cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying our first fifth wheel

Sammie1
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are looking to buy our first fifth wheel. Need all the help and advice we can get before we buy. What do we need to know? We heard length was an issue for getting into most parks so have decided to stay under 40 feet. Any tips will be appreciated!
23 REPLIES 23

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Private CGs.......not much of problem with length

But if you are planning on state/national forest CGs......35' can be a problem
And the biggest problem is negotiating thru CG due to narrow/windy roads around trees.

You can go either way....
Buy a big truck and then shop for 5vr that is within 'Ratings' of truck (payload, axle and tire load capability)
Buy 5vr and then get the truck rated to tow it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
Sammie1,

I would say pick the unit that you want and plan around it. If your total length is to much a lot of time you can un-hook and park the TV some place around the facility your at. Our rig is just under 44ft and have very seldom not been able to find a spot. There are a lot of Class A motorhomes that are 40-44 ft that many place can fit and your 40ft length shouldn't restrict you that much. Just make sure your tow vehicle is safe and rated to pull the weight of your rig.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

Sammie1
Explorer
Explorer
We just went to a show and saw many, however we were mainly looking at front living rooms until someone told us we had to watch our length if we wanted to stay at most parks. So now we are basically starting over. We have to buy a truck as well.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
First you need to determine how much weight you are comfortable towing. You will also have to be careful when you make your turns and lane changes. We have a 43 foot fiver and we have only had one or two campgrounds that could not support our fiver. We always call and ask for a pull thru, but I can back in if needed. Second, like the others have already mentioned,,, you need to get a truck with the right amount of pulling power. You will find out that a fiver does tow nicely. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to get.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
40 feet represents some of the largest fifth wheels on the market. You will need a very large truck = 1 ton dual wheels. Get the towing vehicle and then the fifth wheel. Shop, shop, read, research and get a floor plan you can live with.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If possible, go to a RV show so you can looks at lots of them at once. Then make a list of the things you really need (walk around bed, large shower, etc) in order to narrow it down.
Have fun shopping!

Scott

X2!
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If possible, go to a RV show so you can looks at lots of them at once. Then make a list of the things you really need (walk around bed, large shower, etc) in order to narrow it down.
Have fun shopping!

Scott

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very likely if you go with 40', you're in 350/3500 Dually class TV. Private parks for the most part aren't a problem, but some local/state/Fed parks can be a problem at that length.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, We just closed the deal on our first 5er. The first question would be, whats your tow vehicle?
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS