cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying kayaks with 5er's

ByTheRvr
Explorer
Explorer
We have been enjoying bumper hitch TT's for a few years now. I'm retired and she's close and we're thinking about extended travel trips; quasi full timing. We currently have a 1500 series pickup long bed, with cap, and we carry things like our Honda eu3000is generator in the back of the pickup and our 2 - 10' LL Bean kayaks on the reinforced cap roof. We are considering a trailer upgrade for our extended stay trips and have been looking at 5er's. The one's we've seen don't seem to have storage bays for our generator and we wonder if a switch would require leaving our kayaks behind. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

gailgold
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased and had installed on our fiver a vertical kayak/rack from these folks:

www.rvkayakrack.com

Can't say enough about how well it is built, and how well it works! We have hauled our kayaks and bikes all over the place, long and short trips, and love it.

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Our Hobie kayaks are about 10 ft. long and we use the Thule Hullavator on the roof of the truck. I have a couple of friends who have longer kayaks on the same rack. We just mount them forward so they so they don't kiss the front cap. I have a short bed. I also have inflatable Advanced Elements brand kayaks for times that I don't want to haul the heavier ones. The Hullavator rack has hydraulic arms that lower down the side of the vehicle so that you are only lifting them to your waist level.

">Kayaks on Truck
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
ByTheRvr wrote:

We will be upgrading our TV to a diesel when we upgrade our trailer and should consider a crew cab for extra inside storage and more options for a roof rack. It looks as though our 10'ers should fit on the roof of a crew cab no problem. Thanks.

One thing to consider.. With one kayak on mine (like the picture) I can put it in the center and it is ok. When I have 2 up there, I have to put them a little farther forward so they don't make contact with the front cap of the 5er on tight turns.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe this, rear basement:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ByTheRvr
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch Oven Man wrote:
Just saw this on Open Range website the other day. Pretty nifty for folks wanting to have a fiver and canoe/kayak/paddleboard.

http://www.openrangerv.com/Unit-Spec-Sheets/Roamer/RF346FLR.pdf

I must have missed something because I don't see where there is anything here for loading a kayak.??

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this on Open Range website the other day. Pretty nifty for folks wanting to have a fiver and canoe/kayak/paddleboard.

http://www.openrangerv.com/Unit-Spec-Sheets/Roamer/RF346FLR.pdf

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:
This is what my 10' kayak looks like with a roof rack:

What make of roof rack do you have?
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ByTheRvr
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:

We will be upgrading our TV to a diesel when we upgrade our trailer and should consider a crew cab for extra inside storage and more options for a roof rack. It looks as though our 10'ers should fit on the roof of a crew cab no problem. Thanks.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer

KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

PFitt
Explorer
Explorer
This is how we carry ours!!Mounted off rear hitch!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I chose to stack my kayak's so view of stop lights was better!

Added hoop around the front of the upper kayak.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Hobi inflatable is the way we carry

ByTheRvr
Explorer
Explorer
camperfamily wrote:
You didn't mention bikes, but we (as well as others we camp with) have a 2" receiver mounted to the pin box on the 5ver. That carries a 4 rack bike rack. Just clears the trucks. And leave the bed free for firewood, generators, toolbox or whatever.

Yes, we carry a lot of stuff. Your yaks should be just fine on the truck roof, especially if you don't carry 4 bikes off the pin box.

Good to know. I have a scooter rack mounted on the rear bumper through a receiver. I have a '83 Honda 70 Passport scooter, a classic, and it will also carry my mountain bike. We plan to have solar installed on the roof but we also have a Honda EU3000is generator mounted on inflatable tires. I currently lock it in the bed but I'm not sure if there would be space in the bed if I'm hooked to a 5er. Where do you carry your generator? We boondock a lot and the 3000 will run our 13,500 btu air conditioner.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 17' canoe on the roof of the truck. 1 Yakima bar at the rear and a front "T" in the front hitch of the truck. Had the T made higher for better visibility. If I had it to do again I'd just have the "T" made at a local welding shop. The longer addition I had fabricated it of MUCH better quality.

We also camp with several families who carry multiple kayaks. Think up to 6! They get a two person plus three others on the roof racks with no front "T". Yakima racks all around. Have not heard a single complaint. The other smaller boats (kids) go inside the trailer.

You didn't mention bikes, but we (as well as others we camp with) have a 2" receiver mounted to the pin box on the 5ver. That carries a 4 rack bike rack. Just clears the trucks. And leave the bed free for firewood, generators, toolbox or whatever.

Yes, we carry a lot of stuff. Your yaks should be just fine on the truck roof, especially if you don't carry 4 bikes off the pin box.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch