cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying FW

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My son wants a FW. He has a TT and carries his Honda Rancher quad in the back of his pick currently. I have read a lot on here about not over loading yet you see so many big FW on 3/4 ton trucks. He would want to tow his quad behind the FW on a small trailer. He has a 2011 2500 CC 8 ft box CTD. The door GVWR says 9600 lb yet the dealer told him 11,700 and 20,000 GCWR when giving them his vin. Dealer also said he has a 3.73 ratio so maybe that's why they are telling him 11,700 but I keep telling him dont buy anything yet because it says right on the door 9,600.

His yellow door jamb sticker says payload of 2130. As some of you have suggested at times, I told him to start by filling the tank and going to a scale. Without crunching all the numbers it appears that he needs something in the 7,800 dry range. He is thinking along the lines of abiding by all three weight criteria.

I told him not to get discouraged as it makes his head spin at times. Learn and figure it out so you have a good safe towing experience. Any suggestions will be helpful. We keep bouncing back and forth in our conversations because a larger TT would be an easy solution......but it's not a FW. You know how addictive and great FW are. Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. The shopping is on hold as his dog has been very sick and in and out of the vets office. He may have cancer. I talked to another guy with an 2007 Chevy 2500, he didn't remember his payload but said he was over on the axle and added air bags to level it up. He was pulling 11,500 gross Avalanche FW.

DW and I went into town on Friday afternoon and saw 6 FW all pulled by 3/4 ton. Not a scientific survey but many do seem to be pulled by 3/4. Of course this area at this time of year is more on the side of vacationers not full timers or snow birds.

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
if I were in his shoes I would be shopping for a toy hauler and skipping the 2nd trailer stuff. It would solve most of his problems.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Splashers3 wrote:
If possible, he could do what I did to increase my rear axle margin, which was creeping up to the limit. I bought wider tires and stronger wheels (wheels had to be wider as the LT265s would not fit on OEM wheels). No, I did not change axles...but the rear axle limit was based on the tire's capacity - and it's cheaper than a new truck (dually).

Now, this does not change the door jam listed limits, but in reality, it does give me more capacity....I have NOT increased my load by adding more items in the 5ver, but I have increased my margin.

Believe it or not the wider tires also give me a tad more stability - which I noticed right away.

Good "hunting"

My '02 D'max came with 265s installed on the stock aluminum rims, and I've stuck with them. Without looking, I believe it gives me an extra 900 lbs tire capacity, which just tops the rear axle capacity. With stock 245s, I was well under the RAWR.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjxj wrote:
My son wants a FW. He has a TT and carries his Honda Rancher quad in the back of his pick currently. I have read a lot on here about not over loading yet you see so many big FW on 3/4 ton trucks. He would want to tow his quad behind the FW on a small trailer. He has a 2011 2500 CC 8 ft box CTD. The door GVWR says 9600 lb yet the dealer told him 11,700 and 20,000 GCWR when giving them his vin. Dealer also said he has a 3.73 ratio so maybe that's why they are telling him 11,700 but I keep telling him dont buy anything yet because it says right on the door 9,600.

His yellow door jamb sticker says payload of 2130. As some of you have suggested at times, I told him to start by filling the tank and going to a scale. Without crunching all the numbers it appears that he needs something in the 7,800 dry range. He is thinking along the lines of abiding by all three weight criteria.

I told him not to get discouraged as it makes his head spin at times. Learn and figure it out so you have a good safe towing experience. Any suggestions will be helpful. We keep bouncing back and forth in our conversations because a larger TT would be an easy solution......but it's not a FW. You know how addictive and great FW are. Thank you.

I had an 06 2500 HD. Diesel. The sticker on door was about the same. 9600 lbs. i sent an email to GM with my vin number. I had the engineers verify how big a FW with a could tow as well as payload. My payload was just under 3000 lbs which includes all bodies inside truck. FW gross weight was 14400 lbs. My truck empty weighed out a little over 6600 lbs.
So the dealer may not be that far off.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, he could do what I did to increase my rear axle margin, which was creeping up to the limit. I bought wider tires and stronger wheels (wheels had to be wider as the LT265s would not fit on OEM wheels). No, I did not change axles...but the rear axle limit was based on the tire's capacity - and it's cheaper than a new truck (dually).

Now, this does not change the door jam listed limits, but in reality, it does give me more capacity....I have NOT increased my load by adding more items in the 5ver, but I have increased my margin.

Believe it or not the wider tires also give me a tad more stability - which I noticed right away.

Good "hunting"
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Some have been able to register their truck for more than the GVWR. At that point I believe your payload becomes limited by the tires, axle, or registration (whichever is less).

I've never done or tried this. Just throwing it out there for consideration.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the dealer may have been referring to the Max Trailer weight at 11,700, and 20,000 GCVW.
I tow an 11,000# 5er with a 2001,Ram 2500, yes over GVWR, but well within axle ratings and still under 20,000# CVW.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rjxj wrote:

Payload will be his biggest limiting factor. He'll need a smaller FW to stay within his limits. Also, double-towning needs to be LEGAL both where he lives and where he is most likely to travel to. Double are not legal in all states and, while many states might ignore him, many will not. Don't depend on anecdotes and "I've never been stopped" stories. Simplest solution is a toy hauler, IMO, especially if he's taking it every time he goes out.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your son has a very capable truck. However, like most 3/4 ton diesels, they are payload limited, due to the heavy diesel.

By the time you add people, gear, and hitch, there will not be a lot left for pin weight, and still be under 9,600 GVWR.

He will have to decide if he wants to stay under all ratings, or do like many, just stay under RAWR.

Towing a second trailer gets old too. I have done it for years, but it is an extra hassle, if you do it all the time. I just got back from a 1,000 mile trip, towing a second trailer 6' by 8', with two motorcycles on it. It tows nice behind my FW, but it is another thing to keep constant watch for.

He will love the FW towing experience, but may miss the use of the truck bed.

Jerry