I put the loop of the breakaway cable onto the shank of the padlock before I put it into the hitch handle.

My wife's uncle who we travel with often had some "funny" guy pull his hitch release several years ago while parked causing him to drop his trailer onto the bedrails of his truck. I have been using a lock on my hitch ever since to avoid this type of vandalism.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Those switches are quite inexpensive and easily replaceable by just about anybody. If however you are unable to do so, I would just disconnect the battery and tow the vehicle to the repair shop. By doing that the emergency breakaway will not be functionable so drive very carefully.

May not be legal but that is what I would do - depending on how far away the repair shop was and whether travel on high speed highways was necessary.
Barney

Would that be the same as using the "battery switch" knob and just turning it off like you do when you put the 5th wheel into storage for the winter??

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a caribiner on the loop end and latch it to a part of the hitch. Wow, I can't believe someone stole the end of a breakaway switch.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III

May not be legal but that is what I would do - depending on how far away the repair shop was and whether travel on high speed highways was necessary. Actually, if there has been some time between when the theft was discovered and now, the battery may be dead already and the brakes not locked on.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! On the handle it will stay!! Just thought there might be a better location.
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH Fiver "No Worries II"
2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7L PSD, CC, DRW, Lariat "Mistress II"
Ford 26.5k fifth wheel hitch

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Looped end of cable goes on handle of 5th wheel hitch.

X3 On the handle.

Dan

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Looped end of cable goes on handle of 5th wheel hitch.

I also hook my looped end on the handle of the 5th. wheel hitch. I also cut a piece of clear plastic tubing so it would cover about 3/4 of the cable. This prevents the cable from getting stuck between the truck bed hitch and truck bed.