cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built in or Portable Gen for a pull behind Toy Hauler

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a new pull behind toyhauler and now need to decide on a generator. My TH has a generator storage area and and is prewired (including the remote start panel ) for an Onan. i would love the convienence of just pushing a button to cool down my unit on road trips ( ie for dog while stopping ). On the other hand I have read that the built ins vibrate the TH and a portable is better. I have a 15K BTU AC so I am not sure what size Onan I would need? Gas or Propane? If gas what do I do about a tank as I do not have a fueling station? What is the noise diff between an Onan built in and a Champion 3100? What is the general consensus on the subject?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
13 REPLIES 13

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all - went with a champion 3100 portable - I can keep it in the bed of my truck and it was only $750. I couldn't justify $4K for a built in. The good news is that the gen storage area is great for storing hoses , cords, tools, etc..
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Our TH has the Onan 4k mounted right under the master bed. Only time I can feel any vibration is when laying down going to sleep. Then the noise and vibration is just enough that I sleep like a baby. If the camper is quiet, of course you can feel and hear the generator. As soon as radio or TV is on it doesn't bother you at all. I love the built in generator. We travel a lot in hot areas. Being able to start the AC an hour before we get to destination is awesome. I have a 30 gallon fuel station, and it burns 1/2 gallon an hour with the AC on.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled "Onan 4000 Micro Quiet noise and vibration". Turns out the Onan 4000 is not an inverter type generator and runs at 3600 rpm all the time. Some say the noisiest part is the cooling fan, more so than the exhaust. Some say the vibration and noise inside the RV is dependent on the vibration isolation mounting and the noise insulation in the generator compartment provided by the RV manufacturer. The Onan 5500 runs a little more slowly at 2400 rpm. The portable inverter generators will run at a speed proportional to the electrical load.

I'd say built-in for convenience and portable inverter generator for the most comfy and quiet campsite experience. Can't have it all, I suppose.

I couldn't find a toy hauler with a built-in generator that would meet my floor plan (front bed, three dirt bike capacity) and weight (1600 lb. tow vehicle payload) requirements. I had to go with the portables.

Some of these might help.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think I have ever seen a TH that was generator ready that did not have a fuel station. I like my 4k Onan for stops on the road, hit the button and you have power with nothing to drag out or put away. I would not have a TH without a built-in Onan. I believe in the K.I.S.S. method.

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a built in Onan 3600 propane fired generator for 10 years. I also have had the portable construction grade generators like the Champion. The Champion and other non-rv or quiet type generators make a lot of noise. Also they tend to be heavy. I have not owned one of the Honda so I can not say much about them other than theft would be my biggest worry. The after marker has a lot of key fobs, tanks, remote start, etc.

When hurricane Gustov hit the area where I live, I had three 100 pound cylinders of propane, a 12 foot long hose with a male Acme and a female Acme fitting at each end. For the 100 pound tanks, I had a POL fitting with a male Acme fitting to connect to the trailer. I ran the genny 24/7 except when 100 hours came up and then I would stop it to change the oil. Finding gasoline was next to impossible. You could find the 20 lbs. tanks just about everywhere.

Propane does not gum up the carberator like E-85 and lesser grades of gasoline do if left it in the carb a long time. Yes, I am aware of the additives that you add to keep the gas from going bad.

There are two schools of thought and what you want out of the generator setup should decide what you need. Starting the built in generator and allowing it to run the ac is one option. Look at everything and see what fits.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
with no fuel tank the choice is clear IMHO, go portable, especially now that they have wireless remote start. I bought a 3000 watt Champion portable that is nearly as quiet as a Honda for 999.00. It has remote start and works great, have not tried to run the A/C with it though.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both styles and I prefer the built in Onan. It would be easier to run while traveling so that you could run the AC so that the trailer will be cool when you stop. With out a fuel station it would be easier to go with propane and you could always go to larger propane tanks on your trailer if needed.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered an Onan installed in our 5th wheel and it was great. When it was about 10 years old it broke. We were on a trip with lots of boondocking so we went to the nearest Honda Power Equipment dealer and bought 2 Honda 2000i generators with the parallel Kit. Total about $1800 versus $4000 to replace the Onan.

Although it was convenient to have the remote start with the Onan, having to manually start the Hondas hasn't been a real problem. Now There are portables with remote start using a key fob.

Here's what I like about the portables:
I can carry just one if we won't need air conditioning. Or carry the two if we will need air conditioning or other high draw electrical appliance.
I can use them away from the 5th wheel. I've used them at home when th power went out and was going to be out for 36 hours.
I've used them on a job site to power an electric jackhammer
I used them while tent camping at offroad races to run a TV and DVD player to entertain the pit crew with a movie while we sat around the campfire.
To run power tools while helping a friend to build a remote cabin
At the storage lot where we keep our 5th wheel to provide power for cleaning, repairs and maintenance.

The flexibility of the portables make them my choice. If buying today I would get one of the remote start portables. Here's a youtube of one in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JGt18fBVQ

Biggest problem is theft. You need to make sure the portables are locked up during the day with more than just a bicycle lock/chain/cable. You need something heavy duty. I use a 1 inch in diameter cable lock made for large motorcycles and a logging chain with a high strength pad lock. At night I lock the generators up in the cab of my truck. They both fit in the floor area of the front seat.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
If your gen seems too noisy, you haven't turned your music up loud enough yet.

We have the Onan 4k Micro Quiet in our hauler, but i cant hear it even running because of all the loud music at camp.

Am i deaf now?
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1996 Southwind with the original Onan 5500. It runs great and I can barely hear it running when I'm inside the RV.
There is no vibration.

dedmiston
If your gen seems too noisy, you haven't turned your music up loud enough yet.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you have the Onan 5500 you are good. They purr like a kitten. If you had the more common 4K "MicroQuiet" you would be singing a different tune. They are rattle buckets.

The convenience is nice but I will NEVER buy another trailer with an Onan 4K built in.

OP since you don't have a fuel station to tap into I think your best bet would be to go portable. Dual Honda EU2000 models in parallel will power your AC just fine. My brother ran this setup on his old trailer and its quiet. Just have to deal with lugging them around and securing them so as to not get stolen. He sold them when he bought his new trailer with Onan 4K built in and is kind of regretting it.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have the built-in Onan in our Fuzion toyhauler. I don't know where you heard that they vibrate the toyhauler, but you heard wrong. You can't tell ours is running unless you listen for the exhaust noise.

I can't compare portable to built-in, but a portable will certainly be much cheaper. I believe that a Onan 5500, which is what we have, will run up around $4000 if you just go out and buy one. I think the portables are around $800 or so, maybe more for the Honda's and Yamaha's. Which are the preferred brands due to reliability and noise concerns.

The choice between propane and gas would depend on how much you plan on using it. My understanding is that a propane will go through a lot of fuel if used constantly, more than a gasoline powered one would. OTOH if you don't use it much propane is much less hassle when only used occasionally.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"