cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumper Pull vs 5th Wheel

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
Getting closer to getting the Cyclone and got another question for the experts. Currently pulling a 32' Jayco that is probably closer to 35' including tounge im sure. What would be the equivalent for a 5th wheel as far as length. What I mean is, with a few feet of the 5th wheel hanging over the bed, how much longer a 5th wheel can you have and still have the similar turning ranger as the 35' bumper pull. Trying to see how much harder it will be to get in and out of places with this longer trailer but i figure it may not be as bad as im fearing since a good bit of the extra length will get over the bed instead of extending in the rear. Am I thinking right?
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King
28 REPLIES 28

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just pull the pins in the rails and lift it with the landing gear and leave the hitch hanging on the trailer. I have a cclb and wouldn't have anything less for towing. Best part is I have the pin 4" ahead of axle center line that makes the ride and wgt distribution just right.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

WGLASSJR
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both FW & TT The FW tows and turns nicer than a tt in my opinion the problem for me is I like a crew cab truck and I use my truck not just for towing. If you have a FW you should really have an 8ft box that makes for a long truck for parking say at walmart etc. You also loose the back bed for hauling anything else and the hitch is always in the road and I like a cap on the truck to keep things dry so my opinion its 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other. I now have a TT TH and love it. I tow with a crew cab 6.5 ft box with a tall fiberglass cap topper you can put a lot of stuff in the back of the truck! So it comes down to Apples or Oranges

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
steiny93 wrote:
the tracking will depend on the following
- hitch attach in relation to the rear axle of the tow vehicle (further behind the axle the better)
- distance between hitch attach and the axles on the trailer (shorter is better)

Not true with a pickup. Maybe with your tv. My hitch is 4" in frt of axle center line. Long bed and have wgt distributed really close. Have no issues turning.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

porknbeanr
Explorer
Explorer
rayford118 wrote:
Getting closer to getting the Cyclone and got another question for the experts. Currently pulling a 32' Jayco that is probably closer to 35' including tounge im sure. What would be the equivalent for a 5th wheel as far as length. What I mean is, with a few feet of the 5th wheel hanging over the bed, how much longer a 5th wheel can you have and still have the similar turning ranger as the 35' bumper pull. Trying to see how much harder it will be to get in and out of places with this longer trailer but i figure it may not be as bad as im fearing since a good bit of the extra length will get over the bed instead of extending in the rear. Am I thinking right?

Most of the new Fifth Wheels have a radiused front cap allowing for up 88 degree turns. You should be able to turn even tighter than your bumper tow. The problem comes with trying to "crab a three axel rig in a tight turn. It puts tremendous strain on the hubs of the front axel. With regard to interior living space, If you choose a model with a true separate garage, then keep in mind that a forty footer with a 12 foot garage for example, will net you 28' if living space.
2008 CYCLONE 4012
2008 F350 SUPER DUTY
2007 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER SXS
1999 CLUB CAR

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
the tracking will depend on the following
- hitch attach in relation to the rear axle of the tow vehicle (further behind the axle the better)
- distance between hitch attach and the axles on the trailer (shorter is better)
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
5er will track much better. measure the distance from truck bumper to frt axle on both trailers. The 5er will be a shorter distance thus tracking better than a tongue pull. I can take my 34' 5er where you can't put a 30' tongue pull.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We previously had a 32 foot TT and now have a 35' FW. Backing it up, it's more responsive and much easier per DH. We're backing it in the same spot as the TT before. Overall we are actually shorter with the fifth wheel and that was with a short bed F250 towing the 32' TT compared to a long bed F350 towing a 35' FW. Id like to respond to the off topic subject interjected here regarding trouble finding campgrounds for longer lengths. Not so. We've fit in sites that on first glance looked short and ending up being able to fit in including the TV and without unhooking (for overnight stays). We boondock often and have no problem finding a spot for our rig too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
I would SOOOOOOOOOOO DRIVE THAT LOCALLY! I wonder about the stopping capabilities, but the "wow" factor is absolutely OFF the charts!! Not too many hills around this area.

I WANT THAT!!
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
thats pretty damn funny, lol
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Well.. IT'S ALLL IN THE TOWING VEHICLE as this video clearly illustrates. LOLOL! I would guess most of you have seen this? I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw this. Tight turns? NO PROBLEMO!

UNIQUE TOWING VEHICLE SHOWS OFF!

~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
One of the big differences between a bumper pull and a fiver is the tracking in turns. My 40' fiver can track so far in while turning into my driveway I had to widen my driveway by six feet to make the turn. Just make sure that you make wide turns compared to the bumper pull and you will be fine. Some campgrounds are a little tight but have not found one I have not been able to navigate.

how long was your BP compared to your FW. I figured a same length BP vs FW the FW would have a much better turning capability, or at least thats what Ive been told.

I have an 8ft bed. Just me guessing but i figured a 38-39' FW would be equivalent to my current BP since i figured 3-4' of the length of the cyclone will hang over the bed of the truck. If thats true then maybe my entire length will only grow by 2-4'. Again thats just my thinking, trying to get other peoples opinions with this.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
One of the big differences between a bumper pull and a fiver is the tracking in turns. My 40' fiver can track so far in while turning into my driveway I had to widen my driveway by six feet to make the turn. Just make sure that you make wide turns compared to the bumper pull and you will be fine. Some campgrounds are a little tight but have not found one I have not been able to navigate.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Up to 36ft should keep you under your current overall length if that is you goal. The 5th will turn better and if you have a short bed and an auto slide hitch it will turn tighter than the truck. Our 31ft unit has worked out real well as we mostly go to state parks.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
I think 35ft is longer than what I would want to pull, but there again I go to alot of off the beaten track places to camp. I just moved from a TT to a FW. Assuming you have a long box? Many campsites in the National Parks are already maxed out at 30ft or even less!