cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Spring

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this question on a NuWa owners' forum but am also posting it here in the hopes of getting as much advice as possible.

While doing my beginning-of-the-season greasing of suspension fittings on my HitchHiker 26.5RLBG, I noticed a broken spring leaf on the curb-side rear axle. The spring pack is 4-leaf and the broken leaf is number 2 from the bottom. Number 3 leaf looks like it may have an incipient crack in it also, and number 4 isn't looking real happy either. So, time to replace BOTH packs on the rear axle.

My question to all of you is, can I replace the 4-leaf packs with 5-leak packs (if available), on the rear axle only, at this time without goofing up anything else? The ride height would only be maybe 5/16" higher (or whatever is the thickness of the additional leaf) on the rear axle. Later this year I can put springs on the front axle to match the rear.

Seems to me the minimal difference in height shouldn't matter in the short term, but this is my first tandem-axle trailer and I don't know for sure.

Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted. Thanks.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B
25 REPLIES 25

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV builders are notorious for building to minimum spec. Preventative maintenance is always much cheaper than fixing something after getting a tow.

With that mindset I upgraded my 6 leaf spring packs to 7 leaf. 8 leaf would be too stiff.

Stock may be OK for the weekend warrior making short trips to the local CG but for the long distance traveler confidence in what you are riding on is priceless.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I'm with ScottG on this.... For a nominal fee , you could have piece of mind knowing they are all new... Not worrying if the others will fail would get the best of me

X1, I would also suggest he replace all the bushings as well. If a spring breaks and forces tires together, you have to have a large flat bed trailer to wench up the trailer. Happened twice, the towing cost was $1200 to tow me 40 miles to the nearest repair facility:(:(

I agree that now is the time to replace all four springs with 5 leaf springs and rebuild your spring shackles while everything is apart.
Don't skimp on u-bolts either, replace all of them and even go up a diameter size on them as well. All the above mentioned parts are quite reasonably priced and well worth the effort to replace.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
+1 to replace all four. May as well get the wet bolt kit while you have it off. Yes go up one rating level. That might add a leaf or different steel just get the rating. I went from 3500 (pair) to ~4000 and it rides better than ever.

Springs are not that expensive. http://www.stengelbros.com/UtilitySprings.htm

This..on last 5er I had, I replaced all four 3500# spring pack's with 4K spring packs, went to MorRyde suspension and replaced old shocks with Monroe severe duty shocks and that took care of all of it..no wondering or worrying,
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Last May I posted my report of finding some broken springs on my HitchHiker II. Thanks to the recommendations I received, I upgraded the springs from 4-leaf to 6-leaf packs, thereby gaining an extra 500 pounds of spring capacity each. In doing this repair I discovered that three of the splined bolts attaching the shackles would twist in their holes. The holes did not appear out-of-round however. After evaluating the situation I determined that I just needed to keep the new wet bolts stationary in their holes. Having a bit of scrap 2" x 1/4" steel flat bar on hand, I proceeded to make some "holding forks" to keep the bolts from turning. I cut slots in the flat bar and filed them to a close sliding fit to the bolt heads, then secured them in place using existing holes in the shackle attachment hangers. My wife and I then departed on a couple of vacations. i am happy to report that, after 6000 miles of towing over all types of roads in the U.S. and Canada, the shackles, bolts, securing forks, and springs are all in great shape. Nothing came loose of shifted position. Perhaps my experience will be of benefit to someone else.

Here is a picture of my "holding fork"

There is a bit more to this story. After putting everything back together with the new wet bolts I went about greasing them all. There was one bolt that just would not take any grease no matter how hard I tried nor what colorful invectives I used. Turned out that the center hole in the bolt was not drilled all the way through to meet the weep hole. A quick call to the parts supplier got me an apology and 2 new bolts in the mail. Since my departure schedule wouldn't allow me to wait for the mail to deliver the replacements, I just finished drilled the hole. I used a cobalt bit since the bolt is a grade 5. After cleaning out the chips I squirted some grease in it (just to make sure) then reinstalled it. A couple more shots of grease and the job was done and we were able to leave on time.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frame builders are notorious for building to minimum spec. Upped our springs from a 6 to a 7 stack. We ride with peace of mind now. Riding on underrated springs is not on the worry list.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Old Biscuit, I think you have the big brother to my trailer.

Well, I have the "twin brother" to Old Biscuit's trailer! Same year, same model, and I have done the same thing he has: replaced all four with 4000# rated springs. (see my post on the NuWa forum.)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Passin' Through wrote:
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will be replacing all four spring sets.

Old Biscuit, I think you have the big brother to my trailer. My axles are 6000# and the springs are probably just borderline capable of supporting that weight. They were made offshore in the same country that supplies Harbor Freight stores. I want to get U.S.A.-made springs if at all possible.

Thanks again to everyone.

Steel probably will come from China anyway... 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will be replacing all four spring sets.

Old Biscuit, I think you have the big brother to my trailer. My axles are 6000# and the springs are probably just borderline capable of supporting that weight. They were made offshore in the same country that supplies Harbor Freight stores. I want to get U.S.A.-made springs if at all possible.

Thanks again to everyone.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I have a 2007 HitchHiker

7K axles........spring pack went 'flat' (CAT scale......10,800# on axles)

Spring shop in Casper Wy pulled springs.......according to their info the springs were 3200# vs 3500#

They had 6 leaf 4000# spring packs for $60/ea
I replaced all four spring packs

This is what I would do. I am not a "spring expert" but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express many times!:W
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I will jump on the band wagon here and would replace them all.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2007 HitchHiker

7K axles........spring pack went 'flat' (CAT scale......10,800# on axles)

Spring shop in Casper Wy pulled springs.......according to their info the springs were 3200# vs 3500#

They had 6 leaf 4000# spring packs for $60/ea
I replaced all four spring packs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tsetsaf wrote:
On a side note there is a product called Axle Crutch that can be used to get home with a broken spring.Www.axlecrutch.com

Now everyone's going to pile on and say how that other tire was massively overloaded and it'll probably fail, even if you limp down the road at 35 mph, just to get to the next exit. 🙂 Peacorn, popnuts, sody water and chewing gum!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Heavier springs will sit higher than just the thickness of the extra leafs because they will not compress as much under the same load.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a side note there is a product called Axle Crutch that can be used to get home with a broken spring.Www.axlecrutch.com
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"